Wedding Photography Skills

Name
Nigel Cliff
Edit My Images
Yes
I do worry seeing so may posts on here asking about what lens or camera to use at a wedding and nothing about people skills.

All the kit in the world is worth nothing if the photographer has an inability to nteract with the couple and the guests and organise people in a firm but friendly way,a loud voice and a good sense of humour is as much use as a full frame body or f1.4 prime

This is something people cant really "learn" though. Its either in you to relax, smile and never look flustered, or it shows all over your face.

Cameras, and kit sometimes make people feel more confident, so as a mental barrier, thats one less thing to "worry" about.....maybe??

I full agree though, that with any people photography, particularly weddings with sometimes 100+ people to get where you want when you want, it is so much more about the people skills than detailed camera facts!

You've got to like interacting with people - surely that has to be the number one skill!

particularly weddings with sometimes 100+ people to get where you want when you want, it is so much more about the people skills than detailed camera facts!

I don't agree assuming by camera facts you mean the ability to take a great photograph, see whats going on and not miss the moment. Then 'camera facts ' are possibly a little more important :D

I do worry seeing so may posts on here asking about what lens or camera to use at a wedding and nothing about people skills.

All the kit in the world is worth nothing if the photographer has an inability to nteract with the couple and the guests and organise people in a firm but friendly way,a loud voice and a good sense of humour is as much use as a full frame body or f1.4 prime

Spookily prescient considering the other posts on here today...

One of the 'tested' criteria for aspiring Military Photographers during our selection phase is the ability to interact.
We are expected to be able to photograph (and control) individuals and groups up to battalion size and from private Soldiers to Generals, Royalty and Heads of State (the only British PM I have not photographed in the past ten years is Cameron, the only Royal not photographed is Prince Edward and the only US President I have not photographed is Obama, though I did photograph him before he won the election).

The ability to push yourself forward and control the situation is vital for any photographer, let alone Wedding Photographers...
When I 'temped' for PA as part of my Seniors qualification course, I was surprised at how many (presumably) seasoned Fleet-Street toggers would hold back during a photo-op, letting one or two guys set things up and then 'poach' the shots themselves.
You quickly realise the pecking-order between the 'do-ers' and the 'lurkers'...
Being the 'newbie' I kept quiet for a couple of days, but after a while you tend to gravitate towards these 'do-ers' and offer up your own ideas, becoming an ad-hoc team, in effect.
When one of them asked me what white balance settings I would use at a cat-walk show we were all attending, I told him I was going to set a custom white balance.
He said "but that's no good if you don't know what the lighting's going to be like..."
I told him I'd already spoken to the lighting gaffer and had arranged a preview of the show lighting for all of us... he just nodded.
A few minutes later another one of the 'in-guys' brought me a cup of tea unbidden - "here you go Rob, two sugars, yes?"

Best day of the year that was...

You've got to like interacting with people - surely that has to be the number one skill!

Not quite but certainly up there. Main skill has to be your capability to proved a good set of correctly exposed and saleable images. Your people skills will definitely help achieve this. I know of a few photographers who prefer to use assistants to do this as they feel uncomfortable talking to large number of people.

I'm not a particularly extroverted kind of person, I'm usually quite quiet and can come across as shy. I'm not really shy though, I'm just laid back and easy going and I think this helps with my wedding photography. I tend to stick to a very journalistic style of photography so there is a minimal amount of ordering people about but through the whole wedding I will be nice and chatty to people, I'm try and make them relax and smile so that when i need to I can ask them to get in to place for a photo and they won't mind doing it. I usually have at least a couple of hours at a wedding before having to do any formal shots so if I can use that time to build up a rapport with the key people at the wedding then they are more likel to cooperate when I need them to.

I'm not sure if someone's people skills is top of the list when it comes to weddings but if certainly has to be up there with your technical camera skills and your eye for a good photo.

While I agree - it all depends on the style you shoot. A true 100% PJ only photographer really ought not to interact at all. I vary between 100% interaction, and 0% interaction depending on what I am trying to achieve

There is a vast difference between Being able to interact, and having soft people skills, which are also needed

I don't agree assuming by camera facts you mean the ability to take a great photograph, see whats going on and not miss the moment. Then 'camera facts ' are possibly a little more important :D

What I meant was, that some people get so hung up on theory, and what others say they " should" be doing, that this becomes the main concern. When, If people don't feel comfortable then no matter how well it's exposed, that photo could have been better.

Going in and not knowing your kit, and backup kit, inside out has disaster written all over it. Equally, so does going in without the right attitude, personality and confidence.

What I meant was, that some people get so hung up on theory, and what others say they " should" be doing, that this becomes the main concern.

Goes for all photography and about 80% of the membership on here.

I shot my first wedding this weekend.
What a learning curve.
It was also the first wedding I have ever been to.
when I arrived, following the bride after shooting her at home we had to wait out side the registry office for a while. When I asked where the groom was, I was told he was inside.
I thought to myself, "daves got the right idea" but then I said to my other mate shall we get The groom out for some shots before the wedding.
It was then I learnt that the groom is not allowed to see the bride.
How naive am I.
Twas a hard day, very unorganized, very changeable weather, reception was in a nightclub with no natural light.
It was hard work organising everyone for the shoot as my people skills are not to good.
I learnt a lot this weekend about weddings but did not learn to much about changing camera and flash settings fast as I just didnt get a chance to take it all in.
It was just take pic, check pic, change settings and try again, I gave myself no more than 3 attempts to get settings right so that I did not keep people waiting.
Respect to all those that are very good at it, as we can all blag through things every now and then. But to be doing it every week end is a different ball game.
I couldnt sleep for the 2 days running upto it.

Last edited:
I think the biggest people skill you can learn is when to be loud and when not to be. I never realised just how different I had to be at certain points in the day. The bride getting ready is a fun, fabulous time that you can easily get involved in having fun and shooting away, how quickly this changes when suddenly its just the bride and her dad. Now you are quiet, respectful, getting the shots you need and encouraging and complementing her.

The Church or ceremony and you change again, outside taking candids then changing to solemn inside and respectful during the ceremony. Then its the groups outside, at your most ebullient, cajoling those who don't want to be photographed.

and so it continues... for me continually changing how I react with people to get the best out of them.

The kit I have in my hands though gives me confidence,( Yes, even though it is a Canon Rob!) I know with the body and lenses I have I should be able to get some great images that these people will love and so that makes it easier. Kit gives Confidence. However, like when I managed to blow up my flash I knew I had my back up, but I knew it wasn't as good and it did dent my confidence a little but my people skills did not allow that to show to the wedding guests.

All in all, I think its a package, People skills are paramount however you still need that confidence in your kit (and hopefully training) that will allow you to concentrate on your people skills.

Last edited:
thats poor preperation mate, know everything and its a lot easier, says the man who won't sleep past thursday

I tried to get a list of the must have pics but they kept forgetting to do it.
The brides house was so small and messy, there was not one nice place to take shots.
she stayed in her tee-shirt and shorts until 5 mins before leaving.
It was pooring with rain when we left the house and the car was parked by a load of wheely bins ( so not the best shots)
The ceremony was ok as were the after shots.
The reception was in a night club with rubbish lighting and hardly any seating.
the food was late, so all the guest were starving and grumpy looking
The best mans speach was at 22:00 hours just after the bride and grooms first dance under disco lighting.

but in general it was a good wedding.
But I learnt:
Be prepared for the un-prepared or the unorganized customer.
Get that bloody list of must haves, I didnt know who was who.
Inform the Bestman of any organizing that may need to be done, its part of his job.
Have a note book of any settings that you have already worked out for the venues.
Flash and rain drops ruin pictures.

I shot my first wedding this weekend.
What a learning curve.
It was also the first wedding I have ever been to.
when I arrived, following the bride after shooting her at home we had to wait out side the registry office for a while. When I asked where the groom was, I was told he was inside.
I thought to myself, "daves got the right idea" but then I said to my other mate shall we get The groom out for some shots before the wedding.
It was then I learnt that the groom is not allowed to see the bride.
How naive am I.
Twas a hard day, very unorganized, very changeable weather, reception was in a nightclub with no natural light.
It was hard work organising everyone for the shoot as my people skills are not to good.
I learnt a lot this weekend about weddings but did not learn to much about changing camera and flash settings fast as I just didnt get a chance to take it all in.
It was just take pic, check pic, change settings and try again, I gave myself no more than 3 attempts to get settings right so that I did not keep people waiting.Respect to all those that are very good at it, as we can all blag through things every now and then. But to be doing it every week end is a different ball game.
I couldnt sleep for the 2 days running upto it.

That would suggest that preparation is not the only issue. I would say, work heavily on your technique and develop your skill. Each scene should only require 1-2 settings changes/shots before you are correctly exposed.

aye, like I say I'm bricking it but excited too :D:D:D:D

Dito... Good luck. I do mine next August unless I can split them up to get out of it :LOL:

I have asked this before but never got the answer and it was mentioned here. Has anyone actualy suplied a list of the must have shots. Here is a quick list off the top of my head. Have I missed anything obvious:thinking:

The rings
Bride getting ready
Bride and farther
Bride getting out of car
Bride and Brides maids
Groom and best man
Bride, bride&groom walking down the isle
Putting rings on fingers
first kiss
signing the register
Group shot outside the church
Flowers
Bride throwing the flowers
speeches
Cake
first dance

Not quite but certainly up there. Main skill has to be your capability to proved a good set of correctly exposed and saleable images.

I agree (not a wedding photographer myself though). However, correct exposure is mainly a mathematical skill and can be learned to a certain extend, hence the ridiculous number of "correct" yet incredibly dull "portrait studio" pictures.

Sellable images, interaction and the talent to draw the best out of people is a lot harder to learn.

I am a childrens photographer and I find that often a picture that I would dismiss because not sharp enough, or whatever, in the end turns out to be mums favorite. In weddings I guess it's the same. It is the talent of seeing how people want to see themselves that makes a great photographer (not that I am one myself, cfr the fact that I show pics that I don't find perfect to mummy... :) )

The brides house was so small and messy, there was not one nice place to take shots.
she stayed in her tee-shirt and shorts until 5 mins before leaving.
It was pooring with rain when we left the house and the car was parked by a load of wheely bins ( so not the best shots)
The ceremony was ok as were the after shots.
The reception was in a night club with rubbish lighting and hardly any seating.
the food was late, so all the guest were starving and grumpy looking

Spooky! This is almost the recipe for the wedding we did on Thursday. Bride got ready in a somewhat untidy and very pokey flat. Got ready at the last minute. It hoofed it down with rain all day AND she had the whole wheelie bin thing going on!

Only slight difference is at our wedding the evening caterer's didn't show full stop..... no tea and a VERY grumpy Bride!

Back