Waxwings Are On Their Way (2011 Sightings Only Please)

Just Dave

In Memoriam
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

As Anyone seen or heard of any Waxwings Yet in Lancashire or anywhere else, I know theyve been spotted in Norfolk, Bradford and Edinburgh

Dave

no but determined to get a shot this year!!

Also (sorry to hijack) where do people go to find out rare birds on our shores? I've found rarebirdwatch which is a text service...is there a forum or site people watch?
I suppose if you find a rareity you dont want the masses taking over!

Birdnet (http://www.birdnet.co.uk/news.html) re-prints rare bird alerts from www.birdinformation.co.uk.

There's a couple of days delay in publishing sightings (fair enough, it's free, while the text service costs 10 quid a year) so while it's ok for planning where to visit next weekend, it's not much good if you want up-to-the-minute information.

no but determined to get a shot this year!!

Also (sorry to hijack) where do people go to find out rare birds on our shores? I've found rarebirdwatch which is a text service...is there a forum or site people watch?
I suppose if you find a rareity you dont want the masses taking over!

I use word of mouth networking also birdforum as mentioned also for Lancashire ELOC http://www.eastlancsornithologists.org.uk/intro.aspx

Best place to see waxwings nearest us is Barrow Great Harwood when the arrive or heres usually flocks in and around Chorley

Edinburgh sightings twenty waxwings feeding on rowan berries in Princes Street gardens

Sightings 29th Nov: Aberdeen

Also Eastbridge (Suffolk)

Not heard of any in Lancashire yet

Look forward to seeing the pics (y)

Edinburgh sightings twenty waxwings feeding on rowan berries in Princes Street gardens

Sightings 29th Nov: Aberdeen

Also Eastbridge (Suffolk)

Not heard of any in Lancashire yet

Look forward to seeing the pics (y)

They wont come to Chorley Dave- its far too wet :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Les :D

as sad as it sounds, I actually follow @WaxwingsUK on twitter. They/he/she/it are giving daily sighted updates (or more regularly some times) on sightings.

Just waiting for Sheffield (apparently, 4 were seen last week but no seen any yet).

Regards
Richard

thanks for those Richard

Looks like we need an easterly wind to blow them this way Dave (y)

Yeah Neil we'll soon be seeing them, text me if you hear of any (y)

They wont come to Chorley Dave- its far too wet :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Les :D

:LOL:

as sad as it sounds, I actually follow @WaxwingsUK on twitter. They/he/she/it are giving daily sighted updates (or more regularly some times) on sightings.

Just waiting for Sheffield (apparently, 4 were seen last week but no seen any yet).

Yeah been following on twitter

Not yet. Haven't seen any big mention for Sheffield yet.

hope you do soon

Some waxwings seen at Winter Hill today.. looks like they heading this way??

Ta Neil, Barrow we need to go have a look, also Topps tiles Bolton they usually go there early as well, soon be in Chorley/Horwich/Adlington :banana:

where did you hear about Winter Hill thats close to Bolton Topps

Here's one to keep you happy (y) Hopefully i will get something better this year :LOL:

dog19.jpg

Regards

Richard

From the last lot we had over, we have'nt got any either at the moment i hope they visit the same place as it should be good for about 5 days. I will keep you updated and be in touch as soon as we get some. I would appreciate it if you do the same (y)
Regards
Richard

There is a shot on birdguides 'iris' from Eastbridge, Suffolk,apparently taken yesterday.

From the last lot we had over, we have'nt got any either at the moment i hope they visit the same place as it should be good for about 5 days. I will keep you updated and be in touch as soon as we get some. I would appreciate it if you do the same (y)
Regards
Richard

I'll keep you posted on when they arrive

There is a shot on birdguides 'iris' from Eastbridge, Suffolk,apparently taken yesterday.

Cheers Mex

Richard, put that shot away...you had enough praise last-year :LOL: mark...

I could'nt resist :D Dave seems to be pinning for them ;) i did'nt want him to forget what they looked like :naughty:
Regards
Richard
On a more serious note i must make more of a effort to post a few images

60 spotted at Princes Street yesterday

THU 01/12/11* In central Edinburgh now c.60 Waxwings*at the West End of Princess St (Gardens) today in trees by St Johns Episcopal Church at 1pm.

Sightings in Norwich this morning 5th Dec

Lets hope so Matty (y) been checking out the local rowan trees lots of berries, quite a few mistle thrush about on them so the waxwings had best hurry up

Any further sightings?
it'll be spring before they get here at this rate. :)

I shall be hunting on Saturday! :) Great thread!

I like the look of these and found sightings in Eccles last week reported on the Mancheser Birding forum ... the poster said it was secondhand info, so may not be that reliable

Ignore that :nuts:
It was posted in early November, so was probs something different as there's no conclusive follow up :wacky:

Last edited:
12 Waxwing Norwich on George Fox way. 11 Waxwing Norwich by jct of Holmes Close & Witard Rd also Waxwing have been spotted in Ipswich

Back