Waterproofing a hide

Name
Laurence
Edit My Images
No
I put up my new Ameristep Doghouse yesterday and while it was dry I used up a spray canister of waterproofing that was about 2/3 full.

This morning it was sodden inside. I'm wondering it its worth buying some more spray or whether I'm on to a hiding for nothing ( no pun intended).
Any advice gratefully received.

Condensation ? The hide should have been waterproof as bought now you have sealed it and the damp inside cannot pass out into the atmosphere so hey presto condensation.

It depends on which waterproofing you have used. I use Nikwax TX10 and it is waterbased (the water evaporates and leave the waterproofing) If yours is something like this, then it's probably the water not able to evaporate and ending up 'inside'.
Turn the hide inside out to dry is all you need to do.

Probably.

Turning an Ameristep inside out is probably like changing a rhinos nappy but I take the point about airing it although I suspect it simply wasn't waterproofed enough to cope with the rain the last two days.

I'll give the Nikwax a go, cheers (y)

I put up my new Ameristep Doghouse yesterday and while it was dry I used up a spray canister of waterproofing that was about 2/3 full.

This morning it was sodden inside. I'm wondering it its worth buying some more spray or whether I'm on to a hiding for nothing ( no pun intended).
Any advice gratefully received.

Condensation ? The hide should have been waterproof as bought now you have sealed it and the damp inside cannot pass out into the atmosphere so hey presto condensation.

What damp inside?

I'm confused, it sounds like BOGER has got it spot on!

I'm confused, it sounds like BOGER has got it spot on!

I can see why you're confused, my reply is somewhat daft and I apologise.
I was wondering how it got damp inside through condensation when it was originally dry and seems to have adequate air flow through it.

When I've applied spray to further the proofing of an already proofed tent it has stayed dry inside.

I'd got the impression that this hide was not waterproof to begin with. I will take on board the advice here and shut up.

Does in have an integral ground sheet?

If not, or if it's torn, it's just capturing the moisture leaving the grass/ground.

Back