Web space & Bandwidth

Kim

Name
Kim
Edit My Images
Yes
ok then.................I think I have read through this section until I am blue in the face but am still none the wiser so I am hoping you smart guys and girls may be able to help me out.

I am "looking in to" putting together my own website.............I mean I currently have Flickr, but that is more a collection of everything and more a place I go to feedback and a bit of a confideance boost.
I know everyone who seems to take photo's seems to have a site would like to put together something a little more "serious" for my better images.

Now the hosting part is not too much of a problem to me (I have pretty much got a grasp on that through reading all the posts).

But what is confusing me is Bandwidth and Web Space...........................I mean how much is enough.........should I be looking at a certain MB/GB limit......or look at unlimited?

I want a few galleries, contact info, news/blog..............I don't want to find I have gone for too little buit at the same time it is a waste to go for more than I need.

I hope all of that makes some sort of sense, cheers in advance for looking (y)

Webspace is simply the amount of space you are "allotted" online. If you think of it in terms of hard drive, the webspace is simply another disk. Therefore the amount of space you need correlates to the number of files you want to upload. If a photo is 2MB big, you can display approximately 120 on a 250MB webspace with space for the news/blog and contact info pages alongside the gallery.

Bandwidth shouldn't be a concern unless you expect a great number of visitors. Most mainstream web providers offer a sufficient bandwidth.

That makes a lot of sense put like that..............I just find all that part of it very confusing :bang:

Still have a few things I want to look into but that is a big help. Thank you.

Kim, You might want to check out Vidahost and their starter package. Last time I looked it offered a good deal at a reasonable price (about £30/year).

You might also want to do a search on here for web hosting to see what else people have commented on or recommended.

One final tip - before you sign up with anyone do a google search for the name of your chosen host in case there's any discount codes knocking around for them. With Vidahost you can usually find at least a 5 or 10% discount code.

generally its the bandwidth that will cost you money. to be honest just start with the default amount offered on the package and just keep an eye on it. usually the ISP will just take the website offline if the bandwidth limit is exceeded.. but as said it depends how many hits youll be taking.

Kim look at it this way. The webspace is the amount of room in your filing cabinet. The bandwidth represents the number of times people take things out of your cabinet to look at them. Each piece of info they look at uses bandwidth - it is basically a measure of the amount of data going via your host.

I certainlly think that is my best approach.................start small then upgrade if I need to.
Thanks guys.

Just off now to trail through the net and decide who to go with.

Back