Wedding Photography

riu

Name
steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Forgive me if this has been done to death !!!!!!

I am wanting to increase my photography skills and look at different area's. I have covered some sport and wildlife in the past and have had some excellent results.

My next area to try is documentary/event type stuff such as weddings etc. I really enjoy learning and testing myself. I recently did a low key wedding for a friend and am somewhat hooked. I want to improve and learn more.

Are there any decent courses out there that would give me a good understanding of what is required, or are they of no use. If that is the case, what would you suggest?

regards
Steve

Last edited:
Do you take photos of people? do you like taking photos of people?

What is your current level?

Dan
I do like taking pictures of people, especially candid stuff. I am pretty comfortable with camera settings and not afraid on manual settings etc.

I would say before you start spending a lot of money on wedding courses (the good ones are expensive ) why not try and be a 2nd shooter or bag carrier for a local photographer . Before I started with weddings I thought I knew the format very well because I have been a guest loads of times . I got a complete eye opener the 1st time as a photographer.

Stuart
I have actually shot a wedding (very low key one) for a friend, the shots that mattered worked out pretty well, and the couple were highly delighted. I am somewhat hooked and would like to progress and improve. As for local photographers I am struggling.
regards
Steve

Ahhh ok so you've a good idea you'll enjoy it then . I'm in Northern Ireland so sorry I can't suggest a course. When I started out I must have personally contacted at least 50 photographers , 1 .....yes 1 give me a shot with him and that got me off the ground , but 1 is all you need

Reactions: riu
Stuart
I have actually shot a wedding (very low key one) for a friend, the shots that mattered worked out pretty well, and the couple were highly delighted. I am somewhat hooked and would like to progress and improve. As for local photographers I am struggling.
regards
Steve

Have you shared the photos with the forum for CC? do you know what your weaknesses are? what would you hope to learn from a course?

- I apologise for my previous questions, I completely did not read you'd shot a wedding in your first post.

Last edited:
Hi Dan
I have not posted any shots on the forum, as for weaknesses and learning points - I would say that mastering the available light quickly. Working with people to get the best opportunity, , my biggest weakness is workflow and editing.

Hi Dan
I have not posted any shots on the forum, as for weaknesses and learning points - I would say that mastering the available light quickly. Working with people to get the best opportunity, , my biggest weakness is workflow and editing.

Well I can't offer advice on any course, and I'm not a full time professional photographer.

All I can share is my own experience,

First of all the generous constructive criticism provided on this forum is invaluable, learn from the masters. I highly recommend it!

Before weddings, and on the run up to my first weddings I found lots of opportunities to photograph people.
- Street photography
- Comic Con Portraiture
- Colleagues in pub
- Halloween/Christmas Parties
- Studio portraits with wife and friends

If you consider the different types of photography you do during a wedding, you can simulate it and practice.

I remember being concerned about low light photography, so I looked forward to a night out in the pub with friends - I learnt to balance ambient light with the flash to create pleasing results. I did eventually get told off by the bouncers.. but I'd had plenty of practice, and drink.. by then.

With all this practice you can build up a good library of images, one you might help you land a place as second shooter.

As for workflow/editing - I personally use Lightroom.
I remember doing a photoshoot for a colleague's son, my white balance varied from photo to photo as did my processing - I was picked up on this (by the forum, colleague was happy), and it's one of those things I remember to pay attention to. So CC may help with realising a workflow.

I hope some of this helps, sorry if it's beneath you :)

Last edited:
Reactions: riu
Hi Dan

Thanks for the info, and its not "beneath" me. All information is greatly appreciated. As I said I am eager to learn and also to improve. I am not saying I want to be a pro wedding shooter I just want to enjoy myself and test my own ability. I really need to start building a portfolio of images.

kind regards
Steve

Rob. I am near Wakefield West Yorkshire .

I can suggest looking at red5studios they are in West Yorkshire and are great people especially if you are just starting out. I also attended a course from Brett Harkness which was great. Brett's DVDS are also worth checking out for weddings.

Link for red5. http://www.shootsmart.co.uk

Last edited:
I can suggest looking at red5studios they are in West Yorkshire and are great people especially if you are just starting out. I also attended a course from Brett Harkness which was great. Brett's DVDS are also worth checking out for weddings.

Link for red5. http://www.shootsmart.co.uk
Cheers Scotty, I had originally booked on a course with them last month, but due to my dad been critical (now fine), I had to cancel. Not released any dates for the next one as yet. I will have a look at the Harkness dvd's
regards
Steve

Some pics now on the picture section of this forum

regards
Steve

Stuart
regards
Steve

Why are you struggling? I can only speak for me, but someone telling me how good 2nd shooting would be for them will go in the bin. But if you tell me why you 2nd shooting would be good for me, then atleast I'd listen and buy you a coffee for a chat

Hugh
I have now managed to get a couple of weddings days with a Wedding Photographer (not in my area).
Regards
Steve

Can highly recommend Gary at Red5studios or shootsmart.co.uk. Saw his ad, gave him a call...booked on two courses.....one for portraiture and studio work and the second for weddings.
On the wedding course, he does a morning in the classroom looking at the theory of lighting and loads of demonstrations on setups.........an afternoon in the studio looking at the smaller details of wedding photography talking about the showcase images and the 'bread and butter' images.
Second day is on location with an actual mock wedding including bride and groom, looking at all the different aspects and techniques you would come across.
Third day is classroom based looking at post processing and presenting to the client.

I would definitely recommend them. Really friendly and more than willing to go back and recap.
He gave me so much confidence behind the camera and have done lots of shoots. With 2 weddings so far booked for next year and lots of other photo shoots.

I did a local course (near newcastle recently)
very helpful indeed. run by a local studio with 2 experienced wedding photographers.
Loads of information. Some was technical and hands on, but the majority was about approach, relationships and the practical side of the day.

Ahhh ok so you've a good idea you'll enjoy it then . I'm in Northern Ireland so sorry I can't suggest a course. When I started out I must have personally contacted at least 50 photographers , 1 .....yes 1 give me a shot with him and that got me off the ground , but 1 is all you need

Hi @stumac,

Sorry for going a bit off topic, not meaning to steal any limelight but I'm based in Northern Ireland and have seriously been considering Paul Crawford's wedding course... just curious to see if you've been on any course offeredby him or know of any others over here?

Cheers!
Brian.

Bazza , I booked Paul's when I started out and then had to back out of it but I gave the ticket to my friend and he says it was good , workshops are good but very controlled and in my opnion don't really prepare you for real world weddings eg- you have a model bride and groom who look good in every photo regardless and the venues are usually top notch where it can be difficult to get a bad shot , then you think your ready for the real thing to find your 1st venue is a dark hole with a bride and groom who hate having their pic taken , it's a whole different ball game . I think if you can get 2nd shooting experience it is far better than any workshop.

Hi @stumac,

Sorry for going a bit off topic, not meaning to steal any limelight but I'm based in Northern Ireland and have seriously been considering Paul Crawford's wedding course... just curious to see if you've been on any course offeredby him or know of any others over here?

Cheers!
Brian.
Hi Brian - I did Paul's wedding course a couple of years ago and would recommend it. He covers some posing, advice on managing groups and he did a bit of OCF as well but also basics of album design, workflow etc.

Paul's also a lovely guy and very patient with questions.

I think if you can get 2nd shooting experience it is far better than any workshop.
Workshops/courses are a great place to find people to second shoot with. A lot of established photographers have regular seconds already and unlikely to take someone with them unless they've met in person. On a course you meet others at a similar stage who appreciate the backup of having someone along and return the favour for you.

I have this reciprocal arrangement with someone (who also shot my own wedding last year) and we met on Paul Crawford's course.

Xtraodinary photography
will PM a link for you

I am also looking at a course in the Newcastle area? Seems like you would recommend them? Did you manage to get many images for your portfolio? IF you have any online I would love to see the sort of images that come out of one of these days.

... Did you manage to get many images for your portfolio? ...

I'm not suggesting that you would stoop so low yourself, but I can't pass up this opportunity to point out that including pictures taken at a workshop in an online portfolio of wedding photography is more than misleading. It's unethical, it's totally out of order - and it's guaranteed to bite you in the bum sooner or later.

I'm not suggesting that you would stoop so low yourself, but I can't pass up this opportunity to point out that including pictures taken at a workshop in an online portfolio of wedding photography is more than misleading. It's unethical, it's totally out of order - and it's guaranteed to bite you in the bum sooner or later.
That might cause differing opinions on here, and yes an established pro shouldn't or wouldn't need to. I would guess most people taking courses like this have had little experience, I wouldn't see the problem in using some of the images on a website etc, as long as your honest about it.

That might cause differing opinions on here, and yes an established pro shouldn't or wouldn't need to. I would guess most people taking courses like this have had little experience, I wouldn't see the problem in using some of the images on a website etc, as long as your honest about it.

Not really anything to do with being established or not Sid is spot on , misleading a bride into thinking you have taken photos at a wedding is not on. Comparing a controlled learning environment with instructors and experienced models has no relevance whatsoever to the wedding day itself , it may help with camera controls and knowledge but then so would taking your nana to the park with your camera. If you are going to build a portfolio of images like that then you would be either having to tell the bride that these are not wedding photos or lie to her , either way not a great footing.

Either second tog or find a friend who cant afford a photographer and do theirs for free on the understanding of using the images.

It has also been mentioned that its all about the way you approach asking to second tog and i could not agree more, I receive weekly emails from people wanting to come and get 'experience' of wedding photography. Firstly why on earth would i want to train someone to compete with me in the future for free ? and secondly why should a bride paying a good amount of money for a professional service have someone training during her special day ! You need to approach it as offering something special to the photographer not to yourself or you will find the door shut 99% of the time.

There is no easy sure-fire route to wedding photography, its one you make yourself and part of being a photographer of any kind is having that entrepreneurial spirit that will make it happen.

Not really anything to do with being established or not Sid is spot on , misleading a bride into thinking you have taken photos at a wedding is not on. Comparing a controlled learning environment with instructors and experienced models has no relevance whatsoever to the wedding day itself , it may help with camera controls and knowledge but then so would taking your nana to the park with your camera. If you are going to build a portfolio of images like that then you would be either having to tell the bride that these are not wedding photos or lie to her , either way not a great footing.

Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating passing off staged shots as an actual paid shoot, I am saying that I don't see problems using such images on your website or blog etc as long as you describe them as such.

and secondly why should a bride paying a good amount of money for a professional service have someone training during her special day ! You need to approach it as offering something special to the photographer not to yourself or you will find the door shut 99% of the time[/QUOTE said:
I agree, to an extent.....and yes some totally clueless idiot running around would be awful, I think you have to have a certain degree of competence or at least the right attitude to the whole experience. Disagree to some extent though, how to Doctors train/teachers etc etc? By shadowing qualified professionals and learning from them. I wouldn't think twice if a student was sitting in on a consultation with a consultant or in a class I was attending

Last edited:
You are right about the reluctance to train a competitor. I think I would look to shadow someone outside of my direct area if possible, although equally I guess a close alias who you can refer clients too if you are fully booked and visa versa could be beneficial.

I am also looking at a course in the Newcastle area? Seems like you would recommend them? Did you manage to get many images for your portfolio? IF you have any online I would love to see the sort of images that come out of one of these days.

hi
the studio is Xtraodinary photography, the owner seems good and his business partner is even more experienced but takes 2nd shooter to organise and facilitate the whole thing.
good course.
portfolio shots....agreed with the above. I would not claim them to be proper shots.
However, here are some examples
one from the shoot
10904494_10152657254852993_1556360812522789447_o.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152657254852993&l=63fc5b2026
Then this one from a wedding a week later. not perfect but I found the tips very transferable.
A99A7510 by DizMatt, on Flickr

we covered some OCF techniques too, which I enjoyed and then tried them out below.
It was rushed and this image needs some editing and tidying up, but it's an example from the wedding.
A99A7471 by DizMatt, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back