Wedding Nightime Shoot

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
ive been asked by a family member to cover a part of a wedding nightime shoot, including the traditional first dance of the bride and groom.
I'm happy enough to cover a daytime shoot as a family member, but nighttime, indoors with disco lights is a little worrying.
Happily, i'm not the primary shooter, but I want to attempt to get something right.
I'm thinking semi-auto Tv mode, 1/200 (camera sync speed), with a flash in ETTL, f5.6 should give sufficient DoF and leave the ISO to the camera with Auto ISO.
Would this be a good starting point, or what's the best alternative for the indoor disco situation?
Would Tv mode be any different to Av mode in this situation?
Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
First off are you trying to capture the "mood" or are you just lighting them up? Some photographers use the shutter dragging with flash, others just use high iso and use the disco lights for effect, some even use studio lights. personally I tend to go for high iso or depending on the lighting some flash to lift it a bit. I tend to use AV but watch my shutter speed.
One thing to be aware is some disco lasers can burn the sensors, seen it happen, it's usually in video mode but it can happen during still if the laser is powerfull

I use fully manual and set the camera so my exposure is getting a nice ambient light (usually around iso 1600 125th f4) then I add flash to taste

Back