Watermark or copyright, is it worth it?

Name
Dom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey, I'm starting to get a few photos together, so was thinking about opening a Flickr account.

I'm by no means a commercial photographer, but I don't like the idea of people stealing my work.

I know I can put watermarks on photos, but I don't really like the idea of having text splashed across the pic I took so long to remove all blemishes from. Are there any less obtrusive ways I can put people off using my work without permission?

Thanks,

Dom

Sadly no, if it's easy to remove or ignore the theives will remove it etc, on the other hand if it's big and bold enough to deter it being pinched they it'll spoill the pic. Your dammed if you do and dammed if you don't. Most put a watermark on but accept if it's on the net somebody will probably "borrow" it at some point in time.

Is the best way to watermark just to create a new layer with the text I want, and reduce the opacity?

Dom

Are you using Lightroom or Photoshop

It's really easy to do in LR as it has a publish function (direct to Flikr!) and in PS you can make this an action/preset to apply to all files that you want to and you can then upload them

Is the best way to watermark just to create a new layer with the text I want, and reduce the opacity?

Dom

I will often use the bevel/emboss instead of a low opacity text. To do it take the fill opacity of your text/logo layer all the way down, and play with the bevel emboss sliders till your happy.

Am I right in thinking Flickr doesn't like users using watermarks? I'm sure there's something in their t's & c's - although it maybe relates to company names/ marketing.

Back