WB with welding glass

Name
Damien
Edit My Images
Yes
I need some help with WB when using a welding glass filter..

How do I setup the correct WB so that I dont get the green look?

I'm using a Nikon D90....

You'll need a photo of something neutral in colour. Ideally an 18% grey card but as a stand-in any neutral grey or white paper will do. It won't be perfect but much better then the unaltered result. Check your camera's manual for how to do that with your camera.

I've tryed to adjust WB in CS4 but cant completetle get rid of the green tint.

Just going to have a read of the manuale to see what it says about custom WB.

If you open the raw image in viewnx, go to quick adjustment then click on white balance. At the bottom it says use Gray point. I use that to quickly sort any problems out.

Custom white balance is easy. Fit filter, Av, point camera at sheet of white paper, make sure the viewfinder is covered, and shoot. Use that as your white balance reference image and keep it on the card so you can go back to it any time.

That will give you a very good JPEG result straight out of the camera. If you want to post process, then most Raw programmes will pick up on those JPEG settings and your colour is already sorted.

Cheers Richard.

I tried putting a custom white balance in, but it made no difference to the picture produced.

I tried taking a pic with the filter on then using that as a custom WB (No affect at all)

Then I tried taking a pic with the filter on of a sheet of white paper and using that (Slightly lighter shade of green)

Can never get the WB right in camera, so have gone back to all my previous pics done with the welding glass and used the eyedropper tool which has worked a treat.

4769222118_8f6cb516bc.jpg

done with custom wb

The problem is, the welding glass doesn't just shift the white balance, as you might find on something like a CTO or CTB filter.

It actually blocks large ranges of certain colours from even getting through. So, there's more to it than just white balancing.

Yeah my welding glass didn't just shift the WB, it did weird things to the colors, and also wasn't even consistent from top to bottom!

Not a problem really if you convert to B+W, but getting good color through it would be tricky tricky tricky.

Never had any problems with my glass. set up a custom wb and away I went.

Ruskins_long_exp.jpg

Straight from camera, apart from a resize, not even a sharpen. 30 secs, f10, iso 200.

I would imagine the quality controls on welding glass aren't necessarily up to those of optical ND filters designed specifically for photographic use.

There seems to be a fair bit of variance as to exactly how many stops of light they block, and the colour casts caused - probably due to the sheer number of manufacturers out there that make them and varying "standards" for their actual intended use.

John, I couldn't agree more. If you go to Ingleton, I'll chuck you my glass to have a try.

I've tryed to adjust WB in CS4 but cant completetle get rid of the green tint.

Just going to have a read of the manuale to see what it says about custom WB.

how are you doing it? if you have a gray/ white/black in shot just use the WB dropper if not take a short of a gray/white/black card and then use the settings from this on all the other shots taken by sync then in ACR

Never had any problems with my glass. set up a custom wb and away I went.

Ruskins_long_exp.jpg

Straight from camera, apart from a resize, not even a sharpen. 30 secs, f10, iso 200.

if you think this has not WB problem I think your monitor need calibrating here it is correct
4777991736_4bf69ee15b_o.jpg

Back