Wedding Advice

I think some serous work needs doing here. Did you use any fill or is this all ambient. I am guessing the later as the whole thing is very flat.

It seems a little soft.

i am sorry to say but there is very little good i can say about the composition here either.

Do you have any other examples that maybe work a little better?

Sorry if your not looking for crit but i could see a fare few problems in the work and its the best way for you to learn.

Last edited:
I think some serous work needs doing here. Did you use any fill or is this all ambient. I am guessing the later as the whole thing is very flat.

It seems a little soft.

i am sorry to say but there is very little good i can say about the composition here either.

Do you have any other examples that maybe work a little better?

Sorry if your not looking for crit but i could see a fare few problems in the work and its the best way for you to learn.

Thats some sound advice coming from someone who has over 400 posts but yet to post a picture up on TP :thinking:
A pleasing enough shot Gothgirl and as mentioned if they are happy with it then thats fine. As suggested a slightly different crop might suite so they are not so central, also some fill flash might be worth considering if you find yourself in a similar situation. Now that the canopy`s of the tree`s are in leaf you will tend to get a slight cast over your subjects of not only shadow but of colour as well. Did you shoot in Raw? As I personaly think if you have showed them the pics then you must have done a rush job on the editing :shrug:

Thats some sound advice coming from someone who has over 400 posts but yet to post a picture up on TP :thinking:
A pleasing enough shot Gothgirl and as mentioned if they are happy with it then thats fine. As suggested a slightly different crop might suite so they are not so central, also some fill flash might be worth considering if you find yourself in a similar situation. Now that the canopy`s of the tree`s are in leaf you will tend to get a slight cast over your subjects of not only shadow but of colour as well. Did you shoot in Raw? As I personaly think if you have showed them the pics then you must have done a rush job on the editing :shrug:

I will have a go, no I wasn't using fill in flash, everyone was a bit sweaty in the heat and evertime I tried to use fill in flash, it ended in a laminated appearance on the people, yes it was shot in raw.

They wanted the images ASAP, so no time for PP, but they're happy for me to use them as I please for my portfolio, so the end products going into my portfolio will have a little more work put into them (y)

I am not an amateur looking for advice so what difference does it make if i have images posted or not. I get my advice and crit from other places and i am thankfull for it when its needed. I also think i have more than enough experience to offer advice and when i do most people are respectful enough to take it as that.

I will have a go, no I wasn't using fill in flash, everyone was a bit sweaty in the heat and evertime I tried to use fill in flash, it ended in a laminated appearance on the people, yes it was shot in raw.

For the future think about using some type of diffuser this should soften the light a little and you can always reduce skin shine in PP if its a little on the hot side.

Re your signature link for professional advice, you might want to check your spelling pal

So just because someone doesn't post images on here means they cant give advice? I'm afraid I argree with asphotographymk.

For the future think about using some type of diffuser this should soften the light a little and you can always reduce skin shine in PP if its a little on the hot side.

Or I supose the other possible route if you really dont want to use flash would be to use a reflector to bounce some more natural light in there. If you dont have an assistant you can always ask a guest to hold it for you (At my wedding our pro shangheied one of the "uncle bobs" to hold his omnibounce :LOL:) or prop it on something.

Re your signature link for professional advice, you might want to check your spelling pal

Yes i am sure there are loads of spellings mistakes. Serious dyslexia does that i dont often get this site spell checked as most (not all) of my readers are regular and understand i am not a writer but take the info they need.

Last edited:
Or I supose the other possible route if you really dont want to use flash would be to use a reflector to bounce some more natural light in there. If you dont have an assistant you can always ask a guest to hold it for you (At my wedding our pro shangheied one of the "uncle bobs" to hold his omnibounce :LOL:) or prop it on something.

I often get kids to hold reflectors it keeps them busy for a few moments and they like getting involved.

I am not an amateur looking for advice so what difference does it make if i have images posted or not. I get my advice and crit from other places and i am thankfull for it when its needed. I also think i have more than enough experience to offer advice and when i do most people are respectful enough to take it as that.

That is a fair enough comment Andy and my apologies. Finding fault with a picture is fine if that is what the OP is looking for, however imo I just thought that whilst you seen a fair few problems with the shot, that with your expertise you might have given the Op a bit more of a detailed reply as to what she might need to think about doing in future to improve it :shrug:

That is a fair enough comment Andy and my apologies. Finding fault with a picture is fine if that is what the OP is looking for, however imo I just thought that whilst you seen a fair few problems with the shot, that with your expertise you might have given the Op a bit more of a detailed reply as to what she might need to think about doing in future to improve it :shrug:

That is what i have tried to do with further conversation. The biggest improvement would for me have been using fill, this would have totally turned this image around.

I'm shooting my 1st wedding in June. I've mainly done Sports and Wildlife before and am slightly nervous. Have hired a 70-200 2.8 for the day and am hoping to borrow a 2nd body. My question is, do you think my 17-85 will be wide enough for group shots etc?

I'm shooting my 1st wedding in June. I've mainly done Sports and Wildlife before and am slightly nervous. Have hired a 70-200 2.8 for the day and am hoping to borrow a 2nd body. My question is, do you think my 17-85 will be wide enough for group shots etc?

probably if you stand far enough back - you dont want to shoot group shots with a really wide angle like 10mm anyway due to the edge distortion.

last wedding I did i shot the groups with a 18-200

sharkbait said:

I don't like shoot groups with anything wider than a 50, prefer to use the 70-200 but I'm usually doing them outside.

Unfortunately, on this site, the wedding photographers seem to think that they're the only people on the planet capable of taking photos.

meanwhile the walter mittys talk a good shoot but patently fail to walk it like they talk it - like lensflair said on the other thread we are still waiting to see these amazing shots that the new up and comers have taken that put all the established togs in the shade

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of the pretentious bride-and-groom-walk-away-with-their-backs-to-the-camera photographs. My advice is; don't do them. They're not a good look.

I agree, ditto on the arty long exposures of the first dance - but at the end of the day if thats what the client wants....

Thats some sound advice coming from someone who has over 400 posts but yet to post a picture up on TP :thinking

yes because that means they can't offer C&C - I've got over 3000 posts and haven't posted a picture in ages (not including the one I posted today lol)

I see nothing wrong with his advice

Yes i am sure there are loads of spellings mistakes. Serious dyslexia does that i dont often get this site spell checked as most (not all) of my readers are regular and understand i am not a writer but take the info they need.

you spelt your name with only one S BTW :LOL:

can some of you guys just make sure you check your egos at the door when commenting in threads, some of the comments and undertone is not what we want to see, its supposed to be about helping each other

Back