Wedding / event photographers using Fuji

Name
stuart
Edit My Images
Yes
So after using canon for almost 20 years I'm thinking of making the jump to Fuji for weddings . I've changed my mind at least 10 times on weather to do this . My main reasons are lighter kit , cheaper bodies , i love the look of the images from Fuji and I really enjoy shooting with Fuji cameras .
My concerns are autofocus and any noise issues as I do alot of night portraits. Can anyone who's done it help me decide ? I would be buying xt3/4 bodies to replace my 5d3's.

Noise is less than my old Nikon system - quite significantly. AF is good, not as good as my old D750 was but acceptable, although i dont do many weddings or night shooting. The only time AF really is a pain is in very dark conditions where even Nikon would struggle.

I went on a Fuji day last year, using every lens in the range on an XT3, loved it. Eye AF would be a game changer for me, lighter doesn't really matter as much as smaller would

I shot a few at 4000 ISO just to see and yes there's noise but nothing that mattered to me. I rarely need to hit even 4000 ISO with my Nikons and with the Fuji I'd be another stop wider so even less likely to be a problem

I just couldn't stump the £3,000+ to change for what's really little overall benefit

Dave

Oh and I know at least two togs with Fellowships who shoot Weddings with them and they love them

I saw a guy last year at the photography show who used Fuji for weddings, does 50+ a year and loves it.

Never seen anyone use Fuji or worked with anyone using Fuji when I’ve done weddings personally.

So after using canon for almost 20 years I'm thinking of making the jump to Fuji for weddings . I've changed my mind at least 10 times on weather to do this . My main reasons are lighter kit , cheaper bodies , i love the look of the images from Fuji and I really enjoy shooting with Fuji cameras .
My concerns are autofocus and any noise issues as I do alot of night portraits. Can anyone who's done it help me decide ? I would be buying xt3/4 bodies to replace my 5d3's.
Maybe somewhere on the net some raws you can download and play with?

A few years ago our wedding was shot with a 5DII and after a long and sorry story I ended up processing the raws myself and I'm sure my Panasonic MFT cameras give better image quality. I don't know how much of a jump in image quality the III offers over the II but it's possible that a more up to date sub FF system could at least match it and possibly better it whilst also reducing your bulk and weight.

Another possibility could be the FF Sony A7x range which could still give you a reduction in bulk and weigh (the A7c is RF style and is small) if you can limit yourself to the more compact lenses. But if you just want a Fuji... life is short so go for it.

As above from Dave, the face/eye detect mirrorless gives really has to be tried to be appreciated as you can position your subject pretty much anywhere in the frame and leave the camera to focus while you concentrate on the composition and pressing the shutter at the right time.

The advantages of mirrorless are many but for people shots being able to focus anywhere in the frame along with face/eye detect are real.... game changers :D and you can even set the camera up with preferred faces (maybe not all cameras allow this so do check...) for example set the bride as preferred and the camera will automatically select her face/eye in group shots.

Last edited:
I’m no pro but I’ve shot a couple of weddings before with DSLRs and I personally would have no issues shooting them now with Fuji

Yeah it’s not FF but the images that Fuji’s produce are (IMHO) fantastic, even at higher iso) and the newer bodies AF is more than enough.

Sony is also an option but having shot it for a year ( in between Fuji’s!) I simply prefer the images and the overall shooting experience that Fuji gives.

I think the whole APSC thing does still put people off for wedding work but personally I’d say with a couple of XT3/4s, a 23mm and a 50/56mm there’s very little than couldn’t be done.

have shot some weddings with various fuji bodies and they do a good job. the higher end bodies all have 2 card slots which may be important to you also.

This guy is John Branch seems the business and knows his stuff, a Fuji X-T3 shooter mainly using these lenses for his Pro wedding photography;
XF23/2 - XF35/2 - XF56/1.2

He uses two separate X-T3 bodies along with an assistant. Here's a link to his video, behind the scenes of shooting a wedding etc;

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyEOKMQ7p74

Regards;
Peter

Back