Wedding. Lake District. Awesomeness.

1&2 are too dark (though this may be my screen as i'm on a laptop)

3 is spoilt for me by the blown out sky - brollies imply rain, and that in turn implies a cloudy sky - i'd have exposed for the sky and fill flashed the couple

4 is an interesting idea, nicely executed

5 would be better cropped to portrait as there's a lot of dead space on the left

and 6 is a nice light painting shot

Last edited:
1&2 are too dark (though this may be my screen as i'm on a laptop)

3 is spoilt for me by the blown out sky - brollies imply rain, and that in turn implies a cloudy sky - i'd have exposed for the sky and fill flashed the couple

4 is an interesting idea, nicely executed

5 would be better cropped to portrait as there's a lot of dead space on the left

and 6 is a nice light painting shot

Thanks!

Check out the full storyboard, these are only a handful of examples :¬)

1&2 are intentionally shadow based. I have a calibrated monitor - all looks good this end :¬)

3 - white BG is part of the idea behind it!

there's actually a lot of really great shots on the full page. I personally think you didn't choose the best ones to showcase here (for similar reasons that the above poster stated).

But again, looking at the storyboard, the shots and colours are lovely. Nice work :)

there's actually a lot of really great shots on the full page. I personally think you didn't choose the best ones to showcase here (for similar reasons that the above poster stated).

But again, looking at the storyboard, the shots and colours are lovely. Nice work :)

Thanks Rowan!

Perhaps I grabbed too randomly! I might remove them to save the same thing popping up - thanks!

(y) yes i agree - i still say the brolly's would have worked better with a sky like that in shot 6 on the story board, but that's a personal preference.

(OT I'd also note that i really like your website - it comes as a breath of fresh air after recent 'discussions' on other threads)

(y) yes i agree - i still say the brolly's would have worked better with a sky like that in shot 6 on the story board, but that's a personal preference.

(OT I'd also note that i really like your website - it comes as a breath of fresh air after recent 'discussions' on other threads)

Thanks Pete :¬)

There's a similar kiss brolly shot with trees and venue in the background too, as I wanted one completely white, and one with a BG. The white one will look awesome as a canvas in a bright room :¬)

Edit: Thanks for the website comment. Designed that myself from the ground up, used to be a web/gfx designer (handy!). Took some effort, and still lots to do (never ending it seems!)

Last edited:
Weddings are not my thing at all but I really enjoyed all the pictures. Lovely bits of atmosphere, personality and character coming through.

Some stand out shots there to be sure, but as a story board. . . WOW......

can't say much more than that. . . well maybe that i love how you've managed to get yourself in there too :p

Brilliant set, your style is right down my street and i'm sure the couple will be more than chuffed to have them in an album.

These are really good in my humble opinion, if I'm ever unlucky enough to get married again this is the standard I'd want from the photographer. My only criticism would be the first few landscape shots, I think a nice graduated overlay layer is needed to stop the background being so grey in comparison to the vibrant trees in the foreground. All the people shots though cannot be faulted.

It's a great set. However I feel the posed and the un-posed shots are working against each other, and in a way the un-posed work has a lighter touch and feels more natural in terms of flow. I guess that's your preferred shooting style.

Whilst you get a list from the couple of the formal shots, and like me of course you shoot them, you may want to consider leaving them out of the storyboards, or editing them out after a few weeks have passed. There seems to be a great concentration on the harpist, and the guy mowing the lawn. In saying that, I find it really hard to "edit out" too

Last edited:
Trev - Cheers. all natural light bar the dance floor shots.

Alan - Thanks! I tried to avoid too much over processing of the clouds, it's easy to go too far :¬)

Rich - Thank you. You're right, I do like to add some B&G portraits into the mix! I's part of the day, and I document in between.

Thanks for the kind words everyone! Much appreciated that you all took the time out to look :¬)

That's a great set of wedding images that I'm sure the couple will be thrilled with. I'm not mad on adding in grain as you have. I know why you do it but it's not something I'm keen on (unless you left the camera on high ISO all day by mistake - which I doubt).

You've also added a few mad photoshop effects which I personally don't like - the tilt & shift effect in particular.

Good points are - lovely lighting, great moments, fun images, creative images and some lovely compositions. Well done (y)

I don't usually browse through wedding photos, but I absolutely love this set. The only ones that don't do it for me is the ones that come after this annotation;

"We make the most of the dry spell for some bride and groom portraits in the beautiful grounds of Armathwaite Hall"

Where you have the blurry top half.

I don't usually browse through wedding photos, but I absolutely love this set. The only ones that don't do it for me is the ones that come after this annotation;

"We make the most of the dry spell for some bride and groom portraits in the beautiful grounds of Armathwaite Hall"

Where you have the blurry top half.

Thank you James! I'm still putting out feelers for tilt shift, hence there's only four shots (out of 700) that use it. Hmmmmmm :¬)

Excellent photographs and they reveal a real character to the day - they all seem like a close knit bunch of people who had quite a variety of fun!

Lovely photos. Would you care to share your typical lens setup and your thought process with regards to correct metering?

Back