"We Are Back!" - Red Arrows at Linton on Ouse

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
I thought I'd share a few pictures from the RAF Linton on Ouse Families Day.

As I'm sure everyone is aware this was the Reds first display since the tragic loss of Flt Lt Egging.

It was quite an emotional moment as the reds were on approach and over the radio we all heard the words "We are back" as they began their display - sent a real shiver down the spine!

Conditions werent great for photography, so I know these arent my best pictures, but given this was their first display I thought I'd share a few.

IMG_2185 by TykeNRM Photography, on Flickr

IMG_2198 by TykeNRM Photography, on Flickr

IMG_2214 by TykeNRM Photography, on Flickr

IMG_2257 by TykeNRM Photography, on Flickr

IMG_2249 by TykeNRM Photography, on Flickr

IMG_2272 by TykeNRM Photography, on Flickr

Kind regards

Neil

:clap:

They are great shots mate.
Just reading those words made my spine tingle a bit!

I'm sure Flt Lt Egging was sat 'up there' watching, as proud as punch :crying:

Shame about the light but the synchro pair shot is a good un bud...great to see.

Bill

Lovely pics there mate,

sent a shiver down my spine too just reading the words "we are back" they will be here in guernsey on thursday, hope i do them justice as you have.

spike

Good to see the Reds in the air. But a bit too much motion blur on a few of the pics for my own tastes. Plus 50/50 are just 'space.'

Thanks for the comments everyone! As I said, lighting was poor, there was alsorts of haze and generally 'bad air' but I'm glad I got the shots I did, wont set the world on fire but a good record of the day!

Good to see the Reds in the air. But a bit too much motion blur on a few of the pics for my own tastes. Plus 50/50 are just 'space.'

Cheers for the comment, though I'm not sure what you mean. Regarding the motion blur, I take it you mean shots 4 & 6? remember the syncro pair are going full lick at each other - hence the one being tracked is still and the other slightly blurred. Even shooting at 1/1600 which number 6 was (couldn't go any faster without bumping up ISO and risking noise) there is still going to be some blur.
Not sure what you mean by 'space'? When I shoot (well more process) aircraft pictures, I always think its more pleasing on the eye to give the planes a bit of space 'to fly into' to me it looks a bit more natural. Also with the reds, because they have the lovely smoke behind them I also think its nice to have some of that smoke in the shot to give a fuller sense on movement, in that you can see where they've come from - you then see the plane - then there's a bit of space for them to go into.
Granted I didnt do that with number 3 - although he was trailing smoke at the time I liked the clarity so made it a portrait. Numbers 1 and 2 have 'space' to the top and bottom to show the full formation and give emphasis to the fact that there are only 8 aircraft and not 9.

Always keen to here new ideas though regarding shots so any suggestions would be always welcome.

Regards

Neil

That space where John Egging should be is very poignant I am a big softy but I was leaky eyed looking at these..and watching the news last night.

I don't know if they are technically great shots but they tell a story and I think you have done a good job.

Nice to see some photos from this! I had seen a NOTAM stating they would be doing a display in the area. I'm certain I heard them fly over Boroughbridge as well :)

The single photo and the synchro pair shot are really nice!

I can imagine the feeling hearing that said over the radio!

Cheers for the comments guys.

As I said, hearing the "we are back" really hit me - I can't explain why, just like the news about Flt Lt Egging hit me, so did this.

Neil

Back