Wedding Rings

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Afternoon all,

This is the photo I submitted for Module 1 of the Nikon DSLR course on exposure compensation.

I did everything in camera apart from cropping. I think I did well with the rule of thirds with this picture, all C&C welcome.

5588397683_4190aa142f.jpg

Technical info:
Nikon D80
Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D
1/160 sec
f/7.1
ISO: 100
Focal length:50mm (75mm on my body)
Exposure Bias: -3 EV (To get black background)
Lighting: Natural

some points to hopefully improve the photo:

*reflection of the camera man - never a good thing
*lacking "mood" - a wedding is happy, fun, but thats missing from the photo, I would try some soft coloured (warm - yellow, gold, orange) light on the rings with a dark background
*a little lower f value, giving more DOF would provide some emphasis on the rings (you have a 1.8 lens, use it (y))

But from the point of view of the course and exposure compensation, looks good :D

HTH

Thanks Graham,

To be honest all I was looking for was to improve my composition and nail the exposure compensation.

Thanks for the other tips too! (y)

Cameraman in shot was noticed by me, but the the heavens opened and I had to retreat back inside. I could have cloned it out but the module says no use of PP software other than to crop.

Personally I think they look a bit lost in the frame, far too much negative space. Nice looking rings and the way you've laid them out looks good.

Thanks George,

I see what you mean about the dead space. Thanks for your comments! (y)

My first thought was that they lack "sparkle" A bit bland.

Is it me or is the horizon not quite level too? Seems to be sloping to the right a bit..
I know its not the intention of the picture, but is it a bit weird having 3 rings in a wedding ring shot?

Well thought out composition, with good placement of each ring, composition looks good to me me, exposure looks great, nicely held back highlights, lighting about as good as it gets, good overall sharpness. I dont find the 3 rings odd, engagement and marriage

What could improve the shot, as said attention to the horizon, and a little sparkle from the diamonds.

Over all a very competent shot, well done, :clap:

Last edited:
I agree with comments made, although I like the composition. Just a thought, I have always thought of exposure compensation (EC) as 'tweaking' the camera to fix the metering when in (1) dark places (museums, churches) or (2) bright places (beaches, snow). I would never have thought of using EC for this subject.

I agree with comments made, although I like the composition. Just a thought, I have always thought of exposure compensation (EC) as 'tweaking' the camera to fix the metering when in (1) dark places (museums, churches) or (2) bright places (beaches, snow). I would never have thought of using EC for this subject.

Why ever not? EC should be used when any non-mid tone dominates the scene regardless of the subject.

@ Edward - Thanks for taking the time to comment.

@ Tom - Good spot on the horizon, I certainly did not notice that.

@ Dave - Thanks for your critique, it is nice to get good in-depth critique. Thanks for spotting the horizon. Not sure how to exposure compensate and get sparkle, maybe a little flash?

@ Carol - Thanks for taking the time to comment. I was not sure what to do for subject mater and I thought this might be a test to get a good black in the background using exposure compensation.

I might try and shoot this again when I get a chance. :thinking:

Last edited:
Why ever not? EC should be used when any non-mid tone dominates the scene regardless of the subject.

You may be right, it just never occurred to me. I don't do much macro..

You may be right, it just never occurred to me. I don't do much macro..

But it doesn't have to be macro, it could be a portrait with backlighting or against a dark background, A white bird against a dark background, a dark bird against the sky. It's all about being in control of the exposure for your subject and not letting your camera make all the decisions.

But it doesn't have to be macro, it could be a portrait with backlighting or against a dark background, A white bird against a dark background, a dark bird against the sky. It's all about being in control of the exposure for your subject and not letting your camera make all the decisions.

:plus1:

Back