Wedding photography set up thoughts??

Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I'm just after some additional thoughts to my own about my camera and lens set up for photographing weddings.

Currently I mainly use a Canon 6D and have use of my wife's 760d. So one full frame and one crop sensor camera.
My lenses at the moment are:

Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art
Canon 85mm f1.8
Sigma 24-105mm f4 Art
Sigma 105mm f2.8mm Macro

I am thinking about adding the Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art to my collection. The thought being that if I had the 35mm on the 6D and the 50mm on the 760d, that would effectively give me a focal distance set of 35mm and 80mm (aps-c). The other lenses would be swapped when needed. For example, the 85mm could be put on the 760d to give 136mm focal distance.

I did have a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 but it was just a bit on the heavy side (I know, I should just man up!).
I also have a Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 but it took a leap from a shelf and is now very much broken! It was a nice lens though (27-80mm f2.8 on the crop).

1. Stick with what I have
2. Buy the Sigma 50mm
3. Replace the Sigma 17-50 or buy the canon 17-55
4. Wait and buy another full frame camera so I can use the current 35mm and 85mm that I already have

Now I have completely confused myself again and probably you, any thoughts are welcome.

Basically I am just looking for a good range of prime focal lenghs but open to ideas about zoom lenses.

Thanks!

Mike

If it was me I would want to use two bodies that are the same or very, very close in terms of ergonomics - as in button placements, control set etc ... so I'd go for the 2nd body (full frame in your case). The other advantage of having two bodies the same is you know exactly how each will respond in the given lighting conditions (thinking iso and noise handling etc ...) as well as how they will work up in post.

The biggie for me would be the ergonomics - I find even minor changes disconcerting (yet I can jump in any car without and drive it without issue) - very odd ;)

ETA: I'm also not a wedding tog :)

Two full frame bodies is the way to go. The menus being identical would make things much easier too, and you don't have to think about crop factors etc.

Something with two card slots would be advisable too, but people did manage with only one for many years so balancing that risk is up to you.

Back