Waverley Abbey

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
Last edited:
hi, they kinda all look spooky, but in a good way. Like them all especially the last one. Well done

Nice set, particularly No2 although the sky needs something? ;)

Nice set, I'd say that the exposure time was slightly too long as you've got oval stars which suggests you've got the very beginnings of star trails. Unless that was what you were going for. I imagine it's pretty hard to balance the star exposure v lighting the place up.

http://www.lonelyspeck.com/how-to-make-an-amazing-photo-of-the-milky-way-galaxy/

3/4 of the way down the page there is an exposure calculator to get the sharpest images. I wish I had found it earlier rather than spending many cold hours trial and error!

Nice set, I'd say that the exposure time was slightly too long as you've got oval stars which suggests you've got the very beginnings of star trails. Unless that was what you were going for. I imagine it's pretty hard to balance the star exposure v lighting the place up.

http://www.lonelyspeck.com/how-to-make-an-amazing-photo-of-the-milky-way-galaxy/

3/4 of the way down the page there is an exposure calculator to get the sharpest images. I wish I had found it earlier rather than spending many cold hours trial and error!

8 seconds on a 28mm? (1600 ISO, f1.7)

That seems quite a short exposure time, are you sure?

The calculator I found on there is for exposing the milkyway not for avoiding star trails.

Hummmm, that doesn't sound long on those settings. Maybe it's my crappy monitor. The calcs on that site might be labelled for the Milky Way but it is essentially the longest you can have an exposure before the start start to trail so it's essentially the same thing.

A very nice set of images. Number 2 might have been better with some colour in the sky (or some of the cloud movement you got in the others). Also be aware of the stray light outside (I often get caught out by that when using torches to individually light windows). Last one does nothing for me.
Number three really stands out as a different view.

Time is the limiting factor to getting pin sharp stars. Back in the days of film I was taught that 450/focal length would give the maximum time in seconds that the shutter could be open before movement of the stars would be visible.
Recently I've seen people suggest 600/fl or 500/fl. 600 wouldn't stand up to large images or close crops.

With the Q that would give you 17 seconds so there shouldn't be movement visible. Did you use a remote release?

A very nice set of images. Number 2 might have been better with some colour in the sky (or some of the cloud movement you got in the others). Also be aware of the stray light outside (I often get caught out by that when using torches to individually light windows). Last one does nothing for me.
Number three really stands out as a different view.

Time is the limiting factor to getting pin sharp stars. Back in the days of film I was taught that 450/focal length would give the maximum time in seconds that the shutter could be open before movement of the stars would be visible.
Recently I've seen people suggest 600/fl or 500/fl. 600 wouldn't stand up to large images or close crops.

With the Q that would give you 17 seconds so there shouldn't be movement visible. Did you use a remote release?

no I didn't use timer or a remote release, so quite the chance that could have caused movement.

Timer or remote release next time* then Dan

* yes, there should be a next time ;-)

:p we'll see - it's only 2 miles from where i live, but it's not my chosen subject for photography. I'm also trying not to buy stuff :D

just thought I could use the phone app to remote control it :)

Last edited:
Agree with what morfis just said. Definitely do it again and get a remote shutter, they are relatively cheap on ebay but a must for anything starry.

To late in the year for it now, (the Milky Way goes mainly Southern Hemisphere now), but I can see with a bit of practise I can se some outstanding star / MW shots through the windows

Back