Waves washing over the rocks

Name
Alf
Edit My Images
Yes
Taken at my usual Parton Beach this evening hoping for a sunset as good as last nights (I was at work and missed it) but it didnt happen tonight. the light wasnt bad and the sea was rough so I stuck my variable ND on and played with shutter speeds I liked this one at 2.5 seconds and converted it to mono.
This does look better larger on Flickr though IMO :thinking:

Washing over mono by alf.branch, on Flickr

This will not be shown in colour.
All C&C welcome.

Last edited:
hi Alf
pull the top border down till the rocks and sea begin to stand out more in impact
also i think your horizon is level...:D
good use of timed exposure...must try this myself
is this round the corner from you?

cheers
geoff

hi Alf
pull the top border down till the rocks and sea begin to stand out more in impact
also i think your horizon is level...:D
good use of timed exposure...must try this myself
is this round the corner from you?

cheers
geoff

Geoff
I will look at a crop and I am glad my horizon is level I do try.
Its good to try different exposure times with waves as they are more complex than waterfalls and rivers.
This beach is a 5 minute drive away and I shot it so many times I have a set on Flickr for it with 152 shots in (some are edits of others shots) from my house I can see the light developing in that direction and I get the itch to go.

Parton Beach is well shot by a few local toggers.

Cracking shot! Works really well in black and white, plenty of drama! :clap:

Thansk Steve glad you like it.

I agree with Mr T on the crop but don't lose the entire sky or you lose the context. Lovely timing on the water. Would like to see the colour version or was it cast ?

Chris
Thanks for the comment
The colour shot is not how I would like it due to the fact I used a variable ND grad which can do some strange things and yeah I should get a better strong ND filter.

If I could get it to look like THIS I shot earlier I would have done it ion colour.

This is a cracker. One if the best long exposure photographs I've sen for a while. Main reason is you still have detail in the water.

Slight crop at the top to put the water on the upper 1/3 improves int IMO.

Cheers.

I agree with Mr T on the crop but don't lose the entire sky or you lose the context. Lovely timing on the water. Would like to see the colour version or was it cast ?

alf by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

or therabouts

yes i wasnt too clear...you need a bit of sky to show off the horizon so leaving the viewer with the edge of the rock area as finite
sorry Alf...apologies for any mixup

cheers
geoff

Last edited:
yes i wasnt too clear...you need a bit of sky to show off the horizon so leaving the viewer with the edge of the rock area as finite
sorry Alf...apologies for any mixup

cheers
geoff

Fuddy duddy:D:D

I agree with Geoff tho. A wee bit less sky than the original, perhaps reduced by about 50-75% should do it imo(y)

Well to go against the flow ;) for some reason i like the original pre-crop. The sky has a great impact into the shot. Although nice timing so the crop shot works really well.

you win Alf, a good crop and loads more impact from those rocks
cheers
geoff

Thanks Geoff some nice chap from Cornwall suggested that crop(y)

I like the new cropped version. Great shot and nice processing !! :ethumbs:

Thanks Justin

Well to go against the flow ;) for some reason i like the original pre-crop. The sky has a great impact into the shot. Although nice timing so the crop shot works really well.

Thanks Kelvin

Back