Weekend weirdness

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
After failing miserably to recreate any oil on water shots (I think Robbo has cursed me!) I've fallen back to creating some of my strange abstracts. All images created with golden syrup, food dye etc with my homemade light table:

Rift in space:
p223136189-4.jpg

Lava flow:
p415446801-4.jpg

Atmosphere:
p460630385-4.jpg

Carl

They are all great mate! they could be used as special effects in films. first lightening, and third as a sky. Evviiill sky! lol

dont say I cursed you! although I think I cured my self atm

Well they're very good! (Even if they're not what you intended to create!)

Thanks Tom, if at first you don't succeed - bugger it and do something else!

They are all great mate! they could be used as special effects in films. first lightening, and third as a sky. Evviiill sky! lol

dont say I cursed you! although I think I cured my self atm

Evil sky was just the effect I was after! I've had 3 attempts at oil on water this week and it just ain't happening, it's getting embarrassing now :shrug:

It might not have been what you set out to do, but these are beautiful :clap:

Care to share how you did them?
I'd love to give this a go.

All shots taken on my homemade light table (opaque tupperware box with an 11w energy efficent bulb mounted inside!) to provide the back lighting.

Rift in space:
The base is golden syrup with black food dye (mixed in an old water bottle).. Once it's thoroughly mixed I poured some into a petri dish (any shallow clear container would do) and the excess is then poured off until you've got a thin coating on the bottom of your dish. Use a toothpick or similar to draw a line in the syrup and hopefully you get a clear strip for the light to pass through.

Lava:
Simply golden syrup in a petri dish, a single drop of red food dye placed in the center which slowly spreads out creating these patterns!

Atmosphere:
Take your dish you used for "Rift in space" and run it under the tap to remove more syrup. You'll be left with a very thin / patchy coating which is reddish in colour (black food dye isn't actually black, it's usually VERY dark red / blue etc). The patterns tend to form naturally.

Have a look at my FlickR for more ideas (Fluid set) of what effects can be achieved!

Carl

Love the rift in space, great job on all of them if these were failures! :)

Good to see golden syrup has at least 1 use. Really bizarre images but interesting to look at.

I've had 3 attempts at oil on water this week and it just ain't happening, it's getting embarrassing now :shrug:

You can't say that! The master - failing? What does that mean for us lesser mortals? :(

You should make a 'How to' thread with your various techniques. I'm sure there will be many people interested.

They are all fantastic - you must 'fail' more often:LOL:

Cheers Breezy!

Love the rift in space, great job on all of them if these were failures! :)

Thanks Emma.

Good to see golden syrup has at least 1 use. Really bizarre images but interesting to look at.

Edible art mate, it's the future!

You can't say that! The master - failing? What does that mean for us lesser mortals? :(

You should make a 'How to' thread with your various techniques. I'm sure there will be many people interested.

:D Indeed the master has failed, I will make the "How To" my next weekend project as I've got to do the setup for my ferrofluid shots as well.

Back