Wedding Party Moment

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone,

I recently spoke of my desire to get into wedding photography.
After discussions with some of the members of the forum, I realised that I needed to understand shooting in low light and with varying shutter speeds.

Anyway, long story short I photographed a friends wedding party in the evening. I have captured some really good shots which I'm very proud of (for a beginner).

This one I'm particularly proud of.

I feel I have captured a genuine moment of love and bonding between a family. This is not the wedding party I came out to photograph, just guests at the party. But I'm so happy with how it has turned out.

Shots like these are why I want to get into photography more and more.

I'd be interested to read what the professionals think.

C&C welcome.

56Watermark.jpg

Sorry Steve...I'm going to bed the bearer of negative feedback.

Firstly technically it's not the best - looks like a typical snapshot. Flash isn't utilised properly, busy background, underexposed.

I appreciate when you look at it you see a family moment...but I see a drunken hug.

This is due to the technical flaws more than anything.

I'm not sure how I would make this better but I'd have to get rid of the bg a bit and pull back some exposure before converting to mono as the lights are giving me the drunken hug feeling.

Good that you enjoyed it and I may well be the minority.

Phil.

Wedding paties etc are always a challenge where light is needed. If the ceiling is to high you can't bounce and direct flash is often harsh and unnatural IMO. As Phil says, try lifting the levels a tad, if you shot raw you'll stand a far better chance with adjusting the colour or you may have to go mono for best results.

Bit gutted with the technically inferior photo. Your right it was a snapshot. I was just hoping I had the technical aspects of the photo down rather than the interpretation. Bit disappointed with myself more than anything as I thought I had done well. (well, an improvement on my last photos)

I used a shutter speed of 1/200 and my flash head which I attempted to bounce. I suppose the only thing I can say is that it's in focus. :LOL:

Here's a version with auto correct on the exposure.

Stevephy, I shot in RAW but converted to JPEG. I'm trying to get myself to shoot in RAW more often.

56Watermark_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:
Will still need either an Iris blur or burn the background...

I dunno What an Iris blur is but maybe burning the background would help a little.

Any kind of blur is gonna start to look 'edited' pretty quick so I tend to just stick with the Black and white to distract from background clutter - sometimes you just can't do anything about it.

Black and white and cropped in tight on the right......?

This^ but with a burnt background. My vignette action will do a vignette on any user defined shape and I've been known to se it to knock a background down in a dance shot. It'd probably work for this.

It may not technically be the winning shot of the day .. drunken i think not a nice family moment with mom, dad and daughter all hugging very nicely captured these are the spur of the moment shots ones that some will miss blink and it is gone,,, you caught so a well done .. now post production if caught raw then use exposure comp to bring it up a touch but you want the feel of the darkened room i think the lights dotting the people involved etc .... so not too much .. now to give impact crop in to place them on the precious (to some) third placement ... and bingo a snap becomes something more ...

but well done fer getting the moment now go practice some pp and cropping to see what can be done to make it better ... still

Also I know the feeling weddings are HARD ... now go get yourself on a course look around for which you can afford and which you think ,meets your "style" it still early days for you so maybe you wish to try several before deciding what suits ... most of all and keep this in mind ... some people will critise openly and praise rarely ... it is what the BRIDE and GROOM think that count ... I have done a few weddings now I still feel very much a novice but seeing the look and comments they the clients make ... sure as heck do not match the comments made by some in critique... it is the client who will recommend you at the end of the day they will be ones showing off the pics .. and you will get the work so go get em

The edited image captured a lovely warm family moment, Just leave it as it is & enjoy it just as it is. You did well Steve_o.(y)

Toonie

Just an update.

After slagging off the guy Steve 2nd'ed for I offered him the chance to come and assist on a shoot. We went out this afternoon with a great young couple for an hour round sunset.

I'm sure Steve heard enough from me today which will hopefully teach him to be careful what he wishes for.

Anyway, it was nice meeting up and I'm sure we'll do it again.

Back