Wedding Togs - Primes

Name
Danny
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

My trusty Sony 70-200 2.8 G is on its last legs, it's served me well for the past 5 years but is giving me a few problems now so I'm looking to replace it.

I typically shoot with a 35mm 1.4 on one body and 70-200 2.8 on the other. I switch over to a wide angle for groups but for the rest of the day these two lenses usually stay on the bodies.

I'm wanting to give a prime a try and I really can't decide between the 85mm 1.4 or the Zeiss 135mm 1.8 - I hear absolutely amazing things about the latter but I'm not sure if the focal length will be too long. Do any of you use primes like these, I'm interested in hearing your experiences? The Sony Alpha bodies are pretty mediocre in low light so I definitely want to go prime for those extra stops of light but I really can't decide which?

I have read quite a few comparisons and both seem to be good lenses, but I'm after more practical advice from those who use primes at weddings.

Cheers.

Hey Danny, you might be better off posting in the pro section.

I have the 85mm Zeiss and it's awesome with the A99. I'm not a wedding pro though!

I do lust after the 135 and I regularly follow auctions on eBay for a decent one. You may be better off with the Tamron 70-200 usd which is superior in every way to the sony 70-200.

Only you can answer this question as every tog is different!

Surely the easy option is to do a quick exif analysis of your last 10 weddings and see what your most used focal lengths are? They you will know how you are using the 70-200mm range and which prime or primes will best cover you.

Back