Weather Sealed SLR

Edit My Images
Yes
Was thinking about getting something tough and weather sealed for days when I don't want to get my DSLR out in the rain (often).

I did think about a Minolta AF of some sort, so I could share lenses with my Sony, but then I wouldn't want to get my Sony lenses wet/damaged!

So... Any brand will do. Should be as cheap as possible. Would prefer something at least slightly modern - probably not older than early 90s.

Does that exist?

Canon EOS 3 would do the trick. They're going for silly money these days, considering they were the best part of a grand when they first came out (10 years ago or so). To get weather sealed Canon lenses you're looking at "L" Glass (££££), but a 50mm f1.8 can be had for under £80 new and is a great lens. If you fancy a walkabout zoom you could do far worse than a 28-105 f3.5-5.6 Mark II USM. Neither of the lenses are weather-sealed, but if you are out in extreme conditions a cut-up plastic bag can do wonders ;)

HMM!! not many of the older type, unless you go for the pro lens, are very "weather proof".
Body wise
Nikon F4, F100, F5
Canon EOS 1, 3 maybe the EOS 5
Minolta maybe the Dynax 7, the Dynax 9 has weather proofing as it was there Pro camera.

Can't think of any others at the moment

Have gone for a Canon EOS 50E.

All of the proper pro-SLR options with weather sealing were too expensive. This was under £25 and all reviews I can find of it suggest it's pretty tough and stands up well to the weather.

Only problem is - there are no cheap used EF mount lenses! I'll start out with an M42 adapter as I've already got a few decent old lenses. For going out in the rain I doubt I'll use the likes of my CZ 135mm :bonk:! But there are plenty of M42 lenses cheap enough to be "disposable".

Looking forward to trying the eye controlled focus once I get my hands on an EF lens :)

The Nikon F5 was very, very robust - I still have mine...

Failing that an F3 - you can pick a 'used' (showing signs of wear, but mechanically perfect) one up for about £250 now...not much more than a 'Mint' FM2n

Back