Weather sealing X100v

ped

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys

Do you bother to ‘weather seal’ your x100v? I have a small square hood on the front and if I want to weather seal it needs an extension ring and filter, making the lens a bit longer. I don’t use filters on my RF cameras so don’t want to from that perspective but I’m also not sure I need to because I rarely use my camera in the rain/sand/dust.

Did the previous x100 models suffer from dust ingress enough for me to worry about it or should I just not bother?

Still baffles me who in their infinite wisdom decided adding a filter to weatherseal your body was a good design decision.
Regardless yes I'd weatherseal it with the official fuji filter kit. More so I can use it in light rain and such which is common in the UK than for dust ingress.

Reactions: ped
I’ve heard a few people say their ‘sealed’ cameras let water in during heavy rain (surely a threaded seal isn’t up to much) and haven’t heard any tales of woe from previous editions letting in dust or liquid so I’m wondering if it’s worth it, especially as I seldom shoot in the rain, and when I have I’m usually under a brolly!

I guess it probably depends on how heavy the downpour was and/or how much liquid it was exposed to. Also some people use/buy 3rd party ones and then complain it didn't work. Even still just as you I am not convinced thread seal even from 1st party filter will be much better. But any protection/resistance is better than none if you are caught in a light rain.

Reactions: ped
If you're going to use it in heavy rain you'll need more than just the filter. An Op/Tech Rainsleeve or DIY equivalent (plastic bag with opening for the filtered lens secured with an elastic band) should help a lot. Or shoot one-handed with an umbrella.

If you're going to use it in heavy rain you'll need more than just the filter. An Op/Tech Rainsleeve or DIY equivalent (plastic bag with opening for the filtered lens secured with an elastic band) should help a lot. Or shoot one-handed with an umbrella.

Sure - however as I say in the OP, I’m not likely to use it in drizzle. Most of the cameras I’ve been using are much much older than the x100 with zero sealing, hence my thinking that the camera is probably already better protected than I’m used to

Back