Wedding photography Advice!

Edit My Images
Yes
I am doing a friends wedding and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for this sort of photography?
will be a daytime wedding, with an evening reception all outdoor except the ceromony.
TIA

scoff said:
I am doing a friends wedding and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for this sort of photography?
will be a daytime wedding, with an evening reception all outdoor except the ceromony.
TIA
Judging by the weather we've been having recently, an umbrella would be a good accessory to take.

If it were me (which it will be next year as I'm doing TWO of 'em!), I'd minimise the 'posed' shots and large group shots, and concentrate more on the 'photojournalistic' style - you capture more emotion when people don't realise they're having their photo taken.

take 2 of everything, including cameras! Plenty of storage, tripod, flash..

are you the only lensman going or is there a proper one going too(its not rude i know scoff...he would say the same!)

Its thursday, but you aint invited! ;)

I'm the only one...no propper one! ;)
TBH I never thought of an umberella lol, cant see the bride standing out in the rain...
Was best man in April and the photographer was a photojournalist, some Very natural and good shots...and some what I'd consider not so hot! very different to "traditional" wedding photos!
Gonna go checkout the location and get a plan in my head.
Just been approached for another Wedding in November!!! I must be cheap lol

tripod, lens cleaning stuff, plenty of memory(a laptop would be good to transfer too if you havent got loads of cards)erm....you got a flash so thats ok, shoot in RAW so you can get the best out the processing...

I don't have a lot of time to respond to what is really a huge subject Scoff, but I'd sit down with the bride and groom and see what sort of shots they'd prefer. The photo jounalistic approach is OK , but it can go all wrong if you're not used to that style of photography, which is why, particularly for your first wedding, I'd lean towards more formal groups where you at least have some control over the likely outocome. You can always try a few less posed shots sprinkled in, but I'd play very safe for your first job.

I'm sure you'll do fine, but don't take chances with the weather. Rain can turn the whole thing into a nightmare for the most seasoned pro. It doesn't take much damp to stop modern electronic kit working, so you need to be thinking about keeping the kit dry if it comes to the worst. My wife used to come with me on wet days and carried a huge golf umbrella to protect the gear. She usually got drowned! :D

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you for a fine day, but I'm sure you'll do OK. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions, just checking over things at the mo...thought I'd take a break!
Weather is looking unsettled up here at the mo! but not much i can do about that!! :)
My intention was to do the formal stuff and try to get some candid shots for the more natural look, I preffer a mixed bag myself.

Been thinking about the whole thing...there are only really 4 people who need to perform on the day!
1. the Limo Driver, if he dont they dont get there in style.
2. The Registrar, but his performance is instantly forgotten.
3. The Groom...after the event on the night! his performance is also easily forgotten or blamed on the beer!!
4. The photographer! Failiure to perform on the day is make or brake! At the end of the day, other than the rings, the photos are all that live on!!!!
Great....just increased the pressure lol
Thanks again chaps :)

Scoff,
Batteries and loads of them for your cameras and flash units. Here's an Idea buy a couple of throw away cameras and give them to a couple people and ask them to take photo's of anything to do with the day and give them back to you, you never know they get something rather good and add something extra to their day.

Good luck mate hope it goes well for you

a tripod....dont forget the tripod!

how did you get on Scoff?

Thanks for all the advice
Everything came togethor very well.
Think I captured the day!
I will post some piccies up at some stage for your critique. I could do with the feedback as I have another to do next month!!
As for the beer...its been flowing since 3pm!!! I have just escaped for a Quiet 5 mins....surprised I can still Type..the camera went away a long time ago ;)

good stuff Andy! If you want any help with post processing let us know. Who you gonna use for prints?

Back