wedding photography advice

Jellycat

clever little wings..
Name
Lyn
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok so you’ve probably heard this all before, Im just starting out doing wedding photography. I’ve done about 15 weddings now for friends, family & friends of friends its starting to take off for me but im after some advice.

1) I always shoot in M mode but have heard a lot of “pros” saying they shoot in P, S or A mode – what would you recommend & why?

2) To keep both the bride and groom in focus ive been using f5.6 and focusing on one of their faces but sometimes the other seems out of focus especially if they are standing groom behind bride for example . Where would you recommend I set the focus point.

3) I hate bright sunny days, give me an overcast day any day but we cant control the weather (although im currently working on this lol). How do you cope with bright light blowing the dress/faces out when you cant move them into shade.

Any other advice is most welcome although please non of the “you should leave wedding photography to the professionals” as we all have to start somewhere. I take this all very seriously and im trying to improve my photography that’s why im asking these questions.

I've only done two as a 2nd photographer so no where near experienced enough to give a proper answer... however... I made sure for the majority of the shots I focused on the brides face.

I dare say someone will give you a proper answer though.

I shoot about 99% in M and will use Av if there is something up with the lighting constantly changing and I'm working on a series of shots but honestly that is really rare. I really can't imagine any pro who works creatively using P. I know some who love using Av and constantly play with exposure compensation, but that's about it. If my wife 2nd shoots, I set her up in Av as she doesn't have the skills yet to play around and it will get the exposure close enough for me to fix. I like to nail exposure as it reduces my edit time so M is king.

As for aperture settings, it depends what I want out of the shot. If it is intended to be of both then it is worth getting the aperture closed down and get them both in focus, however outside of that I choose who the subject is (usually the bride) and focus on them not worrying about the other.

Even on bright days you should never blow a face, use a light meter, that way you know you are going to keep the faces exposed correctly and generally you will retain detail in the dress. I sell faces, a couple won't notice in the general shots if the dress is a little blown. However in formals move them to shade or turn their backs to the sun.

As for anything else, without knowing what you do well or don't do well it's hard to say.

I would stick up a few favorites and shots that you are looking for advice on, or areas you struggle with, that will help everyone point you in the right direction. Oh, and there are many on here far better than me so you should get some good advice.

Have a look here then http://www.davenunnstudios.co.uk/

Would it surprise you if I told you that Dave shoots in P.

I know a fair few very good pro photographers who shoot in P including one Damien Lovegrove (on occasion)

So a little less of the snobbery guys, if you can charge £3K for a wedding and shoot it on P who's the smart guy ;)

Thanks for all your coments guys,

AliB - i watched Dave nunns clips on you tube and am impressed with him using P mode and the results he gets.

I'm kind of with daryl though - why would a pro choose to use P - im assuredly not a full timer and I dont think i've ever used the program modes on any of my cameras. Personally i'd shoot it in manual exposure , unless the light was very changeable in which case i'd shoot in AV

on the other points

2) If one face is out of focus its not a case of changing your focus point - that indicates that your plane of focus is too thin and you need a smaller aperture for greater dof

3) use Raw as exposure mistakes are more recoverable , and also use spot metering and meeter from the dress or face - and use your camera histogram and/or blinky highlights on the first couple of shots to make sure you arent over exposing

Last edited:
Hi Pete

Because it's fast, allows you to concentrate on image content, and can be used the same as any other mode .....

Dave.

Fair enough but isnt there a concern that the camera will pick an apperture or speed or iso unsuitable for the shot - I'd rather use AV and know that if i want a shot at f5.6 then thats what i'll be getting

Fair enough but isnt there a concern that the camera will pick an apperture or speed or iso unsuitable for the shot - I'd rather use AV and know that if i want a shot at f5.6 then thats what i'll be getting

ISO is not controlled by P mode Pete .... As for the aperture, whatever P sets just wind the wheel to override and chose F5.6 .....

I never take any notice of the aperture my camera sets for any shot on any wedding .... !!

DaveN - loving your work, have watched your you tube vids and am very impressed, would love to spend a day with you on a wedding shoot lol.

I gave the p mode ago at the weekend when the light was forever changing and i worked a treat.

DaveN - loving your work, have watched your you tube vids and am very impressed, would love to spend a day with you on a wedding shoot lol.

I gave the p mode ago at the weekend when the light was forever changing and i worked a treat.

Hi Lyn

Thank you ... Going to be looking for a number of second shooters next year so stay in touch :)

Working in P can be so easy and allows full concentration on image content. Glad it worked for you .... Maybe some of anti P brigade should try it someday LOL

Dave.

Back