Wedding shoot for Work Colleague

Name
Rick
Edit My Images
Yes
Not an easy situation - first wedding.....as a favour for a work colleague....on the shortest day of the year.....in cold conditions....with fog. :D

They were extremely laid back about the photos and knew my experience to date - they just wanted some nice clean pics to remember the day by.

Got my settings wrong on occasion and spent most of the day shooting at highish ISO due to poor light! Overall I enjoyed it!!

All comments graciously received!

8303834454_463b810e34_c.jpg

8302780397_3062c54e4a_c.jpg

8303833010_ec4d22638e_c.jpg

8302778717_8f6425bc69_c.jpg

8302777875_b863521152_c.jpg

8303830580_d07782f2e4_c.jpg

a slight lean on 1 and 3 otherwise they look good to me.

In shot 2 they do not appear to be looking at you....distractions I guess?

Yep, think you're right about the lean! shot 2 pretty sure they are looking at me though his eyes do tend to be near closed!:D

well not for a full time wedding photographer you seem to have done a good job i certainley would be happy with them

many thanks, I only do photography part-time as I work full-time elsewhere so get limited hours to do outdoor work, which is my weak point!

Wow first wedding, you do have an eye for it, I like all the shots. The first one is the only one I have to think about maybe a little creepy, you look like you have stalked them through the trees lol also straighten the horizon line on this one. The others really good, You have used leading to draw the eye and the lighting looks really good :)

Last edited:
Wow first wedding, you do have an eye for it, I like all the shots. The first one is the only one I have to think about maybe a little creepy, you look like you have stalked them through the trees lol also straighten the horizon line on this one. The others really good, You have used leading to draw the eye and the lighting looks really good :)

Stalked them? :D I can see why you say that so no probs! (y)

Really appreciate the compliments! have to say I breathed a big sign of relief when I got home and reviewed them. it is worrying capturing the biggest day of someones life!

Nothing wrong with these for a first attempt and much better than some of the full time wedding guys I have seen.

These are great images, and for a first go, you have done very very well. You rightfully should be very very pleased

Here is some constructive critique

Most are spoilt a bit by too much vignette in post. The colour temp on the outdoors ones seems a little cold to me

In shot 3 & 4 you are tending to blow the dress a little, again, you should be able to get this back in post

In shot 1, there is an issue with slight tilting, and the framing could be a lot better

Shot 5 is excellent, suffers a little from lens distortion that can be fixed in post

No6 could be excellent (and would then be the money shot), if the vignette was a little less harsh (look at the hand and the skin tone) Hint... use gradients in Lightroom, instead of vignettes, you can control the outcome a little more accurately

Stalked them? :D I can see why you say that so no probs! (y)

Really appreciate the compliments! have to say I breathed a big sign of relief when I got home and reviewed them. it is worrying capturing the biggest day of someones life!

Far beyond my skills mate well done(y)(y)

As good if not better than I have seen from so called Wedding Professionals,you should be well pleased with these and I bet the couple are very happy

It's comments like this....

Nothing wrong with these for a first attempt and much better than some of the full time wedding guys I have seen.

...and this...

This sums it up well for me.

...and this that makes TP such a sad place to frequent. So many jealous members that aren't shooting weddings professionally themselves. As soon as the opportunity to have a dig at pro shooters presents itself and they dive straight in. Pathetic.

OP - not a bad first attempt. If you did it as a favour them I'm sure the couple will be very happy

...and this...

...and this that makes TP such a sad place to frequent. So many jealous members that aren't shooting weddings professionally themselves. As soon as the opportunity to have a dig at pro shooters presents itself and they dive straight in. Pathetic.

OP - not a bad first attempt. If you did it as a favour them I'm sure the couple will be very happy

Quite right the 100 plus weddings I have photographed over the years give me no right to make comments like that

Oh, looks like we've a touchy wedding tog with us tonight.......................go and sleep it off Ryan, you'll be fine in the morning.

What an attitude!

Quite right the 100 plus weddings I have photographed over the years give me no right to make comments like that

Correct. You don't have the right to deride our profession. It's a skilled profession that takes a huge amount of commitment to do well. If you've shot so many weddings you'd know that.

Christmas? I'll be sitting with my dear mum in a hospital ward while we wait to here what happens next after her brain tumour diagnosis. So I can't say Christmas is particularly magic this year and it certainly has no relevance to the nonsense above.

Christmas? I'll be sitting with my dear mum in a hospital ward while we wait to here what happens next after her brain tumour diagnosis. So I can't say Christmas is particularly magic this year and it certainly has no relevance to the nonsense above.

Just a light hearted jibe mate
Genuinely sorry to hear your situation, hope you get some positive news and somewhere along the way you have a happy christmas

Ah, the magic of christmas :LOL:

:D

I appreciate all the kind comments. Just emailed 10 images to the bride and she loves them! :)

Richard - just had a look at gradients there - I see what you mean!! Top tip - many thanks. :) Very useful advice given and greatly appreciated. (y)

Peace and good will to all men (incl wedding togs):D

Rick - Nice shots and a fantastic set. I really like it

@ Ryanyboy - ~ Sorry to hear about your Mom - May the winds of God be blown with her

Great set of shots, especially for your first wedding. Number 4 & 5 are my favourites out of them, as I particularly like the use of the stairs.

...and this...

For the avoidance of doubt, I took the original comment that I seconded to refer to some of the shocking instances of 'professional wedding photography' that pop up now and again. I was in no way intending to mock those who turn out top quality stuff, the like of which we see here frequently. My comment was intended solely as praise for the OP.

Excellent set, you've done really well

If I were the customer I'd be more than happy with these

hi rick
great set of pictures
guess you have noticed there are a few touchy togs on this forum !
if you say black they say white

hi rick
great set of pictures
guess you have noticed there are a few touchy togs on this forum !
if you say black they say white

Part of the reason I ain't bothered with this forum for a while, since returning it seems that the problem with a small minority of overly sensitive wedding togs still prevails

For the avoidance of doubt, I took the original comment that I seconded to refer to some of the shocking instances of 'professional wedding photography' that pop up now and again. I was in no way intending to mock those who turn out top quality stuff, the like of which we see here frequently. My comment was intended solely as praise for the OP.

And this is how I interpreted it. Many thanks again.

Not bad, except for those ghastly vignette effects....... one imagines Voldemort lurking in the gloom!:D

These are gorgeous shots - especially for your first time :D No wonder the Bride is happy with them and Im sure anyone would be.... Agree with all the critique so not going to add anything else to it :)

'touchy and sensitive' people on here - please lets just all get on ..... I joined this forum because I thought it was so friendly and helpful - everyone so far has given their advice and help without any nastiness and b**chy comments. No Photographer (Pro or amateur ) is perfect ...... We are all learning every time we click that button. It doesn't matter how many years you have been taking photographs. Beginners need help and advice not pettiness. Your opinions do count and are helpful to us all...... but there is no need to start a 'handbags at dawn' argument on anyones thread. The comments are the writers personal opinion and not aimed at any one person or profession. So let's just get on with it shall we and help each other :D Merry Christmas everyone :)

Amazing lighting. Love the selection of outdoor and indoor venues. Fog adds a lot of character to the images...

Correct. You don't have the right to deride our profession. It's a skilled profession that takes a huge amount of commitment to do well. If you've shot so many weddings you'd know that.

Total nonsense !

Excellent attempt by the OP, just a few wee changes to get 100%, well done indeed!

Seeing as the OP wanted comment and I have nothing better to watch on telly as wifey's finally having a rest and has stolen the remote :D

First of all - a good set of images by someone obviously competent in their photography, just a couple of pointers if I may

1 - the composition's not right for me as they are around the centre and the top of the image isn't doing anything interesting, so its kinda split the image in two. Chop off the top down to where the big branch on the left starts and you've put them on a 1/3 thereabouts, both down a 1/3 and a 1/3 from the left placing more emphasis on the water (which is more interesting than the trees)

I'm not convinced that building's walls are perfectly vertical, but my biggest problem is the birch growing out of the Groom's head. When concentrating on everything else about a shot its all too easy to miss the background, so always look past the subject and see what crap is behind and reposition them or yourself

Lastly (ignoring the PP) there's an old saying in portraits that goes 'If it bends, bend it' - so always try to avoid straight arms, as here with the Groom - even sticking his hand in his pocket (cuff still showing) would be more attractive, and if they'd turned into more of a V they could have held hands too, which is usually nicer than square on and straight armed

2 - lovely shot, genuinely looks like they were walking along and suddenly called back by a friend. In this light, a wee dodge on their faces and eye sockets may help

3 - another nice shot. The branch jutting in top right looks a little more like a mistake than the design I'm sure it was. This is as the shoot-through of foliage is generally used to suggest a candid capture with the couple looking at each other or anywhere but at the photographer, whereas here they are still looking at the photographer so it looks more like a mistake than intended

He has a straight arm again, and the Bride is now on the 'wrong' side again. By 'wrong' I mean its usual too to try to keep them on the same side as they marry during the ceremony, partly for continuity in the album as constantly swapping sides stands out as being odd after a while

4 - a good effort in what was probably a tight spot, but the background is intrusive in the radiator and the lighter area near the pillar just above the Groom's head. His arm has a slight bend (better) but his hand is cut-off, so it'd have been better lightly resting on the bannister. He has an odd expression too, so maybe this needed a couple more attempts to get a better one or he really is getting fed up

5 - straightening this image would cut into the back of her dress a bit, but that will actually aid composition for me, and the top left needs to be cropped out too as its distracting; but overall a lovely image and great expression

6 - had she been a tad closer to the bannister her right arm wouldn't have been so straight, and if she'd held her flowers around or just above her waist her left arm would have a nice bend and be presenting the bouquet better to camera; but otherwise another lovely image

I hope you don't mind these comments and if the rest of the day was of a similar standard then yes, some of the previous comments about Pro standards are valid. I have certainly seen worse from full-time Pros let alone part-timers (who are not necessary worse btw)

In summation - good job done their mate (y)

Dave

Seeing as the OP wanted comment and I have nothing better to watch on telly as wifey's finally having a rest and has stolen the remote :D

First of all - a good set of images by someone obviously competent in their photography, just a couple of pointers if I may

1 - the composition's not right for me as they are around the centre and the top of the image isn't doing anything interesting, so its kinda split the image in two. Chop off the top down to where the big branch on the left starts and you've put them on a 1/3 thereabouts, both down a 1/3 and a 1/3 from the left placing more emphasis on the water (which is more interesting than the trees)

I'm not convinced that building's walls are perfectly vertical, but my biggest problem is the birch growing out of the Groom's head. When concentrating on everything else about a shot its all too easy to miss the background, so always look past the subject and see what crap is behind and reposition them or yourself

Lastly (ignoring the PP) there's an old saying in portraits that goes 'If it bends, bend it' - so always try to avoid straight arms, as here with the Groom - even sticking his hand in his pocket (cuff still showing) would be more attractive, and if they'd turned into more of a V they could have held hands too, which is usually nicer than square on and straight armed

2 - lovely shot, genuinely looks like they were walking along and suddenly called back by a friend. In this light, a wee dodge on their faces and eye sockets may help

3 - another nice shot. The branch jutting in top right looks a little more like a mistake than the design I'm sure it was. This is as the shoot-through of foliage is generally used to suggest a candid capture with the couple looking at each other or anywhere but at the photographer, whereas here they are still looking at the photographer so it looks more like a mistake than intended

He has a straight arm again, and the Bride is now on the 'wrong' side again. By 'wrong' I mean its usual too to try to keep them on the same side as they marry during the ceremony, partly for continuity in the album as constantly swapping sides stands out as being odd after a while

4 - a good effort in what was probably a tight spot, but the background is intrusive in the radiator and the lighter area near the pillar just above the Groom's head. His arm has a slight bend (better) but his hand is cut-off, so it'd have been better lightly resting on the bannister. He has an odd expression too, so maybe this needed a couple more attempts to get a better one or he really is getting fed up

5 - straightening this image would cut into the back of her dress a bit, but that will actually aid composition for me, and the top left needs to be cropped out too as its distracting; but overall a lovely image and great expression

6 - had she been a tad closer to the bannister her right arm wouldn't have been so straight, and if she'd held her flowers around or just above her waist her left arm would have a nice bend and be presenting the bouquet better to camera; but otherwise another lovely image

I hope you don't mind these comments and if the rest of the day was of a similar standard then yes, some of the previous comments about Pro standards are valid. I have certainly seen worse from full-time Pros let alone part-timers (who are not necessary worse btw)

Dave

Now that is what I call critique! Excellent! Many thanks for taking time to write all that and it is genuinely very helpful. :)

Dave

An excellent reply, I really enjoyed reading this and also picked up more than a few interesting tips and tricks

Same here - great reply which in turn helped us as well as Rick :) Will be watching out for all these little things especially the straight arm (never even thought of that one :) )

Back