Waterfalls near Cardiff

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
Can anyone suggest any waterfall's/streams/brooks etc near Cardiff for long exposure photography?

How far from Cardiff are you thinking? There are tons of waterfalls on the main road from Port Talbot / Neath upto Merthyr.

Brecon Beacons best place Google waterfall walk Talybont on Usk Its a stunning place. 28 miles and 44 minutes from you. If you can go in the week its a lot more quite.

Last edited:
Cheers, I'll look at that...not that far from me and quite easy to get to

Muzzy, I stay in Pontypridd quite often, I have family there. There are great waterfall walks just 20minute drive from Ponty, look on google for the waterfall center, brecon beacons. some you can walk behind and there's another one just 5minutes drive from the center that they used for the bat cave in the lastest batman movie.

Here's some links.

The batcave one. http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attrac...s-Henrhyd_Waterfall-Coelbren_Powys_Wales.html

and the waterfall center: http://www.breconbeacons.org/waterfall-country-walking-trails

This one you can walk behind and it's right at the end of the red route on the map in the second link. http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attrac..._Eira-Brecon_Beacons_National_Park_Wales.html

The trouble isn't finding waterfalls in the area, it's fitting them all in and deciding what ones you want to see. The area is riddled with them

That looks great, think I'll check it out sometime this week

That looks great, think I'll check it out sometime this week

I went a few weeks back. the only problem I found was the angle of the sun this time of year. It didn;t get high enough to get any decent light down into the falls because they are in such a narrow valley. I don;t know what it will be like now. I went before the clocks went forward.

That's a good point, there are some apps to check the position of sun

I find on that waterfall walk it's best to go on a cloudy day as you get a much better even exposure - can be hard to nail it otherwise. But it's a cracking walk with loads of photo opportunities.

I find on that waterfall walk it's best to go on a cloudy day as you get a much better even exposure - can be hard to nail it otherwise. But it's a cracking walk with loads of photo opportunities.
Indeed. High sun with clouds would make it perfect.

If you head up to Llanwyno from Ponty you'll find a nice little waterfall up there. It's named Pistyll Golau and is about a 20 minute walk from the pub (Brynfynonn Inn).

I have a photo of it in my Flickr feed if you want a look before c omitting yourself.

James

If you head up to Llanwyno from Ponty you'll find a nice little waterfall up there. It's named Pistyll Golau and is about a 20 minute walk from the pub (Brynfynonn Inn).

I have a photo of it in my Flickr feed if you want a look before c omitting yourself.

James
Where would I find your Flickr, I'd like to check out that waterfall, cheers

Here you go:
Pistyll Goleu Llanwonno by vtrjames88, on Flickr

There is also a waterfall that flows quite heavily (after a good spell of rain) just below the Rhigos mountain road. I've never been there myself but I'd imagine you can walk there from Blaencwm or the top of the Rhigos itself. If you were to head over the Bwlch mountain towards Ogmore vale, there's a waterfall there too; you can quite literally park the car next to it.

James

Back