Wedding photography tips?

Name
Will
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

:help: So I've just been told I am photographing my aunt's wedding as they don't have an official photographer. :wacky:

Anyway - I was just wondering if anyone has any tips in the field?
I've never done anything like this and I'm a wildlife photographer!

I have a Nikon 18-135mm, Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8, Nikon 200-400mm f/4G VR II, and SB-900 speedlight.

I know I won't need the telephoto, but what lenses are normal wedding lenses? And do I need the flashgun? And other tips! What shots to take etc.

:bang:

EDIT: Wedding photographers - is this a good lens to hire for the day? http://www.lensesforhire.co.uk/nikon-af-s-35mm-f14-g-249-p.asp

Last edited:
My 80-200 is a lens that gets a huge amount of use for weddings, a fantastic piece of kit. The 18-135, although not ideal in low light is actually tack sharp, so you should be ok with what you've got, although on a D700 you're only going to get around 5MP on that particular lens if mounting on the D700. Get yourself a 50 1.8 or a 35 f/2 and along with the longer reach, I reckon you'll be more than alright in a non pressure environment such as this (assuming they're not paying you!).

I'm just impressed that a 16 year old has a 200-400 f4 to play with! LOL you lucky boy you!

Big job, lots of responsibility, how far off is the wedding, is it first or 2nd wedding as that can take some pressure off (not always)?

I would work with the 18-135 on the D80 and the 80-200 on the D700 and hope the venue isn't dark otherwise you are stuck not having a wide f2.8 or faster for the D700.

So much else to think of like posing, people control, working through fast changing light conditions etc etc. I'm sure others will chip in so will not go into anything else for now (mainly as it is time to sleep) but hope it goes well!

Last thing, you've got some impressive shots on your site, hope you can convert from wildlife to people :)

I'm just impressed that a 16 year old has a 200-400 f4 to play with! LOL you lucky boy you!

Big job, lots of responsibility, how far off is the wedding, is it first or 2nd wedding as that can take some pressure off (not always)?

I would work with the 18-135 on the D80 and the 80-200 on the D700 and hope the venue isn't dark otherwise you are stuck not having a wide f2.8 or faster for the D700.

So much else to think of like posing, people control, working through fast changing light conditions etc etc. I'm sure others will chip in so will not go into anything else for now (mainly as it is time to sleep) but hope it goes well!

Last thing, you've got some impressive shots on your site, hope you can convert from wildlife to people :)

Haha - well I saved up and bought myself the D700, then was hiring the lens for a long time and racking up ridiculous costs doing so. My dad amazingly stepped in and bought it so I can pay him back and not waste money hiring :eek:

It's in 10 days, it's their first wedding. :thumbs down:

Does the 18-135mm really reduce to 5 megapixels when on the D700? I didn't realise. I guess I'll hire a lens for the wedding do use with my D700.

I'm glad you like my shots, thanks :) I just hope I don't take rubbish photos and thus spoil it all for them. :(

My 80-200 is a lens that gets a huge amount of use for weddings, a fantastic piece of kit. The 18-135, although not ideal in low light is actually tack sharp, so you should be ok with what you've got, although on a D700 you're only going to get around 5MP on that particular lens if mounting on the D700. Get yourself a 50 1.8 or a 35 f/2 and along with the longer reach, I reckon you'll be more than alright in a non pressure environment such as this (assuming they're not paying you!).

When would you use the 80-200mm ? Portraits or shooting people from far away?

As mentioned to the poster above, does the 18-135mm really reduce to 5 megapixels on a d700? I never knew this or noticed!!

I think I may end up hiring a lens for the wedding, sigh! (EDIT: I have and it is posted on my original post if you wish to advise on whether it is good or not?)

Last edited:
Not much help to offer on the wedding front I'm afraid. Although, the conversion from wildlife to people is not easy, I don't think.

Remember you are trying to capture EMOTION. That's the key. Above all you want to sum up how the bride and groom, and their family and friends, are feeling on the day. Looking for shots of people laughing and smiling, of the groom looking nervous before hand, the kiss, the first dance. All those things are full of the emotion of the day. Try and avoid too many static group shots, and if you do need to take group shots, once again try and get emotion into them (great trick, set up for a group shot, take one, then let the subjects chat and talk amongst themselves, and take a few shots as they do, while they think you're just getting ready for your next photo etc.).

And try and avoid too many clichés! :) Especially selective colour!!

And anyway, I had a look at your site. Very impressed by your work! :)

Not much help to offer on the wedding front I'm afraid. Although, the conversion from wildlife to people is not easy, I don't think.

Remember you are trying to capture EMOTION. That's the key. Above all you want to sum up how the bride and groom, and their family and friends, are feeling on the day. Looking for shots of people laughing and smiling, of the groom looking nervous before hand, the kiss, the first dance. All those things are full of the emotion of the day. Try and avoid too many static group shots, and if you do need to take group shots, once again try and get emotion into them (great trick, set up for a group shot, take one, then let the subjects chat and talk amongst themselves, and take a few shots as they do, while they think you're just getting ready for your next photo etc.).

And try and avoid too many clichés! :) Especially selective colour!!

That's very helpful advice actually! I wouldn't know what to look for really.
I'm not sure if I'm shooting in the actual wedding actually, I mean my camera's shutter might be a bit off-putting on the kiss! ;) haha. But I'll ask them, they may well want me to.

That's a great tip for the group shots, I will certainly use that thanks. :)

And thank you for your kind words, and tweet!! :D :nuts:

No problem! :)

Good point about shutter noise. Worth going to the menu on your Nikons > Release Mode > Q. Which should reduce some of the noise at least.

Good luck! :)

Oh and brides always love a photo of their dress/their shoes/their makeup or hair being done (just so long as when you take the photo their hair and makeup has already been more or less done :D ).

No problem! :)

Good point about shutter noise. Worth going to the menu on your Nikons > Release Mode > Q. Which should reduce some of the noise at least.

Good luck! :)

Oh and brides always love a photo of their dress/their shoes/their makeup or hair being done (just so long as when you take the photo their hair and makeup has already been more or less done :D ).

The D700 doesn't have that feature ! :bonk: Something which would be nice, I did like it when I used a D300s briefly.

I'm not sure if I'll be there to shoot the makeup or not! :LOL: But I will remember that.

Haha I will do! I'm really not looking forward to this haha

A D700 is more then capable as a wedding camera & ignore the comments about shutter noise. On a D700 its a non issue.

Can I also suggest that, unless they are paying you it'd be good not to hire a lens. Remember you're doing something for them, don't spend £lots doing it and end up out of pocket.

As below I'd consider using the 18-135 on your d80, but it doesn't give a great low light option, although you don't mention the venue? Putting it on your d700 will indeed default the camera to DX mode, but you can override this. (expect a good amount a vingetteing though.

Above all remember to enjoy yourself, you're a more then capable photographer and there is no reason why you won't be able to transfer the knowledge you have to a different situation.

edit; The lens you've linked to is a great lens and is probably my most used on a wedding day. Having said that its a prime lens, and whilst it does produce stunning images at your first wedding, if you must hire (and as above don't put yourself out of pocket) then get a 24-70 zoom. It'll give you possibly the most versatile option. For what the 35 will cost to hire you could pick up a 50 f/1.8 and sell it again for the same money

Last edited:
boyfalldown said:
A D700 is more then capable as a wedding camera & ignore the rubbish about shutter noise. On a D700 its a non issue.

Can I also suggest that, unless they are paying you it'd be good not to hire a lens. Remember you're doing something for them, don't spend £lots doing it and end up out of pocket.

As below I'd consider using the 18-135 on your d80, but it doesn't give a great low light option, although you don't mention the venue? Putting it on your d700 will indeed default the camera to DX mode, but you can override this. (expect a good amount a vingetteing though.

Above all remember to enjoy yourself, you're a more then capable photographer and there is no reason why you won't be able to transfer the knowledge you have to a different situation.

edit; The lens you've linked to is a great lens and is probably my most used on a wedding day. Having said that its a prime lens, and whilst it does produce stunning images at your first wedding, if you must hire (and as above don't put yourself out of pocket) then get a 24-70 zoom. It'll give you possibly the most versatile option. For what the 35 will cost to hire you could pick up a 50 f/1.8 and sell it again for the same money

Thanks, again some good advice there.

It's my mum's sister and my mum is more than happy to hire a lens it seems. She wants them to get some good quality shots to remember it by.

The service is indoors and the reception outside but then probably indoors again later.

When would you use the 80-200mm ? Portraits or shooting people from far away?

Both. I mainly use my 85mm for portraits and candids but sometimes I'll put the 80-200 on instead, it's a fantastic portrait lens as well as the obvious picking people off at range. Then of course, if it's a church ceremony, you've got good reach from the back.

My two penneth
Speak to the couple in advance of the day, find out what they want.
Get a set list for the "formal shots" Rope in the best man to help you organise people so as you're doing one shot they're getting the next people ready.
If you can take the couple out and do an engagement shoot, a fun location session, so you get to know how they react in front of the camera and more importantly you know how to get the best out of them. Also it reduces their nerves so on the big day, they wont really notice you and you'll get better images.
Have a look at some of the Wedding photographers on here websites, get some ideas for posed shots and what sort of candid's you're looking for.

Make sure you're got plenty of small (no bigger than 8gb cards) with you That way if a card goes bandit you've not lost everything.

Relax and enjoy it, drink plenty of water and leave the beer for when you finish and good luck!

I have this problem also..only i apparently have a wedding to do the end of this month..and 4 next year...i only hope that it goes well..im so nervous!

I agree that with the 80-200 being of use. I recently shot at a wedding and used my 70-200 quite a lot, you can really stand back from the action and shoot. I found I gained much more natural looking photos than when I stuck the 17-55 on and got in closer. All depends what you're trying to achieve. If you hired the 24-70 I'm sure that would be a cracking lens for the big day!

Most of all, relax a bit and enjoy yourself too :) Good luck!

+1! (y) The owl pic is top drawer!

One tip I was given is that it is more important to capture a moment, if it's slightly OOF then convert it to black and white.
Oh, and get there early to scout the venue and take the shots of place settings etc.

One tip I was given is that it is more important to capture a moment, if it's slightly OOF then convert it to black and white.
Oh, and get there early to scout the venue and take the shots of place settings etc.

Not sure I would agree, yes it is important to capture moment but not with sloppy photography. If you keep your eyes open and are aware of the surroundings and can see interaction then it will help you know when there will be a social moment. Don't rush, take a fraction of a second longer and get the shot you want and have it in focus.

Not sure I would agree, yes it is important to capture moment but not with sloppy photography. If you keep your eyes open and are aware of the surroundings and can see interaction then it will help you know when there will be a social moment. Don't rush, take a fraction of a second longer and get the shot you want and have it in focus.

sorry didn't quite phrase that right- you're right of course!

Yeh - I'm afraid I really don't like OOF focus black and white images. If anything, removing the colour draws more attention to the sharpness of the images. Black and white is all about texture, detail and focus! But I agree, you should be looking to capture moments. But you can capture them in focus. :)

Im no wedding photographer but id say simon m has given you great advice. Worry less about your kit, well apart from a fast prime or normal zoom, and spend some time on the planning esp the bits that you have to capture there and then, no second chances. Eg where are you going to stand when the couple actually say i do, youre going to want to see her face more than his face as its her big day, or so tradition says, so where will you need to stand to capture her. Same for when they enter , leave etc. Posed shots im sure u will be fine with esp if u have a list or plan. So basically have a plan in your head or on paper of the shots you want to take, have a look at some websites for ideas and talk to the happy couple beforehand. Best of luck. Davie.

oh and beg borrow or steal a second camera so you have a back up and save time on swopping lenses.

My suggestion....
If possible to chk and visit the venue then u can plan where to position yourself and understand lighting condition. Or should be at least 2 hour earlier before the event to familiarize yourself with the setting.

Hi,

Anyway - I was just wondering if anyone has any tips in the field?
I've never done anything like this and I'm a wildlife photographer!
If it makes you feel more comfortable hide in a bush or tree and treat the guests like wildlife :)

as said hire a 24-70mm f2.8 stick that on the d700, and the 80-200mm on the d80 unless you can hire another d700, and are they getting wed in a church or registry office, find out if you can use flash, if you can use flash do and learn to bounce or get a diffuser,
and as said by hugh the d700 is used world wide by many pro wedding togs.

All the best for your shoot.

Can't add much more advice from what has already been said other than to think about your light.

What time is the wedding ceremony and what will the light be like afterwards? If it is a late afternoon wedding you may find yourself shooting indoors rather than out.

Also, find out what the reception venue is like inside. I shot a wedding last weekend and the failing light meant everybody stayed inside; the venue was not huge and so I was forced to use my 24-80 lens as opposed to my preferred 70-200. I was also having to bounce my SB800 off any available ceiling or wall.

Spooks

You have enough kit for the day, relax.. and relax some more. Try to resist the temptation to gun the camera in the hope that you will get some good ones. Slow down and you will get some great ones! Don't be afraid to crank up the ISO it will help and most of all TALK TO PEOPLE!

LOL advice may be a bit late as the wedding was in August!

So how did it go? Got any pics to share?

Just come across this thread.
Would love to see some of the weddings photos as you wildlife photos are stunning

Well done!

If it makes you feel more comfortable hide in a bush or tree and treat the guests like wildlife :)

:LOL:

Well you are more than capable with the Animal kingdom - I am sure you will be fine once clicking away - the 24 70 f2.8 is the lens of choice for many Nikon wedding Togs too!

Last edited:
Back