We sorely need Canon Cashback now.

Galaxy66

Jeremy Beadle
Name
My name is Mal not Jeremy :)
Edit My Images
Yes
With the huge lens price increases now would be a good time for Canon to reintroduce the cashback incentives, the regular promotion seems long overdue now.

I suppose the same applies to Nikon.:D

As they are the ones that put the prices up I don't think they will be in any major rush to offer discounts already :(

There may still be a chance that the cashback offers will go ahead. The recent price changes were to reset the prices so they could make a similar profit margin as they could when the pound wasn't so weak. Now they have their profit margins where they'd like them I don't see why they wouldn't offer the cashback just like in the past. We shall see :)

Very true!

Are the discounts not to get a final push for sales on a product thats going to be replaced soon anyway?

If this were the case I'd like to see what they replace the 1000D with (seeing as it was under 6 months old when put on offer) or the 10-22mm EF-S

Though I havent spoken directly with him I doubt he can do much better at the moment on the UK prices. Dollar sucks too.

When these companies realise that no one is buying their products due to the hike in prices they will soon either reduce them or start giving cash back offers.....i hope!:D

Cashback offers will still come in i reckon... It just means that they will still cost more then the "original" price (pre-hike) without cashback :LOL:

From what I understand, Canon have increased lens prices by 5%. Add a bit more due to the weak pound and I suppose you would be up to 10-15%. Doesn't explain some massive hikes of 20-30% from UK outlets. If my original understanding is correct, are UK shops simply getting greedy or are there other factors at play?

From what I understand, Canon have increased lens prices by 5%. Add a bit more due to the weak pound and I suppose you would be up to 10-15%. Doesn't explain some massive hikes of 20-30% from UK outlets. If my original understanding is correct, are UK shops simply getting greedy or are there other factors at play?

You're not grasping the effect of the currency. Its fallen much more than 10-15% that you suggest.

6m ago £1 bought just under $2. ($1.98). Today the same £ 1 buys $ 1.37.
thats a bit more than 10-15% fall! Probably 30-40% without doing the maths. The Hong Kong dollar is linked to the US Dollar. The other currencies show similar falls - over 220 yen per pound 6m ago, now 120yen. Same with the Euro - was trading around € 1.50, now hovering around €1.05

Now does the price rises make sense?

Lets just hope canon realise people can't afford such price increases in the current world climate... once there sales start plummeting then i'm sure we'll see reductions and cashback promotions.

I'm just glad that i managed to buy a few lenses last year... a new canon 24-70mm 2.8L in October 2008 could be bought for around £700 on checking e-bay this morning the same lens is over £900!!! that is some rise...:bang:

I think people need to get their head around the fact that for the past 5-10 years, credit has been very easy to get, and the very strong pound meant that imported goods were very cheap.

People who have insured their gear on a new for old basis need to check to make sure they're covered!

The cashback offer only just ended on Jan 12th :p

Hey, on the flip side there is a huge % of people that now want to buy stuff from the UK.

Obviously that doesn't help unless you get paid in Euros. *Happily smiles*

Back