weddings - ???????

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Well i was asked to shoot a friends wedding and being a semi beginner declined but offered to shoot some more general day shots and explained why, the usual about getting it right and pressure of the day especially being friends its all about what they expect etc and pushed them towards a pro but due to one thing or another I agreed to shoot circa 10 main shots as the didnt want the formal pro shooter.

below is a link to a online flash gallery in low res, your thoughts would be nice either good or bad

I know i made some school boy errors on the day with composition and exposures and some camera settings, such as metering, exposure (nerves and rushing so as not to keep them waiting) & lighting all shot in Aperture mode all hand held with a nikon D80 fitted with a SB 600 flash and sigma 17-70, indoors in a poorly lit manor house.

I have been quiet critical of myself but not sure if i am over critical so i would like to hear your thoughts to see if we agree, the last few looking upwards are not part of the nikon set its just me messing with a sony point and shoot but it was a fun evening/early morning and wanted them to remember that.

I ended up with 174 images on a dvd slide show and a cdr of the images for them 10 copies for families, all presented and printed etc (18 hrs of editing and work) and 1 very large print mounted, they and the family were over the moon which i guess is a good guage but still interested in other shooters thoughts

Steve

ps richard and judy from TV were stopping there that weekend, no didnt get the paperazi shot

http://www.enconasolutions.co.uk/geoff_abi_wedding/index.html

look out for me I am in a few lol (wife had the cam)

I was going to ask if it was Lower Slaughter Manor... but then I saw it written on one of the shots LOL.

Some great shots in there, especially some of the close-ups. I'm sure they are more than happy with those. Well done (y)

You didn't do badly at all - although I notice in some of them around the fireplace you have a predeliction for not finding the horizontal; if you're shooting parallel to the fireplace then, all things being equal, the mantel should be level so you can use it as a reference.

yes mate it seems my head is about 15 to 20 deg out lol, grid lines now ON in cam, also as the evening went on it got worse

Looks to me like you did a damned fine job there - weddings are tough and you'll always have a lot of throw-aways.

You've done very well - congratulations.

Looks like a good job to me too, i have one to do in August next year for a friend and i'd be chuffed with some of them.

I'll be doing lots of low light practice in churches before hand!

Well done! I've seen pro stuff a lot worse than that!

I agree with the levels as mentioned above and for my 2p worth I would have tried the shot on the stairs in portrait mode rather than landscape but they should be pleased with your work!

I`v been asked to do a wedding next June, Never done one before, Not looking forward to it at all, If i have half the success as you i will be really happy.

thanks for the comments, the best way to learn seems to be just do it and learn from the mistakes, although i had done one before, un intentionally as someone else was doing it but i ended up helping out as it was too much for her on her own that was mainly outside in bright sun which is a different learning curve all together

i think i threw about 300 away, i tried to shoot 3 or 4 of each important shot, i would like to try bracketing maybe next time ehh, one couple there at the event and have seen the out come have aske me to do theres in march but ime not sure its not a path i would like to follow really, but nice to be asked. ehh

Steve

I did a few test shots with the wife first by the fire place whilst the group were chatting and mingling which helped, it was only a small party of 21 which also made it easier but means 21 were watching me all the time not minglinging and chatting

Back