Beginner Waterfall

Roy, that has worked out pretty well, I think. Not an expert in waterfall pics at all, BTW. I do find the OOF bits in front quite distracting; it's not a total no-no as a compositional device, I think, but these are straying into the main subject in a rather weird way. I know it would probably have meant stepping off the bank, but if you could have moved forward a bit it would have helped. I think the shutter speed was pretty good: the waterfall does not look frozen, but the nearer water still shows movement rather than everything being milky.

I agree with Chris's comments about the OOF bits. OK at the bottom of the pic, but not above that. I get the impression that you probably had little room for manouevre in respect of your viewpoint. You could have eliminated the undesirable OOF items with an editor. A tad more highlight detail in the water could help. All that apart, the shot is actually pleasing to my eye. The lighting is nice and contrast and vibrance is pretty much spot on (y)

Hi. As mentioned the foreground framing is a distraction, but would the focusing be better reversed.
The foreground be in focus and the waterfall and background get progressively less so, it would seem to be the natural way and less confusing for the viewer.

Not sure what you mean,that's how it was,that's how I photographed it?

Hi. What tried to say was if you had focused on the foreground, the branches framing the picture; or if you had a deeper DOF and focused a part way in the foreground would have been sharper and the image going softer as the distanced increased. I guess you focused on the waterfall as the reeds and grass in the background are relatively sharp, particularly when compared to the foreground.

To tell the truth as a beginner I went out to freeze water,nothing else,just learning how the camera works.

The waterfall is good a nice blend of milky flow and movement. It is easy to keep on going and lose sense of motion.

Back