Wedding of Sam & Neil

Name
Ryan
Edit My Images
Yes
Several months ago TP member Neil put out a call for a wedding photographer. Sadly for him a couple of people recommended me and after meeting him and his fiancee Sam I was chosen to shoot the big day. I've got to Know Neil as he's been on a couple of my courses and on the day I was given lots of time with them both. As a keen photographer himself the pressure was on….

1)
7241026342_86b4e94c4c_b.jpg

2)
7241029898_7c52ffde5f_b.jpg

3)
7240995942_587273fd3c_b.jpg

4)
7241021366_e1775c6366_b.jpg

5)
7241015826_ee5aea5aa0_b.jpg

6)
7241076296_b7977db393_b.jpg

7)
7241082172_60e64fd998_b.jpg

8)
7241002220_15f95349c9_b.jpg

9)
7241113228_03cff28931_b.jpg

Hope you like them. Enjoy the sunshine Neil!!

P.S - funny story around number 7. Being a tad too shoot I couldn't take the shot without Sam & Neil's heads merging into the land on the far side of the lake. Fortunately Neil's best man Scott (also a TP member) was standing right next to me. Being 6ft or more I just handed him the camera and told him to press the shutter for me. :D

Last edited:
Lol nice story!

Love the last 2. Video light?

Dean

No.4 is fabulous! My Favourite out of a range of really great images. Really like the colours and the juxtaposition of atmospheres.

ryanyboy said:
Cheers mate. Yes video light.

Next on the shopping list!!

Got my third wedding next month (and the one I'm most scared of screwing up as it's a very dear friend)

The list is getting longer and longer!!

If I can do half as well as you then they will be a very happy couple!!

Dean

Thanks folks. I really do appreciate it.

Stunning set, as always - really like 3 & 8 (how was 3 lit?)

3 was lit by an SB-900 fired through a lastolite softbox with fabric grid.

A video light being the square hotshoe continues light?

No Tony, a Lowel id video light. Hand help off camera. They are great for certain uses but lack of power means they're not much use in daylight. Great for first dance etc.

http://www.prokit.co.uk/index.php?view=product&product=lowel-dimmable-id-light

Like these alot. 5 is my fave', looks very natural and the fence leads right in.
9; Is a great shot, and you can bet ya bottom dollar The Wedding "Uncle" with his DSLR won't have this on his card! Looks technically complex.

Technically I like 8, but the pose doesn't sit right with me, he looks like he's been pounced on for a snog (his hand in pocket makes him look like he had no choice! lol)

If I could get shot half as good as these I'd be proud. Great captures.

Another good set, although I'm not that keen on 4, processing is a bit harsh for my taste.
5 & 7 are my pick.

Just a general query, you have a few different processing styles here (B&W, warm B&W, 60's emulsion etc etc), how do the clients generally feel about this, do they prefer this variety or is a consistant process the preferred option. And just thinking about your workflow, by presenting different processing styles, it must mean a lot of work for you?

Not keen on #4 at all.....blacks on his suit are just one big block of colour, it doesn't match any other from the set. Her facial skin tone is a blotchy red. It just looks like the PP is too forced to create a dramatic effect.

#6 I think the car needs to be rotated slightly so it loses less of the camber roll.

#2, 3 & 8 are good captures and show your skill off perfectly.

Like these alot. 5 is my fave', looks very natural and the fence leads right in.
9; Is a great shot, and you can bet ya bottom dollar The Wedding "Uncle" with his DSLR won't have this on his card! Looks technically complex.

Technically I like 8, but the pose doesn't sit right with me, he looks like he's been pounced on for a snog (his hand in pocket makes him look like he had no choice! lol)

If I could get shot half as good as these I'd be proud. Great captures.

Many thanks mate. Appreciate your comments :)

Another good set, although I'm not that keen on 4, processing is a bit harsh for my taste.
5 & 7 are my pick.

Just a general query, you have a few different processing styles here (B&W, warm B&W, 60's emulsion etc etc), how do the clients generally feel about this, do they prefer this variety or is a consistant process the preferred option. And just thinking about your workflow, by presenting different processing styles, it must mean a lot of work for you?

Cheers Les. Generally I do two processing styles. Colour and black and white. Number 4 is something very different for me which I think will look good on it's own page in an album but certainly wouldn't sit well on a page with other photos.

The black and white images slow me down as I have to transfer them into silver efex. So yes, it is a lot of work and I know I take longer than most to PP my work.

Not keen on #4 at all.....blacks on his suit are just one big block of colour, it doesn't match any other from the set. Her facial skin tone is a blotchy red. It just looks like the PP is too forced to create a dramatic effect.

#6 I think the car needs to be rotated slightly so it loses less of the camber roll.

#2, 3 & 8 are good captures and show your skill off perfectly.

Cheers mate. Number 4 is just me trying something different for the couple. It's just a cross processed action I had in photoshop. I hardly ever do any funky looks in PP as I prefer images to look natural. But in this case I thought it looked quite good.

Funnily enough someone I'd never met before said to me at the wedding "I like your work - your pictures always look like proper photos and not over done". I dread to think what he will think to number 4 :D

Like number 8 & 9 - My question is if one hasn't got the £300odd for a video light, how would be best to light this scene? Using a flashgun with diffuser? The reason I ask is I'm trying to decide if I need to get one or not.

What is so good about Silver Efex that you cannot do in LR/PS....your B&W look no different than loads of action/presets for those programs. Surely that will help cut your workflow time down.

Does anyone use LitePads, they're ££££ but they seem handy.

Beautiful photos by the way.

great images, you captured the mood perfectly

lovely set, number 3 stands out above the others though, great lighting. Agree about number 4, cracking shot but too over processed for my liking

(y)

Like number 8 & 9 - My question is if one hasn't got the £300odd for a video light, how would be best to light this scene? Using a flashgun with diffuser? The reason I ask is I'm trying to decide if I need to get one or not.

Well I think a gridded flash with a CTO gel might work quite well. Or you could get one of the lower priced video lights and see how that goes.

What is so good about Silver Efex that you cannot do in LR/PS....your B&W look no different than loads of action/presets for those programs. Surely that will help cut your workflow time down.

A very good question! I've been a huge fan of solver efex for ages and love the look I get from it. But I'm sure you're absolutely right that a LR preset will probably do just as well. Will look into this….

Cheers

Does anyone use LitePads, they're ££££ but they seem handy.

Beautiful photos by the way.

I'd never heard of them until you mentioned them. I don't know if they are any good or not.

Thanks for the kind words.

great images, you captured the mood perfectly

Thank you :)

lovely set, number 3 stands out above the others though, great lighting. Agree about number 4, cracking shot but too over processed for my liking

(y)

Many thanks :)

#8... my missus would not be impressed if I kept my hands in my pockets when she kissed me!
Great pics though. (y)

Hey,

Ryan sitting in the sun and having a good look, Cant wait to meet up when we get back and sort the album out, Thanks for the extra processing you have been doing, Sam is loving it and keeps letting off squeals of excitement, Unfortunatley the squeals are not because of anything i am doing but because she keeps seeing your photo's.

Oh and as far as i am concerned No8 is so natural with me having my hands in my pockets. ;)

Anyway you would love it out here, maybe for my next wedding......... (joke Sam)

keep up the good work

Neil and Sam (AKA Mr and Mrs Turnbull)

Hey,

Ryan sitting in the sun and having a good look, Cant wait to meet up when we get back and sort the album out, Thanks for the extra processing you have been doing, Sam is loving it and keeps letting off squeals of excitement, Unfortunatley the squeals are not because of anything i am doing but because she keeps seeing your photo's.

Oh and as far as i am concerned No8 is so natural with me having my hands in my pockets. ;)

Anyway you would love it out here, maybe for my next wedding......... (joke Sam)

keep up the good work

Neil and Sam (AKA Mr and Mrs Turnbull)

Cheers mate. I'm glad the missus is liking the pictures :)

I'm pleased to hear your enjoying the sun too. I'm very jealous :)

Will see you when you get back.

(p.s I sent you an email yesterday - hope you got it...?)

Another good solid set Ryan.
Especially loving no.s 2,3 & 5.

Looking forward to the nex set already.

Spence

Thanks as always mate.

Sorry if this is a really bone question, but would you be able to show the setup of your video light please? I'm not familiar with them at all but keep hearing more and more about them.

Well firstly this is the item:-

For shot number 8 one of the ushers (Scott) held the light above head height about three feet to my left. Being a continuous light source exposure is simple, although whenever mixing ambient light with artificial light you need to find the right power output to ensure you get the ambient light you want.

The lowel gives you the choice between spotlight and flood (much like a torch) and with this shot I was somewhere in the middle iirc.

HTH?

Thanks as always mate.

Well firstly this is the item:-

For shot number 8 one of the ushers (Scott) held the light above head height about three feet to my left. Being a continuous light source exposure is simple, although whenever mixing ambient light with artificial light you need to find the right power output to ensure you get the ambient light you want.

The lowel gives you the choice between spotlight and flood (much like a torch) and with this shot I was somewhere in the middle iirc.

HTH?

Thanks very much for that link and the explanation....great help! (y)

Back