Waterfalls in Wales

Name
Stuart
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,
Could I have some honest critique on this image please. The original image was produced using HDR. I then created 2 layers, the top layer was converted to B&W and an infra red filter applied. The bottom image was converted to B&W with no filter. I then erased part of the image to reveal the bottom layer. Please do be honest.
Thanks

Gwrdu01_B_W_01.jpg

Here is a less processed image.

Gwrdu01.jpg

Last edited:
In all honesty, a nice scene has been spoiled by poor processing. I like the composition and I would be interested to see the original, or just as a nice B&W without the HDR. I find this type of processing makes everything look soft and a bit too fake for me.

In all honesty, a nice scene has been spoiled by poor processing. I like the composition and I would be interested to see the original, or just as a nice B&W without the HDR. I find this type of processing makes everything look soft and a bit too fake for me.

I rather agree with this.

HDR is great if not over done, I think there has been too much processing? Maybe just left as HDR, or a black& white conversion?

Good composition though!!!

Unfortunately a lot of people seem to use HDR in an attempt to "rescue" an image which was taken in poor light and most of the time it doesn't work that well...my guess is this is one of those shots:shrug:

Why not bin the HDR processing and go for a straight B&W conversion, I think it would work better

Simon

I agree with everyone else. The HDR just confuses my eyes. I want something a lot simpler and easier to picture. The bottom rock looks a bit too dominant, get rid of it altogether.

Thank you for the comments. I'm curious, if I hadn't mentioned HDR would the comments still have been as negative? I don't like over the top HDR images myself but just felt in this case it helped 'lift' the scene. Hey-ho. Each to their own though. :)

Last edited:
I'd have said yes personally. The photos have a characteristic over-cooked (IMHO) HDR look to them, and I'd have to agree with the above comments

I'm afraid I'm going to add another "why bother?" comment. To be quite blunt, why spend so much time processing a mediocre image?

Silk Purse / Pig's Ear?

Spend more time out in the field searching out better images which will stand up to scrutiny on their own without layers and layers of "processing". You'll enjoy yourself more!

Thank you for the comments. I'm curious, if I hadn't mentioned HDR would the comments still have been as negative? I don't like over the top HDR images myself but just felt in this case it helped 'lift' the scene. Hey-ho. Each to their own though. :)

Yes it would have, and it's blindingly obvious it's HDR, whether you say it is or not. I prefer the colour version, and I feel in the right conditions you could get a nice shot here. I think this could've been much better, had it been better perfected in camera.

Yes it would have, and it's blindingly obvious it's HDR, whether you say it is or not. I prefer the colour version, and I feel in the right conditions you could get a nice shot here. I think this could've been much better, had it been better perfected in camera.

Can't have been that blindingly obvious, the colour version was produced using HDR as well.
Like I say, thank you all for taking the time to post your thoughts. Would have been nice to receive more constructive points instead of 'its HDR its cr#p'!

I value critique as its the only way we learn and improve, but will be reticent about putting images on here again. We aren't all genius's with photography.

Can't have been that blindingly obvious, the colour version was produced using HDR as well.
Like I say, thank you all for taking the time to post your thoughts. Would have been nice to receive more constructive points instead of 'its HDR its cr#p'!

I value critique as its the only way we learn and improve, but will be reticent about putting images on here again. We aren't all genius's with photography.

Sorry if you feel piqued.....I can imagine how it feels. But in many people's opinion, getting images right in camera - as far as possible - is the first priority in photography. Processing is the icing on the cake.

I said its better, I didn't say it's not HDR.
If you read my original post you will see I did comment saying I liked the composition, and that processing had spoiled it.
I'm not saying we're all genius', and I'd be the first too admit I'm an absolute amateur. You obviously have an eye for a shot, I think the processing just needs to be toned down. Some HDR can look very good, but it needs just the right amount.
Getting the photo right in camera does reduce the need for these sort of techniques, however if you like them, then keep doing it, it's your photo at the end of the day. No one can tell you what your shot should look like, however posting in the critique section, you're going to get people criticising your shot as well as supporting it.
I apologise if my post came across the wrong way, as it certainly isn't what I intended. I can't help you on processing HDR's, as it's not something as I do, but compositionally, I really like it, and the shutter speed is spot on to make the water look good and flowing. I reiterate that I would like to see a B&W and colour without the HDR, as I think there is a great shot hidden in there!

Last edited:

I mentioned trying a non-hdr black & white conversion in order to be constructive, have you given it a go, it might be worthwhile

Simon

It is dead obvious I'm afraid. It is much better to learn to get it right first time, and only use such special tools sparingly where necessary

It is unfortunately a very high dynamic range scene, and the only way round it is to hide the sky by composing accordingly, or perhaps waiting for better light. HDR does nothing positive here, just adds some weird muddy look and destroys the depth

Back