Waterproof Rucksack

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I am planning a trip which will involve several small boat rides consequently I am concerned that I will get my photographic equipment wet. Does any member have any suggestions as to a small "walkabout" rucksack which will serve the following requirements:-
1. 100% waterproof - ie. floats if dropped in the water.
2. Large enough for a 7D, 100-400mm lens, 10-20mm lens and possibly space for a waterproof jacket.
3. Folds flat so that I can put it in hold luggage. I will be taking a larger Manfrotto rucksack for my gear as cabin luggage.
4. Easy access to camera / lenses etc during the boat rides.

This is probably an impossible ask but I would welcome any suggestions.
Thanks
John

A proper dry bag like these would be needed if you want 100% waterproof. Add a padded camera module(also know as ICU) to put in side it.

I don’t think you can get something that floats if it’s dropped in the water. 100% Waterproof and easy access don’t go together. You can usually have one or the other but not both.

As others have said sack plus dry bag. Waterproof rucksacks are about but they at a recipe for
a very sweaty back.

A second dry bag inflated should make the whole lot float.. Best weigh your camera and try it with some rocks first .

Last edited:
I've had a couple of waterproof rucksacks and they really don't last, the waterproofing wears through quite quickly where they get constantly folded. As others have said a waterproof bag inside a normal rucksack is the way to go.

Thanks for your replies and links. I like the idea of putting a padded insert in a dry bag/rucksack as this hopefully could be used in my main bag and just transferred when required. However I do realise that I will have to sacrifice quick/easy access to my kit. The alpkit bag looks good.
Cheers

Maybe an F Stopper ICU in a Kriega bag. I've used them for thousands of miles on my bikes, and they are properly waterproof.https://kriega.com

Hi John
Google the Lowepro dryzone 200 I just got one off eBay never used still got tags on £100
Quite an expensive bag but they are fully submercible, it's a stunning bag
Lots of room , plenty of vids online
Extremely well made
Chris

Attachments

• thY9RJPTPY.jpg
    thY9RJPTPY.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 16
Back