Weeds

Edit My Images
Yes
:)Can anybody tell me what these are called?
weeds.jpg

Posh latin name or nickname - anything will do. Thanks v much.

By the way if the photo is worth a comment, that would be appreciated too!!

Cheers

PS, Actually please do comment on the actual pic because I'm toying with using this black and white version instead and would like to know what you think ....
weedsbw.jpg

What this is about is that I need 4 photos for a camera club comp. and I'm short of a black and white and a natural history so I'm trying to kill two birds.

I don't really do black and white so I know it'll flop, but I need to get something printed and mounted quickly today -in future I'll put more effort in, but I've only recently joined and I'd got the wrong end of the rules.
My other 3 photos are all ready to go.

Thanks again

I'm not sure from the photo but it does look like Clematis Vitalba, or common name Old Mans Beard, or Travellers joy.
We have a lot of it where I live.

I prefer the colour photo, but then I'm not that great a lover of black and white.

The colour versions a lovely photo Melanie !!

I might be tempted to crop an inch or so off the top !!

I'm definately no expert (no training, experience or talent!), but my thoughts are:
the berries work in the colour (would be better sharper) but I find their textural flatness detracts in the B&W where they draw the eye and pull my concentration onto the dark shadow on the left between the tufty bits. For the B&W I wonder if its worth cropping to a portrait format to the right of the berries concentrating on the fluffy bits only or with the berries at one side so they are interest but not a central subject? Cropping to the right in the B&W gets rid of the big dark valleys between the tufts.
Instead of cropping can you bring out more detail in the dark bits on the B&W?

Thanks Hillwalking Girl! Even if it's not definately one of those, at least I can give it a title that's not completely madeup nonsense!

And thanks to the rest of you for the comments - I'm really not happy with this B&W version and will do my best to get something else if possible, but just don't think I'll get time before the night.

Anyhow, I will definately give the cropping idea a shot Wooke and see how it looks then.

Thanks all of you :)

Back