WCMUT....what cheered me up today

I popped into a Pound shop today for some tea bags and I spotted they had Twin Peak bars. Yipee! I used to love these and then they disappeared but now they're back. They're a lot smaller than they used to be but still maybe good value when compared to a bar of Cadburys. They only had the milk chocolate ones so I asked the woman on the checkout if they'd be getting any of the other types but all she could say was that she hadn't seen any. I liked them all :D
 
WCMUT. Getting a new tyre pressure sensor fitted for the same price as the one that was fitted in April last year.
(Or should I be annoyed that they charged too much last time)
 
Earlier today, from our hotel balcony I watched a man fishing from a man-made promontory ..T-shape ..that created a 'lagoon' between it and the small beach area and he threw pieces of french roll into the sea to attract fish. He turned round to get back on his seat only to see 4 gulls swoop down and take it all. He jumped up shouting at them ...lol.
 
Last edited:
Two things.

I've been "building" watches for a year now and today whilst in the kitchen I suddenly thought how lovely it was to wear a watch I'd researched and chosen the bits for and "built." I say "built" because I don't assemble the mechanism, just add the dial and hands and put it in a case. Anyway. I was suddenly very happy about it :D

Second thing that CMUT.
One of my cars started to make a funny noise and I thought it might be a write off as everything is expensive these days and it might not be worth fixing. Happily it isn't a write off and it is worth fixing and it'll be ready to pick up from the garage tomorrow :D
 
If you ever thought the UK shops put stuff out too early, I've just seen Christmas decorations in the shops in France. Baubles, fake trees etc.
 
Browsing shelves at Aldi for something to snack on at work and came across a clone of KP Chipsticks which I haven't seen for years. 'Chippies' - they were by Golden Wonder so I thought they wouldn't taste too bad and actually, they were really good! The curry flavour had a nice kick, the salt and vinegar ones naturally took the skin off my lips!
 
Two things.

I've been "building" watches for a year now and today whilst in the kitchen I suddenly thought how lovely it was to wear a watch I'd researched and chosen the bits for and "built." I say "built" because I don't assemble the mechanism, just add the dial and hands and put it in a case. Anyway. I was suddenly very happy about it :D

Second thing that CMUT.
One of my cars started to make a funny noise and I thought it might be a write off as everything is expensive these days and it might not be worth fixing. Happily it isn't a write off and it is worth fixing and it'll be ready to pick up from the garage tomorrow :D


Hopefully it isn't the Ingenium death rattle...
 
Hopefully it isn't the Ingenium death rattle...

Speaking of death rattles, I thought I heard a slight "timing chain" noise a few weeks ago when starting the car from very cold, but it's never done it since. Shat myself because it's got four timing chains and a shed load of guides etc not to mention it's an engine out job.
 
Speaking of death rattles, I thought I heard a slight "timing chain" noise a few weeks ago when starting the car from very cold, but it's never done it since. Shat myself because it's got four timing chains and a shed load of guides etc not to mention it's an engine out job.
What are you running, a V6 or V8? I know that the Alfa 3L V6's were notorious for a bit of timing chain noise on startup.
 
What are you running, a V6 or V8? I know that the Alfa 3L V6's were notorious for a bit of timing chain noise on startup.

V6. Apparently, a rattle on cold start can be ok with this car, but you need to listen out for it getting worse. It's only been the one occasion, so I'm chilled about it. Apparently, some garges can do the upper chains, tensioners and guides with the engine in place, but if the day comes I'd probably just get it all done properly. Had a look at used cars the other day, ouch. Sod that, I'll keep what I have for as long as possible.
 
Please let me know when the stollen pieces are on sale... :D


Go for it, John. Picked up a couple of packs this morning.
 
Go for it, John. Picked up a couple of packs this morning.

You can leave them alone as well. I have a particular set of skills. I will look for you, I will find you and then I will take your stollen bites from you.
 
I bet you won't!

There were plenty left - we have only a small freezer...
 
Sons car insurance - last year 1550 (17, new driver). Not shopped around yet but his renewal is 580 so almost 1k cheaper!!!
 
Pretty sure Mrs Nod paid for them!
 
A big 5 stars to Tandorio on AliExpress.

I needed a watch crown to replace one which had a jammed spring. I contacted the maker Tandorio and they created a page on AliExpress just for the crown and one cost me £6.41 delivered and ten minutes later my watch was repaired :D

I don't think I'd buy anything expensive off AliExpress but for relatively cheap stuff IMO they blow Ebay and Amazon away for quality of service. It's so easy to contact the supplier or manufacturer and so easy to return stuff if needed and get a refund and I find that's often a PITA with Ebay and Amazon.
 
WCMUT was finding a reasonably priced set of visors for one of my helmets. I did find some a while back but they were over £50 each for both the clear outer and tinted inner.
 
Great to see that our MPs are finally getting to grips with the important things that really affect people's lives.

I wonder what happened to the 1.5 million homes that Angela Rayner promised us? As usual the BBC are making excuses for her.

 
90%+ sure we spotted an Osprey flying over Dawlish Warren at lunchtime. I know they do fly over the area while migrating but this one seemed to be heading inland rather than out to sea. Typically, no camera but did manage to compare shots online with what we'd just seen.
 
I've just built a GMT watch, my first and probably only one.

It was a bit of a faff as I've never handled one before and didn't do any research so how to adjust the time and how to line the hands up phased me for a bit but I managed and now if I nod off when I wake up I'll know if it's morning or evening :D
 
I had one of those amazing coincidences today.

I hadn't heard from a friend for a while which is unusual as they were in pretty much constant contact so yesterday I made up my mind to message them today but I didn't get the chance as the phone rang and... you'll know who it was :D
 
We went for our first long walk around the village today, the first since having the pacemaker fitted last October. On our walk, there is an old vine, on an embankment (South facing) which sometimes had a few small grapes. Today was very different, half a dozen bunches weighing 1.3 kilos, black grapes, quite sweet with tannins from the skin. They say the best things in life are free.
 
The Church of England erring again. It's now closed a display of a tapestry in Leeds Minster featuring the names of people killed in Gaza after it was pointed out to them that it featured,at least, 25 members of terrorist groups. Twelve of them were banned under UK terrorism legislation. Due diligence failing yet again. The church promoted the tapestry as..quote.."An act of rememberance honouring their lives and the immense loss to humanity." In addition, these godly 'love thy neighbour and all people are equal in the eyes of God ' people stopped researchers photographing all the panels making up the tapestry so there could be more. It was the Leeds Jewish Representative Council that brought it to their attention so maybe the researchers were Jewish. The tapestry was produced by the Stitch Their Names project ...by Mary Evers, an Irish activist who has worked with Palestinian people.

A statement by the Leeds Minster "categorically condemns all violence and in particular the killing of civilians and the taking of hostages, by Hamas, on October 7th 2023".

But no tapestry of remembrance for them, I note. It has a ring of antisemitism to me, tbh. More so by the church rather than the designer Mary Evers.
 
The Church of England erring again. It's now closed a display of a tapestry in Leeds Minster featuring the names of people killed in Gaza after it was pointed out to them that it featured,at least, 25 members of terrorist groups. Twelve of them were banned under UK terrorism legislation. Due diligence failing yet again. The church promoted the tapestry as..quote.."An act of rememberance honouring their lives and the immense loss to humanity." In addition, these godly 'love thy neighbour and all people are equal in the eyes of God ' people stopped researchers photographing all the panels making up the tapestry so there could be more. It was the Leeds Jewish Representative Council that brought it to their attention so maybe the researchers were Jewish. The tapestry was produced by the Stitch Their Names project ...by Mary Evers, an Irish activist who has worked with Palestinian people.

A statement by the Leeds Minster "categorically condemns all violence and in particular the killing of civilians and the taking of hostages, by Hamas, on October 7th 2023".

But no tapestry of remembrance for them, I note. It has a ring of antisemitism to me, tbh. More so by the church rather than the designer Mary Evers.

It's table top sale tomorrow at my local church and I'm on tea, coffee and washing up on the day and Sunday too and I'll be donating. All in all we usually make six or senen hundred £. It makes me really angry that CofE spend so much on things they shouldn't be anywhere near and they're talking about wanting to give how much in reparations?
 
Happier stuff...

Nene Royal won America's got talent. Just in case anyone doesn't know she's a 16 year old Thai girl who plays the guitar and does heavy metal type stuff. It's not my thing or Mrs WW's but she's watched just about every video and we're both happy to see her do well. Even though it's not my style I can see she's very talented. If anyone is interested she's easy to find on Youtube.
 
The Church of England erring again. It's now closed a display of a tapestry in Leeds Minster featuring the names of people killed in Gaza after it was pointed out to them that it featured,at least, 25 members of terrorist groups. Twelve of them were banned under UK terrorism legislation. Due diligence failing yet again. The church promoted the tapestry as..quote.."An act of rememberance honouring their lives and the immense loss to humanity." In addition, these godly 'love thy neighbour and all people are equal in the eyes of God ' people stopped researchers photographing all the panels making up the tapestry so there could be more. It was the Leeds Jewish Representative Council that brought it to their attention so maybe the researchers were Jewish. The tapestry was produced by the Stitch Their Names project ...by Mary Evers, an Irish activist who has worked with Palestinian people.

A statement by the Leeds Minster "categorically condemns all violence and in particular the killing of civilians and the taking of hostages, by Hamas, on October 7th 2023".

But no tapestry of remembrance for them, I note. It has a ring of antisemitism to me, tbh. More so by the church rather than the designer Mary Evers.

This is the 'what cheered me up' thread. Are you actually expressing your pleasure at this mistake or did you just post in the wrong place?
 
This is the 'what cheered me up' thread. Are you actually expressing your pleasure at this mistake or did you just post in the wrong place?
Oh dear. No..not atall. It happens with me sometimes. It's religion.It should be in HT with my other post re the Archbishop and the Muslim cleric .Very strange. Well, it gave Nod a laugh and we certainly need a laugh these days.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Nod
It's table top sale tomorrow at my local church and I'm on tea, coffee and washing up on the day and Sunday too and I'll be donating. All in all we usually make six or senen hundred £. It makes me really angry that CofE spend so much on things they shouldn't be anywhere near and they're talking about wanting to give how much in reparations?
You're right,Alan. £100 million is the starting point set for reparations re the slave trade and churches throughout the land have beeen starved of funds for repairs and people,like yourself, putting in the hours to raise funds and I recall you saying you also give your time helping out with repairs. The church has a portfolio worth £11.6 billion.Last year saw an 8% return on investments.. That's it's own numbers . At least, it's set aside £1.6 billion over three years..this year included...so 2026/27/28 for distribution to parishes for the likes of repairs, increased pay for the clergy, missions (abroad,I assume) and another £4.6 billion over 9 years from this year.Both projects will cover all manner of activities so how much will be be dedicated to repairs I don't know.

An Edit..Sunday. I forgot to mention that a lot of funding is going into making their properties net zero carbon emissions by 2030. That's not far away..Churches, cathedrals, schools and whatever else ..they own houses they put their clergy in.That will cost quite a bit.
 
Last edited:
Presumably the Italians (Romans) will be offering reparations for all their slaving?
 
Presumably the Italians (Romans) will be offering reparations for all their slaving?

Don't forget the Greeks and Arabs. Possibly Iran and Egypt too. Actually most nations used slaves at one time or another.

However I also see the nations of Africa are still having to manage the results of enslavement of different people groups over the last few centuries. It's a complex issue because some African tribes were directly involved in enslaving other tribes and then selling them to the slave traders from Europe, US, Arabia etc. and there's no single group that was responsible for what happened although it's inconvenient to recognise that.
 
Sorry for the long post. Peeps will probably get bored...

It's not really the right thread but as we're on the subject... I did read once but I haven't tried researching to confirm or debunk this as figures are very hard to come by... what I once read was that per head of population more people have been taken as slaves from the British Isles than were taken from Africa during the trans Atlantic slave trade. Don't know if that's true or it may be more than were taken than by the British during the transatlantic slave trade but even if this is not true it is true that certainly large numbers were taken by the various invaders including the Romans, Vikings and raiding Barbary types over a period of well over 1,000 years as the Barbary raids only ended in the late 17th century or so.

We have to remember that westerners didn't normally raid inland Africa and capture slaves as that wouldn't have been practical or economical. There was an existing ongoing slave trade with African nations economies depending on it. The western powers bought from Africans doing the enslaving and the selling, the western powers being the willing customers parked off the coast dealing with the African nations and slavers. So who should pay reparations? The British public haven't had slaves for 1,000 years as the abolishment in Britain arguably began with Willian the Conqueror although British institutions and individuals could no doubt profit from slavery abroad. Individuals, companies and institutions may have left wealth garnered through slavery to present day beneficiaries but the people of Britain, institutions and companies have very probably paid vastly more in taxation to fund the various Royal navy and army actions and campaigns to end slavery. The East African slave trade carried out by various Muslim nations went on for far longer than the transatlantic slave trade and was arguably even more barbaric. Where are the calls for reparations from them?

All in all I personally don't want to see a single penny in reparations paid by the UK govt or any organisation I help to fund. Individuals can donate any or all their wealth to whoever comes forward to claim it if it's that's what they want to do. Sorry if that offends anyone but equally I wont be seeking any reparations from any decedents of the Vikings who did so much slaving and other damage in Britain. My family are from Wales and down south (oh the shame...) and I don't know who raided and enslaved there but in the Middlesbrough area there are many Viking/raider named areas including Ormesby, from good old raiding and pillaging and probably slave trading Orm. My family are more likely to have been enslaved rather than been slave traders or owners so do I/we owe anything to anyone currently living in the Caribbean?

All this has prevented me from donating any significant amount to the CofE and any other organisation which has mentioned reparations because I just don't know who's a worthy recipient and who should in fact be paying reparations rather than receiving. As an example, in the USA when slavery was legal and although the figures are probably disputed certainly thousands of Africans / people of African decent were in fact slave owners/traders.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top