Wedding earlier this evening

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
I've literally just finished copying the images over, picking only a few from the set to see if Im finally getting on the right track. The set will be full of images like this, I really worked my socks off tonight. I've introduced a new curve action that I have been fiddling with for the last couple of days too, inspired by so many other vintage looking images the only clue I had on how to replicate that "look", was curves adjustments.

_MG_1737 by Carl@CDHPIX, on Flickr

_MG_0853 by Carl@CDHPIX, on Flickr

_MG_0811 by Carl@CDHPIX, on Flickr

_MG_0741 by Carl@CDHPIX, on Flickr

Thanks for popping in

Love it Carl ... not too sure on the PP on #1 but the last one expressions make the set lmao

#3 the verticals aren't vertical.. may be intentional but would say it would be better vertical ;) if you get me ... Vertical right!

Not keen on #1, the skin tone almost matches the carpet ;-)

The last one is great :)

Not sure either on the processing but I really do like #2 look forward to seeing more from today.

Liking #4

But all need to be straightened

1 horizontal (red carpet)
2 vertical ( you can see from the window glass top and bottom)
3 vertical ( the door frame)
4 vertical ( from the wood paneling Behind the great expression) :)

Last edited:

Cheers everyone, the processing was is a test process so I just literally threw a few images against it and havent done any proper work on these (verticals, some cloning), just wanted to see if there was improvement over my others I have posted. One I start going through these, I'd like to post some up, with some different "flavours" to see how it goes - thanks for the time commenting - really appreciated (y) Just a shame, there was no preparation photos, no confetti shots (even though they had confetti), it was drizzling and the bride didnt want to go out to get wet or cold, but I think I got some lovely moments, so will post up some of those when I can - thanks again :ty:

FWIW ...

#2 For the traditional Gazing Out The Window Shot, the problem is always how to avoid what you've got here, which is all that wall behind the bride. By framing it to get all the dress in, you're left with all that wall. If you'd got her to twist as far as she could to her left, then turn back to where she is, the excess would have been behind her and you could have improved the framing to include a touch more window. The other option of course is to crop this shot and trade some of the dress for a better composition.

#3 There's a picture there, but that's not it. Most potential customers will look at that shot and see a nice frock and flowers looking lovely, the back of a bride's head whose hair has gone wrong, and a blurry bloke in the background who seems to have his eyes shut. All that needed was for you to say something to make her turn her head towards you and for him to open his eyes if he wasn't just blinking.

#4 Well seen and well caught, but your problem's the OOF back of bride's head taking up 1/3 of the frame. I do know how pushed for space you can be during the drinks, but you stack the odds in your favour if you can place yourself either pretty much facing the bride so you get more of her expressions/reactions, or behind her so you can shoot more over/round her shoulder and concentrate on the guests without getting an OOF blob dominating the composition. One other trick that's always worth a try when there's a kiddie or two involved is to hold your camera down at arms length, aim it up slightly and put your trust in a wide lens and your autofocus.

BTW, ref both 2 and 3, the general rule is that it makes for a more pleasing composition if most of the space around the bride is in front of her rather than behind her, in the sense that she's looking/turned towards most of it.

HTH a bit

Thats great Dan - for #4, I was standing in a doorway, along with the people in the shot, I have alternatives for 2+3 where the bride is looking toward me and a laughy-head toss back shot of no.4 as well so will pop those up at some point. Not sure why the grooms eyes look shut, there's several shots of #4 with his eyes looking like they're closed, will post some more up later - I really appreciate your feedback on these dan (y)(y)

I originally have 4 curve adjustments so was wondering if this process looks better (I think it does, its not too ott) - but I have a limited perspective on these photos so always good to get another opinion on whether it works better or not

_MG_1758 by Carl@CDHPIX, on Flickr

_MG_1737 by Carl@CDHPIX, on Flickr

Im off to an equestrian show for most of today - even though its chucking it down with rain, I am hoping it will get cancelled so I can start going through the images and binning what are totally rubbish, then weeding out the best shots. Cheers everyone

EDIT: I havent cropped for straighteness on these yet, just one of my other curves adjustments and a little desaturation on magneta, reds and oranges as the canon loves to really overdo the reds

Last edited:
#5 is really unfortunate. The DJ's lights have left him looking like he's being lined up by a sniper. The only real cure is to go B & W with it. Which is a shame, because its a nice photo else.

#6 the processing is better but still need verticles etc sorting. And I'm not 100% on the desat

For me #5 needs a tight crop on them and probably a b&w conversion to quickly get rid of the red blob on his head.

#8 is loads better. If you could be arsed, you could improve it still further by quickly zapping the door-closer and toning down the doorknob. Then you've got a very nice snap indeed for her.

The DJ's lights have left him looking like he's being lined up by a sniper.

And for a bloody nice shot too. If he was really good, he'd neatly part her hair into the process :)

Hi Carl,

Some Nice Pic's.

They do look like they require some colour correction as half of them look quite Red/Pink. Unles this was your required processing.

Do you mind me asking if you are editing them on a Calibrated Monitor??

Last edited:
Hi Carl,

Some Nice Pic's.

They do look like they require some colour correction as half of them look quite Red/Pink. Unles this was your required processing.

Do you mind me asking if you are editing them on a Calibrated Monitor??
Yes, is my processing. Wanted to give it a vintage look that I quite fancied on some other photographer's blogs, so not sure, will do some more testing against some other images and see how they come out - appreciate the time taken to comment - ta v.much!

Thanks everyone - you've all been so helpful - VERY helpful :)

Carl, hope i'm not speaking out of turn here, but, i find the processing a bit, erm, erm, horrible. :sorry: This is purely my opinion though so feel free to ignore and tell me to get lost. It doesn't look that vintage to me, just looks like a crap WB to my untrained eye. Also hate the grain you've added in PP. Assuming it is added grain as the 6D should be clean as a whistle at the iso's you've used.

If this is something that you have been working on recently and not used before, i would definately get the B&G to sign them off before presenting/printing them.

Again, just my opinion and feel free to tell me to p*** off. :coat:

Carl, hope i'm not speaking out of turn here, but, i find the processing a bit, erm, erm, horrible. :sorry: This is purely my opinion though so feel free to ignore and tell me to get lost. It doesn't look that vintage to me, just looks like a crap WB to my untrained eye. Also hate the grain you've added in PP. Assuming it is added grain as the 6D should be clean as a whistle at the iso's you've used.

If this is something that you have been working on recently and not used before, i would definately get the B&G to sign them off before presenting/printing them.

Again, just my opinion and feel free to tell me to p*** off. :coat:
No no no David - appreciate the feedback. I might post up a couple of them with basic PP, just not sure how to get that vintage effect - maybe I'm just doing it wrong - any tips on where I should be heading with it - would be great (y)

Its a decent set Carl, especially some of the revisions you have posted. The PP works in some imo and not in others

I've got 3 samples here, same image - one has just been adjusted in RAW, the other 2 have curve adjustments, opacity lowered down to around 20% or so: which one works best (anyone please comment - freely - I dont care if you dont like them, your opinions do matter).

1.. Basic PP
_MG_0853basic by Carl@CDHPIX, on Flickr

2.. P4
_MG_0853p4 by Carl@CDHPIX, on Flickr

3. P5
_MG_0853p5 by Carl@CDHPIX, on Flickr

I so want to get this right - so if you dont like it - just say so (y)

No 3 for me- the blown area's on the dress are not so obvious Carl

Les ;)

I like 3 as the carpet is too eye popping in 1+2 for me

Any chance of bringing a bit more colour back in on the flowers in 3 ?

Oh and clone out the two marks on the skirting board :)

Last edited:
Been reading this thread with interest as I'm fairly much about to jump onto the weddings bandwagon. (Well, try to!) So treat my comments in that light please. TBH, I'm not that keen on the vintage/retro look myself, but that's personal taste. If you are thinking of going down that road however there are some LR presets available from oNone, for free that might just suit your purpose. As I say, not really my taste but I have played around with them and some of them look fairly much like what you seem to be aiming for here, and possibly save you a lot of PP time. Of the 3 samples above, on balance I would go with #1, except with the highlights toned down a tad. (and the red carpet!) I just think we put a lot of time and effort in, not to mention expense to achieve nice sharp images with a depth of colour and texture, then go and tone it all down in PP. I think there is a place for a 'style' such as #3, but... And the other thing I noticed, and I know verticals have been mentioned but there seems to be a bit of a curve on the window frame. A quick visit to Lens Corrections in LR would probably sort that. Oh, and with the greatest respect to Dan, I actually don't mind that she is on what would be considered the wrong third and looking out of the frame, I think it's fine because there is obviously a window there. That, at least for me, makes it OK.

Thanks everyone :) Will go away and do my culling tomorrow. Will then have hopefully around the 300 image keeper mark then will scrutinise each image and clone out any bits that need to be cloned out, crop, then I'll present a selected few of the images to the B&G, normal mode and a copy of what is my action P5 and let them decide what they would prefer. Its been a very useful thread for me, things spotted that I didn't, so thats something I need to keep in mind for future processing plus some compositional things to think about too, so mucho grasias.

Much better mate, any chance you can tone the laser :) on the Lady behind holding the young
boy & table cloth & the white spot in front of her nose

Back