WD My Cloud Home

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Has anyone used/currently using WD My Cloud home. Its something I'm considering getting as part of my backup storage. There seems to be mixed reviews for it so advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rich

I currently have this and use it primarily as a network backup. Time Machine (if you use a Mac) seems to be problematic and only seems to allow access to the last two days of backups. It continues to work as a media streamer and allows iPhone backups without issues. Generally works well - what do you want to use it for?

I currently have this and use it primarily as a network backup. Time Machine (if you use a Mac) seems to be problematic and only seems to allow access to the last two days of backups. It continues to work as a media streamer and allows iPhone backups without issues. Generally works well - what do you want to use it for?

I will use it as a secondary backup for all my photos and LR. Was thinking of one or a WD My Book desktop/Passport Ultra for Mac. Have a passport ultra at the moment but looking for added backup security

Last edited:
I've got one of these. It works ok. Pops up as a drive in my network on my Mac, and also on the various other devices we have. You'll need an app to access it from say a 'phone or tablet, although the iPad app is crap and I use VLC instead. It also works with our telly, cos that's plugged into the network. Sometimes disappears from the telly though.

Tbh, it's a basic home storage device. I don't rate it all that highly, personally. It works, but it can be flaky. For eg; if I'm accessing it using my Mac, or iPad, and then want to access it using a Windows Laptop, it then disappears from the network on all the other devices, and everything, including the NAS, need to be restarted in order to reappear. Utter pita, but that's obvs a Windows issue rather than a WD or MAc one.

I use it for backup and as a media server. It's ok at that. Seems to work ok with Time Machine for me, but that's under a much older OS.

I will be looking for a better solution, soon. I'd be happy to spend quite a bit more on a Synology or QNap device, cos they're just better (I know people who use them in far more demanding environments, and they work really well by all accounts). But I may well press my current Mac into service as a server/NAS, it and when I buy a new machine.

In short; if you want sumat basic and not so expensive, just for moderate home use, it's ok. If you're after something more reliable and capable, look elsewhere.

Has anyone used/currently using WD My Cloud home. Its something I'm considering getting as part of my backup storage. There seems to be mixed reviews for it so advice would be greatly appreciated.

Western Digital's My Cloud models, is really more suited for using it as your own personal home cloud storage. It would be your own external hard drive at home, which you can access your own files, either using your own home computer, or any other computers from anywhere else outside of your own home, by means of via the Internet.

If you want it just for backing up your own home computers only, but not planning on accessing it from somewhere else, You could use WD's My Book models.

I've got a MyCloud Home and am reasonably unimpressed with it.

In terms of using to back up files it's okay but for anything else (media streaming, etc.) it's a disappointment and even then the shared folders don't show up on the wife's computer.

I've yet to get Plex to recognise the folders where my images, music or videos are stored and although our TV (Panasonic) can see the drive is on the network it can't connect.

Would I buy another? Not this side of the next millenium :(

Conversely media streaming a okay for me. Just this bloody time machine backup That is driving me batty. The trouble with having too much time on your hands is that I get determined to make it work. I should open the window and launch it.

I have a myPassport Wireless - streams media, acts as a USB drive and if I was prepared to open myself up to SMB version 1 (long since acknowledged as insecure and turned off by default in Windows 10 after version 1809 I think it is - been turned off on mine since original Windows 10 :cool:) I'd be able to use it as a network drive...

However as I use it as a straightforward dump for my image files (SD card in, automatically imports from the SD card, Plex will display the pics) I'm not too bothered that the drive is invisible in Windows 10... I'd much prefer the reduced risk versus having SMBv1 active.

Back