wedding lens help!

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi I have been asked to take some photo's at some friends 'simple' hotel marriage. :help: PS. I am being paid....

I have been told that I will be needed no more than 2 hours to take a variety of shots.

Bearing in mind it starts at 4.00pm next month I am a touch nervy about using the right kit.

I have at present a Nikon D200/D40 bodies, 18-70 AFS, Nikkor 28mm AF, Sigma 105mm f2.8, with a SB600 flash.

considering the time of day I am thinking I need a faster lens than the 18-70.

So pound for pound what lens could I get away with?

Do I go for a 35mm 1.8G or 50mm 1.4G AFS lens ? or arent they good enough!?

any help most appreciated.

TaffyTim

The 35mm 1.8G is I think a DX lens? so won't be any good if you decide in the future to switch to a full frame camera, so I'd suggest looking at the 35mm f2 instead.

The 50mm f1.4 is a wonderful lens, but 50mm on a crop sensor is rather a little bit longish for general wedding use especially as you already have a 105mm f2.8.

If it was me i would walk away if i didn,t know which lens to use,especially if you are taking money for it.:)

You could look for a used sigma 24-70 F2.8

p.s. for indoor use ata a wedding with a crop sensor, something around the 20 -24mm focal length is probably the most useful. Of course, it depends on your style of photography.

Hi I have been asked to take some photo's at some friends 'simple' hotel marriage. :help: PS. I am being paid....

I have been told that I will be needed no more than 2 hours to take a variety of shots.

Bearing in mind it starts at 4.00pm next month I am a touch nervy about using the right kit.

I have at present a Nikon D200/D40 bodies, 18-70 AFS, Nikkor 28mm AF, Sigma 105mm f2.8, with a SB600 flash.

considering the time of day I am thinking I need a faster lens than the 18-70.

So pound for pound what lens could I get away with?

any help most appreciated.

TaffyTim

I don't think you need anymore lenses. Do some research on ambient light and flash. You can achieve some great work this way.

I think you have enough lenses to cover the event as it is.

As its a month away I would suggest some practice to settle your nerves.

Good luck.

If you need to ask you shouldn't do it.

Can you help please.
I need to batch process around 50 images to 900 pixels by 600 at 72dpi any ideas how I do it in photoshop.
Thanks
PS: I did a course in photoshop 5 years ago and did know it inside out, but years of only using a few features I forgot. DOOO.

Well you asked when you didnt know what to do:bonk:

so I guess you dont use photoshop any more?

I don't think you need anymore lenses. Do some research on ambient light and flash. You can achieve some great work this way.

I think you have enough lenses to cover the event as it is.

As its a month away I would suggest some practice to settle your nerves.

Good luck.

thanks for positive feedback

TaffyTim

D200 with the 18-70 and learning to use the SB 600 properly will do you fine.

Learn to use the remote system between the camera and flash,apologies if you already know.

Stick the Sigma on the D40 for the 2.8 effect on candids.

That is if you don`t want to spend money,if you do,then the world is your oyster.....:D

Being open to advice when you're photographing your first wedding can't be a bad thing. The OP seems to be aware of the limitations of his equipment for indoor photography, so is clearly aware of and thinking about the basic issues.

I guess all wedding photographers had their first one at some point.

I think you have made your point Mark. Cut the OP some slack.......(y)

I mean it's a big thing to photograph & your being paid & you don't know what lenses you should use.

I am simply asking for peoples opinions, I guess that's why most people on here post questions! hopefully without being patronised.

Tim, I'm going to take a guess that whilst you're getting paid for this, it's not going to be a fortune and probably doesn't really warrant buying expensive gear just for this.

Guessing a tad further, I'll take a stab that the couple know that they are not hiring a seasoned wedding snapper and wont be expecting the creme de la creme of images from your first attempt.

So use the kit that you've got and know well. Stay as close to your comfort zone as you can and, as best as you can, shoot to the strengths of what you have.

Then once you have the cold hard in your sticky mitts, spend it on some kit that YOU want. (y)

Could you get a trip to the hotel with the couple before the event, to scope out the lighting? This would give you a chance to plan and to see if you definitely need a faster lens and also where you could take advantage of natural lighting (or, indeed, some of the artificial lighting, too).

Weddings are very stressful do your ground work, visit the site well before the day of the wedding for photographic ideas, find light direction and have a plan for the day. Make a list of shots the wedding couple would like.....24-70mm f 2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8 would be good, a flash for "fill flash" would be good

Tim, I'm going to take a guess that whilst you're getting paid for this, it's not going to be a fortune and probably doesn't really warrant buying expensive gear just for this.

Guessing a tad further, I'll take a stab that the couple know that they are not hiring a seasoned wedding snapper and wont be expecting the creme de la creme of images from your first attempt.

So use the kit that you've got and know well. Stay as close to your comfort zone as you can and, as best as you can, shoot to the strengths of what you have.

Then once you have the cold hard in your sticky mitts, spend it on some kit that YOU want. (y)

spot on, thanks for advice.

Weddings are very stressful do your ground work, visit the site well before the day of the wedding for photographic ideas, find light direction and have a plan for the day. Make a list of shots the wedding couple would like.....24-70mm f 2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8 would be good, a flash for "fill flash" would be good

Thanks Dave,

Its actually the same venue where I got married!

I take your point and thats why I have posted here to get some constructive feedback. As it happens the couple in question are on a tight budget but appreciate that I am taking a days leave to provide a 'budget' memory of their events, hence their reason for asking me because they cannot afford a 'pro'.

I have already got a number of pointers to help me.

and I would make it clear I am not a complete novice, its just that I value other peoples opinion.

TaffyTim

.........Posts.........

Does being this much of a tool come naturally or do you have to practise?
Newsflash............amateurs are gonna try their hand at weddings. Get over it.

If you want to post constructively with a bit of help ..... give it a whirl. One of your posts in this thread was *almost* helpful....Keep trying and you'll get there (y)

Get a lightsphere from the TP thread and PLAY with what effect it has on softening the light from the SB600(y)

Without a doubt if you do the homework on this you will be very happy with the results - look at it as a challenge(y)

And as some:naughty: would try and have you think - IT AINT ROCKET SCIENCE(y) Just Passion and Practise for the art(y)

See it as a challenge and I hope you nock em dead!! with the pictures(y)

Think dazzaj said it best.....

Keep it simple. Use the 18-70 and the SB 600 for `fill`.

Get them outside as much as you can (if possible).
The light next month at 4pm will be much better.

Most of all.....enjoy the experience this will give you....

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilary Briss View Post
.........Posts.........
Does being this much of a tool come naturally or do you have to practise?
Newsflash............amateurs are gonna try their hand at weddings. Get over it.

If you want to post constructively with a bit of help ..... give it a whirl. One of your posts in this thread was *almost* helpful....Keep trying and you'll get there

Hehehe! This reminds me of the mountain biking forum I frequent, only with slightly more helpful mods...

You need to check out the venue. Take your camera or a light meter and check out the readings where you will be working. That's what will tell you if you need anything else. You also need to check with the registrars that you can use flash, many don't allow it so if you want to be taking pics during the ceremony you will need plan B.

Plan B that I employed on my very first solo wedding was to hire the brilliant 35mm f1.4 and I was glad I did. Lensesforhire are your friend in these circumstances. I'd much rather be overequipped for a job than underequipped. The client won't notice the first but sure as heck will notice the second. :)

You need to check out the venue. Take your camera or a light meter and check out the readings where you will be working. That's what will tell you if you need anything else. You also need to check with the registrars that you can use flash, many don't allow it so if you want to be taking pics during the ceremony you will need plan B.

Plan B that I employed on my very first solo wedding was to hire the brilliant 35mm f1.4 and I was glad I did. Lensesforhire are your friend in these circumstances. I'd much rather be overequipped for a job than underequipped. The client won't notice the first but sure as heck will notice the second. :)

Strangely enough I was looking at this site last night, thanks for feedback though

Links are tiny Tim!

I did notice the second is a shot of a ring exchange. If you can't get a good angle at the actual exchange then shoot the ring again later. In your shot you can just see holding hands so get in close and shoot the main event............the rings! :)

Links are tiny Tim!

I did notice the second is a shot of a ring exchange. If you can't get a good angle at the actual exchange then shoot the ring again later. In your shot you can just see holding hands so get in close and shoot the main event............the rings! :)

Hey Bouncy is that better now?

Back