Website creation: Gallery tool other than frontpage?

T

The Edge

Hi all,

I'm in the process of making a website to publish some of my photos. I'm currently using Frontpage for everythinhg as it's nice and easy, but very limiting in it's approach to image galleries.

I've seen other people's galleries (Steve's, and some others from OcuK) which look far better than the ones produced in FP, and i wondered what software was used?

Is it possible to do the bulk of the site in FP and the galleries in something else?

it depends on your hosting, if you have sql/php then you can use gallery or coppermine to create galleries, you have some free webspace from your ISP, though i dont think they provide mysql or php(though it worth emailing them and finding out if they can do it)

if you have just space, then you can use Photoshop to create galleries, dreamweaver or dedicated software like Jalbum, i dont know which others there are though...

I was gonna pm you this info but seeing as you posted it, its here instead, then anyone else can benifit from it!

Definiately mail your isp, they might be able to sort out mysql and php hosting for you

My Photo-Alchemy site was designed completely in Flash incl all of the gallery components. This was a custom design and took quite a while, its far from simple and is way past the simplicities of Front Page. If you are new to website design and don’t want to be bothered with learning then you have two choices, either pay someone to do the work for you or use one of the many readily available photo packages.

The latter option usually requires specific components to be in place on your web space. MySQL databases are a common requirement and the two main (read best) freely available galleries both require this. Coppermine and Gallery are both highly regarded, I have used Coppermine in the past and our gallery on this site uses “Gallery” as its main component. If you plan to use ISP provided web space then this may be a problem but if you are going to buy some hosting then most will provide a few databases for your use. Hosting is nowhere near as expensive as it use to be and reliable service can be bought from about £15 a year.

There is one final option that I know of and that is a separate free flash gallery tool called SIMPLEVIEW. I believe they are currently developing a brand new version with more features and the old version while not as feature packed as Coppermine or Gallery was still a very nice and simple to use product. The main benefit is that it requires no specific components, no Flash knowledge and can be run from virtually any webspace.

Hopefully that will help a little?

You're certainly pointing me in the right direction, thanks :)

I think i need to purchase a book or two on photoshop as my understanding of it and web design are extremely limited. As far as image manipulation is concerned it's a case of all the gear, no idea i'm afraid!!

Page templates look quite useful for frontpage, don't kow why i didn't think of them myself :eek:ops:

If you're not after actual specific gallery software, which allows for future uploads etc.
Or you just want to create quick and easy thumbnailed pages of images in a gallery, then give Express Thumbnail Creator a try.

I used it before I went full galleryfied, and its great for the job.

That's pretty much answered all my questions I had in mind a combination of Photoshop and Gallery sounds like the one for me - better get the chequebook out for the Gallery.
Unless someone feels like 'lending' me a copy of theirs...

Gallery is free!

do you have some space sorted already? If your need any help setting up let me know, the gallery on here is Gallery

No space yet - still working on the design and layout as this is where so many photographers fall down.

Back