Waves of Autumn Light

Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
No
Hello all :) Criccieth beach North Wales 19/11/2011, my annual visit to my local beach. Can not believe its that time of year again to catch the setting sun in this position. as it does not go much further left before it starts returning for Summer.

Thanks for looking C+C welcome

Kevin (y)

This is beautiful! can i ask how you did this, ie what your settings were and did you use filters? am just learning :)

Thank for your comments guys (y) CAT for this I used a tripod and a 110 B+W N DENSITY FILTER, I took a lot of exposures that evening at different times this was a 3 sec exposure....when viewed from camera it was very dark but i got the light from the setting sun how I wanted it on the water, not to blown. the rest is down to post processing, there is all you need here on TP cat to help you, here is a link for filters.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=319012

Kevin (y)

Beautiful shot.

Lovely shot Kevin, but you forgot to mention Wellington boots.

Excellent Shot!. I particularly like the golden light crontasting against the silhouetted rocks andlandscape in background right. The low perspective makes for good composition.

Thank for your comments guys (y) CAT for this I used a tripod and a 110 B+W N DENSITY FILTER, I took a lot of exposures that evening at different times this was a 3 sec exposure....when viewed from camera it was very dark but i got the light from the setting sun how I wanted it on the water, not to blown. the rest is down to post processing, there is all you need here on TP cat to help you, here is a link for filters.

Kevin (y)

Beautiful shot. How long was your exposure?

Very well captured!...I love the ND110's I took a 5 min exposure using one the other week in broad daylight!

absolutley beautiful Kevin- one of your best shots in my opinion :clap:

I hope one day to take shots like that myself

Les(y)

Lovely shot - was at Criccieth this year - went in May before getting my DSLR but want to go back - so many great spots for landscapes!

Hi Kevin. Great location, exposure and framing. I say get it on the wall.

Just one thing, and I know I'm being picky but you did say you wanted to capture the perfect picture one day :)

On the background coastline the halo is quite pronounced. Just an idea but if this was removed would it make it better :shrug:

Just to echo everyone else, stunning shot.
I think a bit of fill light with a flash on the rocks might have just made the difference? I don't want to offend you/anyone by this opinion, maybe its just my style, I don't know.

But i'd be very pleased with that result, well done!

Veeeeery nice. That's certainly ticked all my boxes, and you did well not to get the sun all blown out. Good job!

:)

Kevin (y)

Thank you! got to get me some filters now :)

Hi Kevin. Great location, exposure and framing. I say get it on the wall.

Just one thing, and I know I'm being picky but you did say you wanted to capture the perfect picture one day :)

On the background coastline the halo is quite pronounced. Just an idea but if this was removed would it make it better :shrug:

Cheers Phil Yes I think that was caused when it was sharpened, thanks for feedback ;)

Just to echo everyone else, stunning shot.
I think a bit of fill light with a flash on the rocks might have just made the difference? I don't want to offend you/anyone by this opinion, maybe its just my style, I don't know.

But i'd be very pleased with that result, well done!

Thanks and yes I see what you mean regarding fill light the rocks, I only have whats on the camera at mo. I take it you can fire the flash separately on long exposures ?

I take it you can fire the flash separately on long exposures ?

Yes, you can manually flash (off camera) a few times towards the rocks during exposure and the sensor will pick up the light transmission.

(y)

Happy days could I also use a hand held torch ? lets say for the last 4 secs of the exposure ?

Yes, highly recommend a 10 million candle power torch, which would fill the light nicely into the rocks, a smaller torch would be hard to cover the area needed during exposure. They're quite cheap these days, around £25 for a decent one. The technique is to flick the light rapidly over the rocks to avoid over exposure, but be sure you cover all area of the rocks. You may need up to a 30 sec exposure to do this, which would mean using a ND filter.

Another option would be to use a ND graduated filter to bring down the exposure of the sky to retain the detail in the rocks. (y)

Back