Weddings

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
A few from various weddings I've shot. Any CC would be appreciated. I just do this as a hobby but have started having people ask me to take their wedding shots.

I have some decent equipment and can borrow a 350D as a back up camera , but I still lack confidence.

Anyway here's a few.....

MG_87111.jpg

A_L_04.jpg

MG_8297.jpg

MG_8466.jpg

1.jpg

5.jpg

MG_9874.jpg

Bride_3.jpg

B_W-Favourite.jpg

Wedding_Dee_Ann068.jpg

I'm no pro EOS_JD but I think that these are truly stunning, producing pictures like these you should have no problems getting work, and any bride and groom will be more than happy. I think you have more than enough skill to go for it, with regards to critiquing the photos I will leave that to the pros.

Nick

Nick
Very kind words. I learn the more I take shots but I've hardly lifted my camera the last few months. Busy moving home just now.... All packed up except the PC :)

These are obviously some of what I feel are my best from 4 weddings (more in my gallery). I have two people keen for my services this year and am trying to do them a favour by doing it cheap.

Maybe if these go well I'll look more seriously at it as a business!

Anyway thanks again

Jim

I did my first wedding last summer, was terrified that they would hate the stuff I did for them, I didn't like them much myself but the family were happy. I've been asked to do another one in April and am looking at everyones shots for ideas (thanks EOS_JD :) ) How are you at taking charge? I found that very difficult to do.

EOS_JD nice set, no1 & 2 my favs.
I'm sure others will be along soon to give the same/similar advice. You should never " am trying to do them a favour by doing it cheap" as you may/will get branded as the cheap tog.

I did my first wedding last summer, was terrified that they would hate the stuff I did for them, I didn't like them much myself but the family were happy. I've been asked to do another one in April and am looking at everyones shots for ideas (thanks EOS_JD :) ) How are you at taking charge? I found that very difficult to do.

Yes this is a hard thing. I waslucky at a friends wedding where one of the guests had some posing experience and he helped. At my last 2 weddingsI had to be pretty commanding. You relly have to be almost cheeky as it's hard trying to organise the many images you have to take.

Try getting a list oif the shots you want to take and give a copy to the best man/bridesmaid and ask them to organise the appropriate people .

Having an assistant to carry your bag and chase the odd thing is very helpful.

You just need to bite the bullt and get people into the positions you want them. trying to be nice sometimes just doesn't work.

Good luck with the next :)

EOS_JD nice set, no1 & 2 my favs.
I'm sure others will be along soon to give the same/similar advice. You should never " am trying to do them a favour by doing it cheap" as you may/will get branded as the cheap tog.

Paying a large mortgage (well large to me) means I don't want to turn work away an usually the people that come to me are not loking to pay in excess of £500!

The more weddings I do, the more I'm charging. till very cheap but I get the experience which is also extremely valuable to me and they are aware that I'm not a full time pro and that there's a risk of them being disappointed.

All have been delighted so far and I hop[e that trend continues though. My next investment is a small portrait studio. Hoping to get some more clients this way and once I have some experince I'll gather more confidence.

THanks for the kind words.

Regards
Jim

I've done a couple of weddings but I don't do them very often as portraits have never been my 'bag', so I just do them occasionally. The last one was in September and it made me about £300 for a couple of hours standing around taking photos. Once you realise that people will go where the hell you tell them to go, and smile when you tell them to smile, its all systems go, really. :)

One guest at the last wedding I did said to me afterwards "you were really friendly for a photographer. You people are usually very bossy!". I took it as a compliment. :D

I'd like to do more.

You've absolutely no need to feel lacking in confidence at all when you can produce work of this quality. ;)

As I've said many times, it's not all about the photography - you should be at least confident in your own abilities and have a good command of at least the photographic basics or frankly you're stark raving mad to even consider taking on a wedding. The hardest part for the newcomer is taking charge of often very large groups of people and keeping a nice balance between being authoritative and maintaining a pleasant disposition. In the early stages you not only have to overcome your inexperience in this, but also in posing people, so expect to be more than a little nervous, which is no bad thing, some things only come with experience and it does get easier. An outgoing type of personality helps a lot, and I've seen pros getting very irate and bossy to the point that they just alienate everyone with their attitude.

It's true that wedding togs often don't have a good reputation, sometimes for the reasons above, and sometimes for just forgetting that it's not their day, it's the couples, and other people have equally important roles to fulfill on the day. I once did a wedding at a very posh country club where I was curious to receive a very frosty reception from staff when I arrived early and introduced myself. It transpired that the photographer the Saturday before had kept everyone hanging around to the extent that the kitchen staff were over an hour late in serving meals for 200 people, and it wasn't that uncommon an occurance.

I've done a couple of weddings but I don't do them very often as portraits have never been my 'bag', so I just do them occasionally. The last one was in September and it made me about £300 for a couple of hours standing around taking photos. Once you realise that people will go where the hell you tell them to go, and smile when you tell them to smile, its all systems go, really. :)

One guest at the last wedding I did said to me afterwards "you were really friendly for a photographer. You people are usually very bossy!". I took it as a compliment. :D

I'd like to do more.

It is a compliment but the proof is in the pudding. I try to be nice but sometimes you just want to get the formals out of the raod as quickly as possible - but equally with the right look. At my last one, the father of the bride was pretty dunk while I was doing the formals and he was really fed up with me placing his feet and me asking him to look at me. He swore a few times but I got the job done. The bride and groom were very nice and the father of the bride was delighted once he saw the images.

It depends on the situation really.

You've absolutely no need to feel lacking in confidence at all when you can produce work of this quality. ;)

As I've said many times, it's not all about the photography - you should be at least confident in your own abilities and have a good command of at least the photographic basics or frankly you're stark raving mad to even consider taking on a wedding. The hardest part for the newcomer is taking charge of often very large groups of people and keeping a nice balance between being authoritative and maintaining a pleasant disposition. In the early stages you not only have to overcome your inexperience in this, but also in posing people, so expect to be more than a little nervous, which is no bad thing, some things only come with experience and it does get easier. An outgoing type of personality helps a lot, and I've seen pros getting very irate and bossy to the point that they just alienate everyone with their attitude.

It's true that wedding togs often don't have a good reputation, sometimes for the reasons above, and sometimes for just forgetting that it's not their day, it's the couples, and other people have equally important roles to fulfill on the day. I once did a wedding at a very posh country club where I was curious to receive a very frosty reception from staff when I arrived early and introduced myself. It transpired that the photographer the Saturday before had kept everyone hanging around to the extent that the kitchen staff were over an hour late in serving meals for 200 people, and it wasn't that uncommon an occurance.

Thanks CT. I appreciate the words.

Yes I've held up the dinner :). The B&G didn't really figure in enough time for the images and the Master of Ceremonies chased me along a few times.

I had to stop and give in eventually but the MC advised I wasn't that late (they generally have a fair idea of the time it takes the average photographer).

Luckily it was also a friend's wedding and he was happy I'd done my best.

Posing large groups is difficult but sometimes larger ones are not that hard!

Wedding_Group_1.jpg

JD

I spent some time on the net yesterday looking at wedding photos and can honestly say I would prefer to pay for the pictures you have posted than most of what I found.

Confidence is a strange thing, we always wonder what we can do better and worry what we have done is not good enough. Well your shots above are more than good enough so get out there

Steve

I love that first shot. :clap:

:canon:

My favourite from all my weddings. Taken with the 24-105 f4L IS @ 1/20th f4 and a little fill flash. I have a mounted A3 and it looks amazing! The bride had some bad skin but the diffusion from the veil hid all the imperfections and I hardly had to touch the skin. Just a little diffuse glow.

Thanks Hypnotic.

JD

I spent some time on the net yesterday looking at wedding photos and can honestly say I would prefer to pay for the pictures you have posted than most of what I found.

Confidence is a strange thing, we always wonder what we can do better and worry what we have done is not good enough. Well your shots above are more than good enough so get out there

Steve

Steve
Praise indeed.

Well I have to say you are obviously seeing my better images! :) Although I do have many others I'm pretty happy with. My problem is I usually take around 700-900 images at a wedding but only end up with 100-150 that I'm reasonably happy with. Closed eyes and poor facial expressions are sometimes captured or a bad exposure ruins a shot (even although I shoot RAW). You really have to anticipate many things. Drop the camera from your eye at your peril! :)

Formals to me are boring although we all have to get your old granny and aunties in somehow :) I prefer the special candid moments but I normally end up with only a few that I'd consider special..... like No1 above.

Thanks all for the confidence boost :love: :)

If you're going to the Focus show at the NEC, there's a couple of seminars that look like they may be able to help you, or at least convince you you're doing OK (y)

There's 2 sets, each split into 3 separate talks... downside is they're £23.50 each talk (or £58.75 for a set of 3)...:thumbsdown:

I planned on going there last year but i ended up with other plans. It's difficult as I live in Scotland and as well as these fees I'd need time off work a hotel and have to pay my travel expenses!!

I'll probably miss it this year :(

Think you should have no concerns about your pics, i can see why people are asking you to take their pictures.

Nicely done.

Just a few thoughts to consider.

Your candids are all quite nicely timed and composed. The shots that are more portrait-like (formal, posed, however you'd like to refer to them) are all quite centered and a bit self-conscious. Notice that you've avoided eye contact from your subject in all of them. ;) That's the area you can improve upon the most. When YOU are comfortable, your subjects will tend to look more comfortable. Take your time, slow down, compose as freely as you do with the candids, and your formals will improve markedly.

- CJ

Think you should have no concerns about your pics, i can see why people are asking you to take their pictures.

Fantastic shots Jim and hats off to you, i was asked by a friend to do their wedding photos a few years ago and kindly declined. I was dreading the fact that something might go wrong.

Fantastic shots Jim and hats off to you, i was asked by a friend to do there wedding photos a few years ago and kindly declined. I was dreading the fact that something might go wrong.

Thanks Jason. It's nice to know I'm on the right track :)

Nicely done.

Just a few thoughts to consider.

Your candids are all quite nicely timed and composed. The shots that are more portrait-like (formal, posed, however you'd like to refer to them) are all quite centered and a bit self-conscious. Notice that you've avoided eye contact from your subject in all of them. ;) That's the area you can improve upon the most. When YOU are comfortable, your subjects will tend to look more comfortable. Take your time, slow down, compose as freely as you do with the candids, and your formals will improve markedly.

- CJ

Hi CJ
I have problems with my net connection at the moment or I'd have replied last night!

I don't always avoid eye contact. I prefer my candids to be that- - no eye contact. THey are not really self conscious but I like to give the feeling of mystery and beauty.

I have many many shots that have eye contact - here's a few although perhaps I need to look more at composition.

THanks for the CC. I'll study my images a little more.

Gropu shot at night. Blew out the whites in the white shirt a little but I like it when printed.

Group_1_1.jpg

Nice to get some flower girl candids.
Pretty_Colour1.jpg

MG_8390.jpg

And more formals
Donna-B_W_1.jpg

MG_0060bw.jpg

MG_9924.jpg

MG_8459.jpg

MG_8704_1.jpg

How are these? Not so much favourites of mine as I prefer my others but the brides liked these.

Regards
Jim

Well you can see the probs with No1 yourself, and the harsh flash is obvious in No 2 with that hard shadow under the chin.

The formal bridesmaid shot would have been so much better if you'd picked a less cluttered distracting background. Never be afraid to ask people to move to a better background. Exposure is good though. :)

The mono group is very nice, and so are the others. The only other one which bugs me is the last one. I'm sure you could have found a better background for this one? I can see what you were going for with the poses, but they both look ill at ease, the bride particularly isn't holding that little bag particularly gracefully, and you perhaps could have found her something better to hold or to do with her hands.

I know it probably sounds a bit picky, but I'm trying to help honest. :)

Hey CT you know your stuff as I knew this.

1. Was from my first wedding (not paid) and I was not sure about flash settings. Tried a few shots but struggled. Made a note - Learn to use flash :)

2. Also from my first wedding. I bouight a fong lightsphese and find it diffuses the light much better. I still like that image although the shadow does annoy me too.

The bridesmaid shot (Also from my first wedding) was taken in the bride's house before the wedding and I had no room to move elsewhere. I'm learning though.

The last one was in the hotel's reception's because it was later at night and dark outside. I just wanted to try something different. I liked it but do see what you're saying.

Thanks for the CC as these are the points that I know I need to think about when taking on jobs like weddings.

Best regards
Jim

Thanks for the help.

I also really don't want to sound picky as I can only aspire to take shots like yours but as a girly very much into her wedding dresses I noticed that in shot 6 (Bride sitting on bench) that the hem of her dress is turned up.
When I was a bridesmaid I was instructed to stand with the photographer and just look at the dress (think he felt a bit awkward fluffing it up every two minutes!). I was knackered by the end!

Just an observation...

:D

Thanks for the help.

No probs... not that you need much.. you're well on your way.

If I learned anything at all it was that setting and background is 75% of professional looking shots. Move people around - move the furniture if you need to - make the venue work to your advantage.

After a while it becomes second nature to check that vewfinder image for clutter before you press the shutter - fire buckets, notice boards, toilet signs, open doors and a whole host of stuff which you get at these venues. You'll still get caught out now and again though. ;)

No probs... not that you need much.. you're well on your way.

If I learned anything at all it was that setting and background is 75% of professional looking shots. Move people around - move the furniture if you need to - make the venue work to your advantage.

Yes I know what you mean :) Ive mnoved a dining table and 6 chairs to make space for a shot!

After a while it becomes second nature to check that vewfinder image for clutter before you press the shutter - fire buckets, notice boards, toilet signs, open doors and a whole host of stuff which you get at these venues. You'll still get caught out now and again though. ;)

Yes I've learned this and find my last wedding was much better than my first. I'd like to be a second shooter but have not got the guts to approach other photographers in my area (lanarkshire). I'll keep the practice going and I'll hope to keep learning.

Thanks again CT
(y)

The real winner there is the group shot. It's a nice setting, nicely posed - OK it's not adventurous, but they're not standing in line like a row of stumps, they actually lean together nicely, and radiant smiles all round as though they're actually enjoying the occasion. Formal groups take some beating when they're that good, I'm sure the subjects love it. ;)

MG_0060bw.jpg

I'd no idea how to set up a group shot and went with what I liked to see. Asked them to put outside foot forward and lean in to each other. Wee joke with granny helped with the laughter. She said to me "don't make me look as though I'm drunk like the last wedding photographer"! Apparently her grandson's pro didn't do very well!

So I tried to make her feel good and I have loads of the group that all came out pretty well.

Doing weddings is no picnic as I can testify after 35years. So rule 1, be prepared, rule 2, make sure rule 1 has been applied, remember you can’t go back and do it again, so practice, practice, and practice your craft until you can do it in your sleep.
The pictures you exhibit here are of an expectable standard but remember you are being paid for this work and it’s what the client likes not what you like your job is to interpret their inner eye so that in the years to come the pictures reflect the day the way they remember it, so talk to them and get an idea of what they like get them to show you pictures and things they like, go to the rehearsal with them, look around the site and think how you are going to present it, talk to the clergy ask what they allow and what they don’t. In other words don’t go in cold and your confidence will grow wedding on wedding.

Finally have a look at this guy’s work and the explanations on using flash and other techniques the article on work flow is very good.

http://www.planetneil.com/index.html

The best of luck.

I love the confetti shot in the original post, what happy couple wouldn't want a shot like that.

Thanks Paul. Appreciate your kind words. the hard thing is trying to get consistent results like this when shooting a wedding. :)

Doing weddings is no picnic as I can testify after 35years. So rule 1, be prepared, rule 2, make sure rule 1 has been applied, remember you can’t go back and do it again, so practice, practice, and practice your craft until you can do it in your sleep.
The pictures you exhibit here are of an expectable standard but remember you are being paid for this work and it’s what the client likes not what you like your job is to interpret their inner eye so that in the years to come the pictures reflect the day the way they remember it, so talk to them and get an idea of what they like get them to show you pictures and things they like, go to the rehearsal with them, look around the site and think how you are going to present it, talk to the clergy ask what they allow and what they don’t. In other words don’t go in cold and your confidence will grow wedding on wedding.

Finally have a look at this guy’s work and the explanations on using flash and other techniques the article on work flow is very good.

http://www.planetneil.com/index.html

The best of luck.

Great tips Rhodese. Thanks!

in the few weddings I've done I have spoken to the minister usaually just before proceedings but I think I should do this earlier. Going to the rehersal is certainly a good idea.

I realise that the client has their own idea of a good image and also that we all see images differently. I usually ask what types of images they like and can show them a few to see their views on each. I've mostly been chosen by the couples through word of mouth but also because they like the images I show them.

Practice I hope will help.

thanks again for the great tips. :clap:

Kind regards
Jim

Back