Wedding

Name
Nikki
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm going to a wedding in a few weeks as a guest. I have an 18-55 and a 50 and 70-300. Do I need to take all of these with me. I am not great with the 50 one though

I've been to a few weddings with similar lenses. My advice would be to stand back and use the 70-300 to capture some candid pictures. I did this exclusively at a friends wedding in August last year and found the bride and groom really liked how natural people looked. They've even used some of them around their house favouring them to the posed pictures.

It's great experience and you'll capture some unique momoents :)

I agree with Neil you will be able to pick off some lovely candid shots with the 70-300. Having said that the fifty is a great portrait lens and would be faster in low light situations during the service and doesn't take up too much pocket space.

Enjoy.

Just stay away of the official photographer's way. Nothing worse than a friend of a guest standing next to me while I'm doing my job. Guests don't know where to look, meaning it takes me longer to get my shot. As you say, doing the stuff official guy won't do is the best approach as a guest.

Nikon 70-300mm lenses are both are slow, so either high ISO or flash is a must. Direct flash are no no, so be creative with bouncing from different directions, and off different coloured materials for fun. Wide open, high ISO into mono conversion will also probably be appreciated as additional shots.

Bottom line, there's already someone doing their job taking photographs. You are there to celebrate your friends' special day. Leave the camera as a secondary thing, and just be there for them, and enjoy yourself :)

I agree with Neil you will be able to pick off some lovely candid shots with the 70-300. Having said that the fifty is a great portrait lens and would be faster in low light situations during the service and doesn't take up too much pocket space.

Enjoy.

i have found that while the official photograhper is organising photos ,the crowd watching him is the best source of photos ,especialy the kids when they get bored, you can get all sorts of photos of them up to mischief while the parents are looking away from them lol....

I've been to a few weddings with similar lenses. My advice would be to stand back and use the 70-300 to capture some candid pictures. I did this exclusively at a friends wedding in August last year and found the bride and groom really liked how natural people looked. They've even used some of them around their house favouring them to the posed pictures.

It's great experience and you'll capture some unique momoents :)

Totally with Neil on this one you get some great grab shots when you are well back,in fact went to a mate's daughters wedding a few years ago and its one of my shot's that adorns their lounge wall.Official Tog was really hacked off because I used to work for him

Thanks all
I was just asking as didn't want to take lens I don't need. I won't be getting in the photographer way I had no intention of that

I always used to manage on my 18 -55mm only because that was the only lens i had

hi nikki, hope you don't mind me jumping in on your post however, i am also taking some phots at a friends wedding next week and was wondering which lens i should take with me. i am still in the process of deciding whether to buy a 17-55 or 24-70 to compliment my lens line-up however, if the purchase is made prior to the wedding then this lens will also be a contender to use on the day.

1.2f said:
hi nikki, hope you don't mind me jumping in on your post however, i am also taking some phots at a friends wedding next week and was wondering which lens i should take with me. i am still in the process of deciding whether to buy a 17-55 or 24-70 to compliment my lens line-up however, if the purchase is made prior to the wedding then this lens will also be a contender to use on the day.

I'd suggest a 17-55 (the 2.8 IS?) on a crop sensor, 24-70 on a full-frame... Otherwise you may struggle if you want wide group shots.

Will these work on a nikon d3100. Will they have auto focus

i think i am going to make use my current three lenses will be good to put them in action.

Back