Waterproof Tripod Leg Covers

Name
Glynn
Edit My Images
No
In my search of wildlife, I often find myself wading through foreshores and rivers with my tripod, or monopod.

Just bought a set of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JVHDJJQ/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In shallow water, I had previously used plastic bags and tie-wraps. - Had never seen these before and as they are 'full length', they should save me a LOT of time, stripping down my Gitzo Tripod after frequently getting it wet!

Op/Tech has sold something like that for quite a while, but might be lighter weight. IMO they are kind of disposables like the really cheap rain covers are; I don't use them.

I would use duct tape over the foot portion to reinforce them, otherwise they will likely have a hole in short order. Also, rubber bands/twist ties to hold them snug around the foot... helpful when the legs are shortened.
Anymore I don't tear down/clean my tripods unless they start to work less smoothly, or they were exposed to salt water (which almost never happens).

The very best tripod I've yet come across for that sort of environment is the Benbo. The lower part of the leg is outside the upper part so you can stand it in 18" of water without risk of moisture getting into the join. It's just about the most flexible portable camera support available although it's in no sense lightweight...

Benbo Tripod in use DSC00704.JPG

Those tripod wellies look handy. Not seen anything like that for sale outside the US before (y) Very useful when working in/by the sea.

The very best tripod I've yet come across for that sort of environment is the Benbo. The lower part of the leg is outside the upper part so you can stand it in 18" of water without risk of moisture getting into the join. It's just about the most flexible portable camera support available although it's in no sense lightweight...

What makes the Benbo good for standing in water is not the outside bottom section (many if not most tripods are waterproof to the first section joint) but the fact that it's a two-section design with correspondingly long sections. Unfortunately, this also makes the closed length much greater and they're very heavy.

Some people don't seem to get along with the Benbo's (unique?) uni-lock mechanism but once you get the hang of it they're great for setting up on uneven ground. Made in UK too - pretty sure that's unique these days ;)

What makes the Benbo good for standing in water is not the outside bottom section
We'll have to agree to disagree on that.

I use a Benbo standard, a relatively lightweight Uniloc copy and a Benbo unipod. Any tripod or monopod with inside bottom sections will push moisture into the clamp area which is a possible source of problems. The Benbo design simply can't do that unless the top of the bottom section is covered in water.

I also regularly use my Benbo MK1, which is an INCREDIBLE product for getting shots in almost any angle/situation. including water up to a couple of feet. In fact, I would go as far as saying that every serious photographer should buy one. - Second-hand ones, can be bought on ebay for around £50.00! - However, they are very heavy and a bit like wrestling with an octopus, until you get used to the system.

The advantage of these waterproof covers (against any others that I have seen), is that they will protect to a height of 150cm, which will protect the entire leg length when extended on my Gitzo 5532L.

That looks like a nice product, other than the price!
I suppose it depends on how long they last.

Are they likely to last twice as long as the polythene based models? If so, that makes them cheaper. But, of course, I have no hands-on experience of either them.

It just occurred to me that I have a roll of 2.5" 3mil poly tubing... it cost less than $20 for 100ft of the stuff. Cut to length/heat seal one end and you can have a whole bunch of leg covers.
I still don't like the idea of "disposable" plastic when it's not necessary... so I'll probably not be making/using any.

Back