Week in Wales - Acros 100 now, Provia 100F asap

Beautiful colour set Jonathon. Stunning and vivid colours, and I feel cold just looking at the water in number 6; I can imagine it being ice cold, and the composition works so well I can almost see myself standing on the edge.

I wanted to look at them on flickr in more detail, but they appear to be only at that size there?

These are fantastic. I especially like the Gwynant picture - the colours are wonderful. I had great fun swimming across the lake when the weather was warm earlier this year.

G'osh, Woodsy! They are amazing, the light jumps out and smacks me across the face.

More seriously, since this is a crit forum, apart from the light I'm less convinced by no 6. I'm not entirely convinced it's straight, but that's just a gut feeling. The sun is almost behind you, making the mountain more cutout than 3D, and I think it would work better at a time of day with calmer water; as shot the water is neither one thing or another. And if you could just turn that mountain round... but I do really like the shot, and love the light.

No 7 works really well; even the slightly odd silhouetted tree on the left hints at a line up the frame, and I do like the rough water.

No 8 has also gone really well, although maybe a touch blown in the very top bit of sky? I guess you were hanging out for a longer exposure for the water, which has worked very nicely indeed; smoothish with an element of roughness! (I haven't learned to like milky smooth rivers and waterfalls yet; they still feel to me like a photographers arty affectation, but no doubt I'll learn in time.) The range of colours and detail is terrific.

Beautiful colour set Jonathon. Stunning and vivid colours, and I feel cold just looking at the water in number 6; I can imagine it being ice cold, and the composition works so well I can almost see myself standing on the edge.

I wanted to look at them on flickr in more detail, but they appear to be only at that size there?

Many thanks Steve, yes that water was freezing. For another photo, I considered taking my shoes off and wading in to get a completely different perspective. One dip of the pinky finger and that plan was soon retired! Hardly surprising for November though, so I'm not sure what I was thinking!

These are fantastic. I especially like the Gwynant picture - the colours are wonderful. I had great fun swimming across the lake when the weather was warm earlier this year.

Thanks Osh, much appreciated! Especially high praise from someone whose landscapes I very much admire and respect.

More seriously, since this is a crit forum, apart from the light I'm less convinced by no 6. I'm not entirely convinced it's straight, but that's just a gut feeling. The sun is almost behind you, making the mountain more cutout than 3D, and I think it would work better at a time of day with calmer water; as shot the water is neither one thing or another. And if you could just turn that mountain round... but I do really like the shot, and love the light.

No 7 works really well; even the slightly odd silhouetted tree on the left hints at a line up the frame, and I do like the rough water.

No 8 has also gone really well, although maybe a touch blown in the very top bit of sky? I guess you were hanging out for a longer exposure for the water, which has worked very nicely indeed; smoothish with an element of roughness! (I haven't learned to like milky smooth rivers and waterfalls yet; they still feel to me like a photographers arty affectation, but no doubt I'll learn in time.) The range of colours and detail is terrific.

Chris, many thanks for taking the time to write so much :) Number 6 is an odd one in terms of perspective. It is level, but it doesn't look it - I totally agree with you. I believe the issue is that the shoreline is always leading away from my position giving the effect of being non-level? I'll wang it back in captureNX and have a look tonight though as I'm doubting it as well now :D Completely agree about the water too. I'd loved it to have been a mill pond and got a nice reflection, but the constant breeze foiled that. I'll see what I can do about the mountain :D Might need a few more people and some extra spades!

Shot 8 is far blown at the top, yes. It was an impossible scene to grad so I had to live with it sadly. The dynamic range was so great between sky and rock that I simply couldn't have kept it all in on slide film. Perhaps a Portra shot next time. With regard to the water, in truth I can't remember what I was doing! I believe, because it was rather dark down there I simply picked a tilt and aperture that worked and went with what ever exposure the meter gave me!

In truth, I'm not completely happy with any of the photos in this thread. Very nearly in some cases, but none that make me think that I never need to head back to any of the locations ever again. As such, I really appreciate the feedback from everyone :)

So now onto the colour... Finally! Sorry for the wait guys :)

Photograph 6

Llynnau Cregennen, Snowdonia
by Jonathan Woods Photography, on Flickr

Photograph 7

Untitled

photograph 8

The Fairy Glen, Snowdonia

Plus 2 more on flickr I'm not *that* happy with.

Comments welcome as always!

I think you need to update the images lol....
However, I've clicked through to Flickr, and it is much better to see them at 1600.....
The colours are really lovely....
I like number 6, although, the dark tree stump on the left is distracting, but the colours are very rich and warm.
Number 7 I'm not too keen on...
Number 8 though is best viewed bigger....and, although the sky looks blown, it really shows off the lovely autumn colour in the canopy, it has good composition, and your eye is drawn along the river through the gap in the rock wall, it has nice depth.... this is my favourite from your set.
The other waterfall one on Flickr doesn't have the same warmth to it.

Thanks for the feedback Lee :) (Images are now updated - Didn't realise replacing the photos would duff the links here!)

In number 6, where is the tree stump to which you refer? Unless you mean the dead tree in number 7? I'm confused :D

Thanks for the feedback Lee :) (Images are now updated - Didn't realise replacing the photos would duff the links here!)

In number 6, where is the tree stump to which you refer? Unless you mean the dead tree in number 7? I'm confused :D
Lol... yes, I meant the tree stump in number 7 , I got confused with all the tabs I had open.... my eye is drawn straight to it because it's so much darker than anything else.

Well now, I'm liking this modern colour stuff.

No. 6 is excellent, beautifully colourful, super composition and spot on exposure.
No. 7 similar but not quite as nice a composition, still top work though.
No. 8 is my favourite. I think you have really produced a picture of Autumn with this one matey, the colours are just gorgeous and I think the exposure just gives enough milkyness to the water without overdoing it.

Top work, but I'm still not convinced I need an LF camera. :whistle:

Jonathan, the colour images are really engaging. The. colours and composition of all are strong and the detail is just superb. The first two are great but I most like the third, you have really caught the feel of the location, lovely work all round.

Just saw the colour pics in this thread. Wow! Gorgeous colours and great compositions.

I still prefer the B&W ones due to the fantastic tonal range. :)

Back