Weevil (2)

Name
George.
Edit My Images
No
This was really just a Test Shot to try out an adapter that I made a few weeks ago to take this particular lens (which is a wide angle lens for large format) on FF & APS-C.
I have since made other adapters in the form of telescopic extension tubes that appear to be working very well.

The shot was done a few weeks ago now as at the moment I just don't have the time or the interest to really shoot too much macro.

Nikon D800, Schneider 120mm Makro-Symmar Lens (with home made adapter), 100-ISO, 1/250th @ F16, Modified Ring Flash.

Weevil (2)-81430 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking.,

George.

I think you could start a thread called "view from the top" :D :p

Be a great ID thread for people to see what they have found ;)

Considering the POV you are very good at getting the focus nailed in the right position which is very hard in this orientation as less easy to see where it falls. (y)

Cracker of a shot George, about time I got the 105mm out of my bag I think

Les

I think you could start a thread called "view from the top" :D :p

Be a great ID thread for people to see what they have found ;)

Considering the POV you are very good at getting the focus nailed in the right position which is very hard in this orientation as less easy to see where it falls. (y)

Thanks Bryn, comments appreciated.(y)

As I said this shot was more about the adapter & lens as apposed to the POV etc. But regardless of what other folk think, as it happens I quite like profile shots of which I have quite a few more.

Maybe I should start a thread called "Just To Annoy Bryn", I'm sure others could also contribute to it then.:):)

George.

Cracker of a shot George, about time I got the 105mm out of my bag I think

Les

Thanks for that Les, much appreciated comments.(y)

George.

I don't care it is a test shot or a pro shot, just a nice shot and glad to see the cutey face of the weevil:)

Thanks for that Icy, much appreciated comments.(y)

George.

Good results from the setup George.

Thanks for that Chris, much appreciated comments.(y)

My latest bit of manufacturing of extension tubes with screw adjustment (much like a macro lens) enables me to to get from about 20 feet down to a scene width of 3mm when using FF and this lens. Or Infinity down to a scene width of 2mm when using APS-C and this lens. This equates to x12 mag if my calculations are correct.

Just In Case Anyone Should Be Interested.
I guess you may not be familiar with these lenses but they are obviously designed for large format cameras and have no focusing mechanism. This one will comfortably cover 10x8 inch format when not using any swing & tilt movements etc. So when used on a FF or APS-C format it's only using a tiny bit of the center of the lens hence optically it can give superlative quality. You can also remove the front block of elements (which it's designed to do) to turn it into a much longer focal length and by doing so it gives a much more reasonable working distance from the subject with macro.

George.

Thanks for that Chris, much appreciated comments.(y)

My latest bit of manufacturing of extension tubes with screw adjustment (much like a macro lens) enables me to to get from about 20 feet down to a scene width of 3mm when using FF and this lens. Or Infinity down to a scene width of 2mm when using APS-C and this lens. This equates to x12 mag if my calculations are correct.

Just In Case Anyone Should Be Interested.
I guess you may not be familiar with these lenses but they are obviously designed for large format cameras and have no focusing mechanism. This one will comfortably cover 10x8 inch format when not using any swing & tilt movements etc. So when used on a FF or APS-C format it's only using a tiny bit of the center of the lens hence optically it can give superlative quality. You can also remove the front block of elements (which it's designed to do) to turn it into a much longer focal length and by doing so it gives a much more reasonable working distance from the subject with macro.

George.
Hang about... have I read that right? You've made a lens that can go from infinity to 12x magnification??? Amazing! Although I love your pics of bugs, I'd love to see a picture of that setup.. ;)

Edit: That lens isn't as pricey as I expected it to be. Fantastically sharp too! Very interesting.
It's 120mm lens, so I assume very useable too at infinity..

Is 120mm classed as wide angle on MF then?

Last edited:
Hang about... have I read that right? You've made a lens that can go from infinity to 12x magnification??? Amazing! Although I love your pics of bugs, I'd love to see a picture of that setup.. ;)

Thanks for that Tim, No I have not made the actual lens, that is one that I use in the studio on my 5x4 technical cameras and is quite compact as there is no focusing mechanism within the lens itself. Just an aperture diaphragm and a leaf shutter that is left in the open for viewing state. A decent old enlarging lens could also be used for this setup and if it was one that could cover a larger format ie 6x6cm or 6x7cm etc it could also be used for for a certain amount of tilt/shift/rise/fall & swing movements that I see you are showing some interest in another thread.

What I have done is to make some telescopic extension tubes that expand and contract very much like how some macro lenses focus by extending the actual lens elements away from the focal plane. They work very similar to the way a set of bellows would work but without the bulk between the lens and the camera but still maintaining rigidity just like a normal set of tubes.

The distance between the camera lens mount and the rear mount of the lens when using a non manufacturers lens on APS-C ie Nikon FF lens on Fuji X is about 28.5mm if you want to focus at infinity. So I figured if I could make up a series of small extension tubes no longer than 28.5mm each that screw inside each other much like a telescope then with the right mounts I should be able to get a lens to focus from infinity to how ever close I wanted to, so this is what I have been working on. I have not as yet worked out how I can get the lens to focus at infinity with a FF camera because no extension is needed between the lens & camera mounts so no room to place the tubes etc. One idea I have is to possibly add another lens element at the base of the tubes that will allow me to get the main lens away from the camera. I have several old lenses kicking around so I might strip some of the elements out of them and see just what I can come up with.

Hope this doesn't all seem like double dutch as explaining things in print is not my forte, but at the moment things are looking towards promising.

George.

Edit: That lens isn't as pricey as I expected it to be. Fantastically sharp too! Very interesting.
It's 120mm lens, so I assume very useable too at infinity..

Is 120mm classed as wide angle on MF then?

Our posts must have crossed Tim, 120mm is not wide angle on Medium Format, but is wide angle on Large Format.

I have no idea of how much these things cost now as I have had mine for ages but yes it's probably the sharpest lens I've ever used. And as you can appreciate because it will cover up to 10x8 (inch) format, when using it on a smaller format camera you are only using the center bit of the lens which is usually the sharpest bit on any lens. Any of the Schneider Large Format lenses are of superlative quality both optically and mechanically.

George.

Back