Wedding as second tog

Edit My Images
Yes
Hey guys.

Just after some honest advice here from the professionals. .

A friend of mine has been shooting weddings now for a little while and has been asking if id like to tag along with her for the experience. .

Im fully aware that my equipment is nothing to shout about nor my photos yet but im wondering if it would be daft to not take the chance..

My photos would not likely be used / certainly not charged extra for, id of course check with the parties to ensure they are happy for a second tog and make sure to be discreet & respectful...

Im nervous to take her up on the offer but wondering if it could be a great safe way to test my abilities thus far

Thanks all

Jd

I think it would be a great learning experience for you. Especially (as I know you will be) you're completely open about your experience and set expectations acorrdingly

The only opinion worth anything is hers, and if she's keen to take you along, that's all the info you need. It always puzzles me when people ask the internet stuff they should be talking to their friends about.

I've got loads of mates with cameras and I wouldn't invite any of them to one of my weddings. So she clearly trusts you to behave and btw it's up to her to liaise with her customers.

Even with a paid 2nd, all the important communications are between me and my customers. I'd be pretty hacked off if one of my 2nds decided to start asking my customer stuff.

Thanks for the replies both, much appreciated.

Sorry, didn't word it the best. Id not be contacting people myself as like you say thats not down to me to do.

Just wondered how the lifers on here started out as in the grand scheme of things I guess we are both 'new' to it all considering how long some on here have shot :)

Will probably grasp the opportunity and try to learn new things jumping in at it :)

Thanks

I never 2nd shot till way after I'd shot plenty of solo weddings (and had other 2nd shooters).
Second shooting for someone who is also new is a bit of a recipe for mayhem. Someone has to do the communicating and be in control. Make sure that you and the primary have a plan, and you know exactly what's required.

I think, all photographers started with something simple. But, it's a great experience and i think you shouldn't miss it

Why not, weddings can be enjoyable and a good experience i think. I'd do it and put your friendship aside for the day.
Act as if you're her employee for the day and learn everything you can.
(p.s not speaking as a professional :p only just read that bit)

Go for it but don't be one of those 2nds who follow the main tog everywhere and take exactly the same shots. Use this experience to explore the event yourself and try to capture photos that could be a complement the the main set. I speak from experience as a second shooter and having second shooters (often the 'can my friend a keen photographer shoot on the day too' kind) - the main advantage of having a 2nd tog is that they can be where you can't.

Also, make sure you speak to your friend beforehand and agree on a modus operandi.

Things to discuss:
- ask her about her style and approach and how she approaches photographing people in general, you won't be able to 'match' her style but at least you will be aware.
- discuss timings and where she wants you in crucial moments, also this will ensure you won't be in her way.
- gear - this may be obvious but ask her what you should bring in terms of equipment.
- offer carrying, holding, fetching any equipment she might need.

Overall you don't need to stress, try to enjoy the day and soak it in. Also, it's good to set yourself some sort of a project e.g. ifpractice using one particular focal length etc.

My first wed shoot is coming up soon for my sister. Self esteem is what I lack. Im ok in town centers and public p.o.i. But when it comes to the bit wher I gota direct 20-30 people I dont know. Thats wher im going to struggle.

My first wed shoot is coming up soon for my sister. Self esteem is what I lack. Im ok in town centers and public p.o.i. But when it comes to the bit wher I gota direct 20-30 people I dont know. Thats wher im going to struggle.
I don't know what personality type you have by nature, but I was desperately shy when I was younger. So I used the old 'fake it till you make it' routine. I 'acted' the part of the pro photographer. It helps if you're funny, you can take the Mickey out of yourself, and you can easily spot the type of people you can 'bounce' off.

There's no easy way to put this, but as a people photographer, sometimes you have to be an entertainer, if you're not prepared for that, you'll get nowhere.

Phil v thank you. Yeah jack the lad at work and see your point with looking for the ones who seem to whant to be init hopefuly a chain reaction for others.

One thing to remember if you do go along is only take photos that don't matter. What i mean by that is, if the brides parents come up to you and ask for a shot of them as a couple, say i'll just get the main photographer as I'm only the assistant. You may take 300 great photos but the one photo you get asked for will be the one that does not come out (sods law). It may be you taking the photo but is your friends repartition on the line.

I first shot as a second photographer for a friend and thoroughly enjoyed it, I came away with some great shots too.

The one thing I'd mention is this; Try not to get in the main photographers way.
A second photographer has the ideal chance to catch all of the moments that the main tog is too busy to get. At the same time though, if possible, try and replicate some of the 'big' shots too, you'll get more of a feel for going solo that way.
'Feel' how the day flows, take it all in and see how you like it :)

Good luck!

Im nervous to take her up on the offer but wondering if it could be a great safe way to test my abilities thus far

I keep seeing people post on here asking how to get experience.. how to get on as a second at a wedding.. and here you are being handed it to you on a plate.... grab the oportunity I say :)

Thanks guys awesome replies. Going to speak with her and try to attend any upcoming dates :) ideas & info taken on board so thank you

Do it, definitely. For me, second shooting a few weddings was an excellent way to discover that I definitely don't want to be a wedding photographer...

Back