We got a puppy!

dod

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ebenezer McScrooge III
Edit My Images
Yes
The wife couldn't cope after we lost our black lab so yesterday we went and got this character.

_MG_1364.jpg

_MG_1368.jpg

Aaahh ! What else is there to say ... 'cept may - he ain't gonna be sleeping all the time ...

Poops, piddles, chewed slippers et al ! Have fun Dod & wife !

First is very low res Dod ? And second ... when you can't focus on the eyes the paw is a great substitute - excellent DoF use m8 !

That's not a choke chain round his/her neck is it?

Look at that for a paw!!!

That's a quality dog you have there

I was thinking the same - that paw is defnately brand new and unused, wont take long before that changes though;)

Congratulations on the new addition to your clan:thumb:

Awww..how sweet! Come on then - boy? girl? name?
Looking forward to seeing more pics of this one as he/she grows into those paws!

minimeeze said:
Awww..how sweet! Come on then - boy? girl? name?
Looking forward to seeing more pics of this one as he/she grows into those paws!
She's a girl, 9 weeks old, got her from a game keeper. As for names we're stuck between three Gaelic names right now

Darcy - Dark
Mian - A wish
Dana - Bold

I'm favouring Dana just now but not sure.

Mike Aiken said:
A half check by the looks Steep

Yep, just to get her used to a collar just now, we usually use a rope lead and collar combined.

How about Besom, not gaelic but I'm sure she'll be one :)

Must resist the temptation... I still miss my Springer.

Lovely pup Doddy - and great pics! :thumb:

I used to be in a shooting syndicate and one of the guys was a millionaire a few times over. He bought a Black Lab pup off the Sandringham Stud, so from HM The Queen. He'd never tell us how much he paid for it, but it was a beautiful animal, and he then sent it off for 12 months to the top gundog trainer in the country from about 6 months to 18 months old.

When he finally brought it on shooting days, the dog was a nightmare, barking, howling, chewing up game and generally being disruptive - it wouldn't even walk to heel or return on the whistle. The battle of wills between Robert and his dog was highly entertaining most days. :D

He drove all the way up to Scotland back to the trainer. The trainer listened to his story then took the dog off the lead and walked him at heel into the middle of a field and put him through a half hour routine which just about stopped short of the dog standing on his nose.

Returning to Robert with the dog, the trainer said. " It's down to you mate - the dog is taking the "****" :laugh1:

Sorry to hijack your thread Doddy, but I was just reminded of the story.

CT said:
Returning to Robert with the dog, the trainer said. " It's down to you mate - the dog is taking the "****" :laugh1:

Haha, that happens so often :D Never saw the point in putting a dog away for someone else to train though, what works for someone else wont necessarily work for you.

I remember beating for a bunch of Italians and Americans when I was about 15 or 16. Dad had a Springer which was just about the best working dog I've ever seen, never missed a bird. One of the Americans came to Dad at the end of the day and said name your price. He said "Not for sale" and the guy started peeling notes from his wallet. He was at 3 grand before he got annoyed and told him not too politely to stop :D

Part of it might have been to do with the fact that these guys were all using automatics and anything which moved was a target. An owl and a couple of seagulls got shot as well as one of the dogs ending up with a few pellets :hissyfit:

LOL. I'll spare everyone the shooting horror stories before we're up to our knees in this thread in spent cartridge cases. :D

CT said:
LOL. I'll spare everyone the shooting horror stories before we're up to our knees in this thread in spent cartridge cases. :D

/Off topic..

Have you done some shooting in you time Cedric..:) And with a shotgun..Not the camera.:confused:

busterboy said:
/Off topic..

Have you done some shooting in you time Cedric..:) And with a shotgun..Not the camera.:confused:

Oh God yes.. clays, game, rough and pigeon shooting, wildfowling. It was a sort of religion for about 15 years, and then my best mucker died tragically young and shooting was never the same after that. Haven't fired a shot in 10 years now and don't miss it. I'd get a bigger kick out of working a dog on a shoot than actually shooting now. :)

CT said:
Oh God yes.. clays, game, rough and pigeon shooting, wildfowling.

I bet I have been at the same events as you in years gone by.:shock:

I shot clays for years and was Yorkshire County Champion at ABT and Skeet 3 years on the trot. I was also a North of England team member at DTL more years than I can remember.

Did quite a bit at Bob Garlands place down near you and at Hodnet too..:)

I know a lad called Carl Bloxham a cracking sporting shooter who I knocked about with too, Also Joe Kitson.. Some of these names you may remember..:D

Apologies dod for taking this thread way of topic..:sadcry:

I will shut up now..:smilenod:

"PULL!!" :D

Yeah, remember those guys - Barry Simpson, and who was that farmer who was English Sporting Champion for years. Can't believe I forgot his name. I've seen him working the traps at little club shoots just for the fun of it - great guy.

haha! I like the paw! :)

Definitely a Dana. ;)

Like children - angelic when they are asleep . . . but you don't know what they are dreaming about. I can just see a rope lead tangled round tripod legs . . .

Only jealous!

Dod. just caught this thread. Lovely fella (the dog!).

How about Pronto for a name or am I off target?;)

HIMUPNORTH said:
How about Pronto for a name or am I off target?;)
Cheers folks, we chose a name, Brea, which depending on the interpretation you read means either strong or beautiful, either will do ;)

He looks like a cracker mate, can't beat labs :)

Ribby said:
He looks like a cracker mate, can't beat labs :)

Labs are wonderful dogs and very well behaved..:) Also very good hunting dogs.

As like our sheepdogs on the farm, Obedience is a must in a working dog.

This is our current working dog at home, All grown up now though.. Not a pup any more..:sadcry:

pup2.jpg

that's a lovely pic bb, makes me smile every time I see it :)

dod said:
that's a lovely pic bb, makes me smile every time I see it ;)

Thanks dod..;) That was one of the first pics I took with the 300mm f/2.8 prime when I got it...:D

Here is another from the same day..:clap:

puppysmall.jpg

Lovely pup that :)

off topic... how do you train a dog?

kamion said:
off topic... how do you train a dog?

Lots of love, patience, repetition, trust and consistency. I used to have a springer called Heidi that would sit or lie until I came back for her. Longest I left her was about half an hour. Another dog that broke my heart :(

busterboy said:
Labs are wonderful dogs and very well behaved..:) Also very good hunting dogs.

As like our sheepdogs on the farm, Obedience is a must in a working dog.

This is our current working dog at home, All grown up now though.. Not a pup any more..:sadcry:

pup2.jpg

Wow, what a great dog; I came over from rural Ire when i was ten. My nan had a small farm and two collies. Missed them like crazy when we left, amazing dogs. Ahh man that reminds me of home

Back