Waterproof Pocket Cameras

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Thinking of getting a pocket camera for using in the rain, not for going underwater, holiday snaps too.

I'm currently pocket cameraless after losing my precious Canon G7X, so though I might replace that with something showerproof.

Just had a quick google and ...

Ricoh WG-50 @ £200 / Panasonic FT30 @ £110 / Fujifilm XP130 @ £100 .... all look interesting.

Thanks ....

Olympus TG4 (may be 5 now) is a good little camera but a bit more expensive

Olympus TG4 (may be 5 now) is a good little camera but a bit more expensive
Thanks Chris ... yeah around £350-£400 I think. But bigger aperture. Hmmm how do I explain that to the Mrs.

I bought an earlier Fuji XP model for our daughter to take to Guide camps and Skiing where she wasn't allowed to take her phone.
It takes decent pictures and was user friendly. It hasn't seen much "action" use but still going strong 3-4 years later.

The XP130 is available refurbed here - I bought a refrub Fuji years ago and apart from a white box it was indistinguishable from new and still works
https://shop.fujifilm.co.uk/digital...ras/compact-cameras/finepix-xp130-refurbished

My builder friend swears by the Olympus Tough line. They survive all the abuse his men give them and the pictures of his work have saved him from arguments with clients and other contractors about what has and hasn't been done properly.
Olympus have just announced the Tough TG 6 so there may be deals on the 5 if you are patient.

Thanks guys.

I visited a couple of camera shops yesterday PM, was able to play with the Panasonic FT30 and the Fujifilm XP130 and was not impressed. I don't know what I was expecting for £100. They work under water, that's cool, but they are totally automatic inc. the AF which jumps around.

I don't need an underwater camera, I want something pocketable to use for a quick shot when in danger of coming in contact with the odd spot of rain. And PASM modes would be nice.

I've just dug out a ten year old TZ8, hasn't been used in five years .... lets see how that performs in the rain. Street shots featuring brollies and puddles. ;)

panasonic_lumix_dmc_tz8_review.jpg

Look for Nikon Coolpix AW

Street shots featuring brollies and puddles. ;)

You don't need a fully submersible camera for that. Any camera will do. Most cameras will survive a few spots of rain. (y)

You don't need a fully submersible camera for that. Any camera will do. Most cameras will survive a few spots of rain. (y)
Yes ... that reminds me I've got a perfectly good, low mileage, NIkon D40 + 18-135mm lens, perhaps I should put that to good use.

Yes ... that reminds me I've got a perfectly good, low mileage, NIkon D40 + 18-135mm lens, perhaps I should put that to good use.
Unless it's hammering down you should be fine. Just try to keep water from getting in a lens that 'telescopes'. Having a towel or cloth to dab rain off is also a good idea.

Back