Weekly assignments

Edit My Images
Yes
ok. Nobody noticed this thread in the suggestions forum so i'm gonna cross post it here!

I understand that our admin team are probably working hard enough as it is, but......

I've noticed on other forums they often have a weekly assignment. Not necessarily a competition, but just a theme where everybody gets to submit one photo. We could then discuss merits of said photo's. Maybe set up a poll to arrive at who's is best?

I just thought this might be a good idea to kick start the old creative process. I for one need the occasional kick up the tripod mount!

Thoughts?

i have thought about this myself, might be worth looking into a little more

nothing wrong with the idea but a weekly project puts a lot of pressure on people to get a shot in and you normally end up with a reduced entry.

I find it hard enough keeping up with everything going on at the moment, never mind another one :p

Dod has a good point, it can get quite hectic

hmmm, maybe. But if we keep the themes simple and remove the competitive element then it shouldn't be too stressful. It might also encourage some of the 200 odd members who don't regularly post or enter the competitions to post something.

And being weekly, I certainly wouldn't feel the pressure to enter something every week knowing there's always next week!

I'd also volunteer my services to run it. I have enough spare time at the mo to take on something like this.

Or maybe it can be a 'shot of the week' as I've seen on other forums. Not a particular theme per se, but your best shot that week. Not necessarily something you have to aim for, ala the monthly competition, but just something to keep your mind on the photography and make you pick your camera up at least once a week.
No winners, no losers, just a weekly thing.

Or we could restrict it to topical photos. EG, the fuel protest photos, or something that is in the news, or maybe something that you've heard about.

gandhi said:
ok. Nobody noticed this thread in the suggestions forum so i'm gonna cross post it here!

I understand that our admin team are probably working hard enough as it is, but......

I've noticed on other forums they often have a weekly assignment. Not necessarily a competition, but just a theme where everybody gets to submit one photo. We could then discuss merits of said photo's. Maybe set up a poll to arrive at who's is best?

I just thought this might be a good idea to kick start the old creative process. I for one need the occasional kick up the tripod mount!

Thoughts?

I've seen this too in other forums too. I think it's a good idea. Keeps people talking and sharing ideas with one another that's all. I wouldn't feel any pressure to enter every week, like Ghandi said, there's always next week. Make it bi-weekly if anyone feels any pressure having it weekly.

Jewel

I have no objections at all to any of the above suggestions but like some of the others are not too sure how well it will be suported. To get a sustained amount of entries for the monthly competition takes a lot of reminding and promotion as it is and thats run on a five week cycle.

On saying that if Gandi would like to give it a whirl I will gladly lend it my full support, its costs nothing to try :)

I think Gandhi has it right.

A simple post each week with a theme or subject for that week would be all that is needed.
Those with the time can submit an image either for critique or comment, but the important thing is that it would help to keep us thinking about our hobby. Even if we don't have time to submit an entry we will most likely have it in our minds and that's a good thing.

I know this is slightly off topic but I think it does cross this somewhat...

The monthly competition was started to inspire us all to go out a shoot something that we might not usually consider and then get FEEDBACK from many on our efforts. For the last two months the amount of feedback has dwindled and although the competition is still being supported well, there is not as much benefit for the peeps entering it. I am a little worried that it will become even less well suported if we have a critique expectation on the weekly/fortnightly thing?

What are your thoughts?

I like the idea, but do feel on top of trying to get a shot each week/fortnight and writing a critique on how ever many pics have been entered, would be a little to much in a short space of time. On a variation to this, how about one member, (alphabetically or other) submitting a picture and the rest of the forum giving critique. Whoever does not give a critique misses there turn to submit. Which only means we don't have to try for a pic each week and only write critique on one pic. Don't know if it would or could work and much like the previous suggestions it's actually covered by the photo sharing section anyway.
Just a thought.

I think the more people involved each week/fortnight the better it will be so getting just one member to take a shot may work against the idea. Also not everyone feels qualified/comfortable offering critique so again that may exclude those.

I thing a basic subject or your best shot in the last week is the way to go..but not at the expense of the main monthly competition :)

Steve said:
I think the more people involved each week/fortnight the better it will be so getting just one member to take a shot may work against the idea. Also not everyone feels qualified/comfortable offering critique so again that may exclude those.

I thing a basic subject or your best shot in the last week is the way to go..but not at the expense of the main monthly competition :)
True, But to me it just sounds like the monthly competition only weekly and with no subject.

I'm guilty of not commenting on last months entries, I will certainly do it this time round though.

Steep said:
I'm guilty of not commenting on last months entries, I will certainly do it this time round though.

Nobody is guilty, but many of us (me included) did not find the time to comment which was a bit disapointing ;)

Well it can be a bit of an undertaking if there are a lot of entries. One way to do it though is start your critique during the voting, but as a Word Pad doc. and save it as and when you feel like doing a bit more. When the time comes you can then just cut and paste your critique into the critique thread.

You've just been looking over my shoulder haven't you?????

Thats how I do it too, as time allows I start to critique the pictures and them when the voting is finished I have all the critique ready for posting. I also find that if I do the critique before I enter my votes it gives me the detailed view to pick the best three and not go with my initial gut reaction which I sometimes find can be wrong ;)

The monthly competition is one thing. Simply to pick a theme and let everyone share their take on the subject is another. No pressure for critiques at all really,that's what the monthly comp is for. Some don't feel confident enough for the monthly comp, might get them more involved. They all don't have to be our "best" shots. It's just for fun! I believe ghandi said he would take the time to keep it going too. Can't hurt to try really. So what's our first theme Ghandi?? :)

Jewel.

ok then....... how's this?

a bi-weekly theme, you can post your best shot on that theme in the thread with no discussion. Discussions on the shots can be made in a seperate thread if desired, not necessarily critiqued, just discussed. (starting to sound plagirised from another forum :rolleyes: )

no prizes for winners/losers, subject to be sorted by poll. no pressure to contribute.

I didn't want this to become a heavy competitive kind of deal. It was just designed to make people think a bit and maybe encourage those who don't post photo's that often to 'step up' as it were.

I personally struggle some days to think 'what am I gonna photograph?' and i suspect I'm not the only one. If it's non-competitive then it becomes much more of an arena to bounce ideas off people and garner advice on technique and such. I realise we do this already in the sharing and critique forums but if everyone's working on the same theme it becomes a bit more focused.

If I'm talking out of my compact flash slot then please, don't be afraid to tell me!

Shutter buttons at the ready - just need a target ;)

For what it's worth.........I find it very difficult timewise to fit in a shoot with a particular theme in mind. At the moment I would tend to look for a suitable shot amongst those I have recently taken - and this obviously is the wrong way round. So...a shot of the week/fortnight/month where you can select what you feel is one of your better efforts from recent shoots would I feel open up the idea to more people.

And we've already got one theme compo. Just my twopenneth.

regards

Yes sorry, have been Dragging my heels a little. Got dragged out of the house for a wedding in 'sarf london' on saturday, then got home to find my flatmate had managed to destroy our wireless network at home somehow, so spent most of last night reconfiguring routers and computers. Will Start the relevant threads in the photsharing forum today at some point!

Back