Watzmann Sunrise, Bavaria

Name
Alastair
Edit My Images
Yes
Back at the end of October I managed a 4 day landscape photography trip with one of my friends. I now live in Munich so it was great the explore some of the local area. Towards the end of the trip we spent two days in Berchtesgaden, little did we know that while we were there the Covid rates shot up to be the highest in Germany at the time, but thankfully landscape photography meant that we didn't come into contact with many people!

While researching locations I was struggling to find much inspiration or knowledge about where to go for a good autumnal view of the Watzmann, however some friends in Munich suggested that we headed up to the Grünstein as they had brilliant view from there the previous autumn. It was a short, but steep walk, but it was certainly worth the effort. We got there faster than expected so did some pre dawn (even pre-blue hour photography) which was fairly cold as it was very sub zero! There is a blog post here with location info: Bavaria Landscape Photography – Berchtesgaden

The sunrise was unexpectedly good, as just before sunrise a load of cloud appeared which was a great surprise. Here are my favourite two images looking towards the Watzmann, shot within a few mins of each other. In hindsight I think I used too much polarisation in the non panoramic image, but it's all a learning game.

I would love any c&c on how these could have been further improved.

1#

Sunrise over the Watzmann, Bavaria
by Alastair Begley, on Flickr

2#

Sunrise over the Watzmann, Bavaria
by Alastair Begley, on Flickr

Last edited:
Wonderful photos. I mentioned in another thread that if I had my life over I'd choose to live in Bavaria and your photos are an example, one amongst many reasons.

How about Neuschwanstein Castle with snow and next autumn too ? I've been to see it.

Simply glorious.
Thank you
Stunning, is Berchtesgaden near konigsee lake?
Thank you. Yes it is the town below Königssee
Wonderful photos. I mentioned in another thread that if I had my life over I'd choose to live in Bavaria and your photos are an example, one amongst many reasons.

How about Neuschwanstein Castle with snow and next autumn too ? I've been to see it.
Thanks. I am very lucky to have the opportunity to live there for a few years. It is certainly a stunning area.
Yea Neuschwanstein is certainly on the list!
Very nice shots
Thanks
Couldn't you reduce the saturation and luminance of the sky if you feel it is over-polarised?
I will try that, thanks for the advice

I love both these pictures. Mega work

Loved your blog - the best one is the one you didn't post but the second to last shot on your blog is masterful. One of the finest landscapes I've ever seen in fact.

Now - I like this picture so much I am going to go there and do that hike through the morning to get there for dawn.

Question - on the hike was there anything challenging like rope bridges, ladders etc.

Last edited:
I love both these pictures. Mega work

Loved your blog - the best one is the one you didn't post but the second to last shot on your blog is masterful. One of the finest landscapes I've ever seen in fact.

Now - I like this picture so much I am going to go there and do that hike through the morning to get there for dawn.

Question - on the hike was there anything challenging like rope bridges, ladders etc.

DSCF1294.jpg

thanks. It's interesting how different people have different takes on landscapes, I love the light on the mountain, but then find the rest of the scene is a bit dark and flat compared to the pre sunrise photos.

There is a 4x4 track most of the way up, it goes to a small hut. Then there is a smaller path to the summit, but there was nothing technically challenging or exposed. I did it with someone who would certainly not class themselves as a hiker.

Firstly I think both are stunning. I personally like the 2nd as it feels more balanced ie mountains in the frame but my only comment, not criticism was personally I feel it could have benefitted from a bit more sky/space above it.

DSCF1294.jpg

thanks. It's interesting how different people have different takes on landscapes, I love the light on the mountain, but then find the rest of the scene is a bit dark and flat compared to the pre sunrise photos.

There is a 4x4 track most of the way up, it goes to a small hut. Then there is a smaller path to the summit, but there was nothing technically challenging or exposed. I did it with someone who would certainly not class themselves as a hiker.
I just love that image. Nothing flat or lifeless there.

Im not a hiker, I'm prepared to walk/treck on trails and gain maybe 1000m altitude for a picture though.

This year or next I am doing this

Lovely shots. The last one on your blog is my favourite though, (First Light Over Berchtesgaden), great shot.

I‘ve been there a couple of times. It really is a fantastic place, (you’d love it there Steve @SFTPhotography - if the lake was still when you where there you’d probably never want to come home. :) )

A bit further south and you’ve got The Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse as well.

Jeez, I can’t wait to go back there...

I just love that image. Nothing flat or lifeless there.

Im not a hiker, I'm prepared to walk/treck on trails and gain maybe 1000m altitude for a picture though.

This year or next I am doing this
I have revisited it and think I prefer it after a slight tweak now I have a computer again and editing is a bit easier than on the iPad.

Well thankfully you don’t have to gain 1000m for this, it’s a much shorter walk in than that!

Lovely shots. The last one on your blog is my favourite though, (First Light Over Berchtesgaden), great shot.

I‘ve been there a couple of times. It really is a fantastic place, (you’d love it there Steve @SFTPhotography - if the lake was still when you where there you’d probably never want to come home. :) )

A bit further south and you’ve got The Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse as well.

Jeez, I can’t wait to go back there...
That image will probably be appearing here some point in the future, I am pretty fond of that one as well :)

I am really looking forward to getting back out and exploring more there, must be so many opportunities hidden away from the honeypots

Back