webpage designing software

Matt

TPer Emeritus
Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
I have frontpage2003 and dreamweaver but neither do shared headers anymore, what other software is available or what other options do i have for that?

any advice will be greatfully received

What's a shared header?

A header that is repeated on all pages.

Much like we have here..the site logo and navbar is used throughout the site.

I can't see software venders removing the option from their packages.

Are you sure you've set it up properly?

it seems that Frotpage have replaced it with 'dynamic web templates' which i cant get to work

cant find it on dreamweaver, only frames, and i dont know how to use them really either

Dreamweaver has templates. You're much better off coding something in PHP using includes. Oh and Frontpage is really really really evil :)

petemc said:
Oh and Frontpage is really really really evil :)

P&S stuff is Frontpage!
Generates reams of dodgy script. :nono:

A frameset would be the simple answer if you don't know much about php.
On basic html sites, I tend to design a template page with the header and nav bar in place and just resave/rename it then add new body content.

well the problems are:
I know nothing about coding PHP from scratch

I know nothing about framesets

Ive done a complete site in frontpage before but i want to update it, i also want to update my own site, its my worksite that concerns me most though, as its loads of pages and loads of info...

I found borders in FP, it needs to be turned on, but at the moment it wont work...gah

I had a similar problem when designing a website last year, I knew nothing about PHP, and wanted to do something very similar.

Provided you hvae PHP enabled, just slot something like this into the code.

Code:
<div id="header">
  <?php include 'header.php';	?>
</div>

Basically all the ?php...........? does is temporarily invoke the PHP interpreter.

And obviously in header.php, is your header.

Jobs a goodun. Obviously you have to put the above code into every page, but it's good for making changes, and not having to edit millions of pages.
I assume that's the sort of thing you're talking about?

yeah thats about it Bod, i will see how i get on with borders again now ive found them, i used them before and the search engines got on alright with them...

An alternative to PHP is server side includes. Does the same job basically, so if you get on with PHP then just stick with that.

Plus PHP is much more powerful than SSI.

:)

i got round it in the end, frontpage03 requires you to have a site folder befor eit can use shared, then you have to turn it on in the guts of the menus, its a right pain...

Back